Item not as described returns.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
Sorry, I know this has probably been posted before, but I can't find anything specific.

I ordered a bracelet that was on screen and described as one length, but when was too short when I tried it. Thought it was a bit odd so measured it. Yep, shorter than described. Went online and the details have been updated. But NOT the video - which clearly shows the old length on the descriptions. So I took a load of screen shots and rang CS.

CS agent tried to deny it and was a bit short with me UNTIL I told her to check out the video. She came back and said she'd send a pre-paid label which she has.

So, it's gone back and I've been credited but NOT the original postage. Should they have credited that as well? I'm not well enough up on the rules and regs, but I know most of you will have the answer.

TIA

Sorry, I know this has probably been posted before, but I can't find anything specific.

I ordered a bracelet that was on screen and described as one length, but when was too short when I tried it. Thought it was a bit odd so measured it. Yep, shorter than described. Went online and the details have been updated. But NOT the video - which clearly shows the old length on the descriptions. So I took a load of screen shots and rang CS.

CS agent tried to deny it and was a bit short with me UNTIL I told her to check out the video. She came back and said she'd send a pre-paid label which she has.

So, it's gone back and I've been credited but NOT the original postage. Should they have credited that as well? I'm not well enough up on the rules and regs, but I know most of you will have the answer.

TIA
Not sure the Q would agree but they have misold a product and you have the proof. I would go back to them and challenge, tell the you are going to trading standards...

I think that because they have clearly mis sold an item, your original postage should be refunded.
I would ring cs and politely ask for the original postage to be refunded because it was originally mis sold to you.
I find if you are polite with cs, they are usually reasonable to requests.
If they refuse to budge then threaten with trading standards.

TIA

I think you should have had a full refund including original postage. Don't let it rest until they've given you that too.

I would make sure they gave you the original p & p back too - it was not as described and it should have been and, therefore, was not your fault.

I have ALWAYS had my original PP refunded in similar circumstances, as well as a free return label.

This is when something is not as described (as in your case) or faulty.

Yes you should have got the p&p back as its not as described when you ordered it, that's why they've sent you a pre-paid label because they know they're wrong, so don't let them get away with it, ring them back and ask to speak to a manager or someone in charge and tell them you wouldn't have ordered it it they'd have put the right details, so tell them as the wrong item was sent to you, a different one to the one described, you want the postage refunded as you are fully entitled to it.

I would just ring CS and say that, when you checked your refund, you haven't been refunded the outward postage. They will then have to explain why. If they argue the point, insist you are entitled to it, as the item was missold. I son't think you will have a problem.

Well, I asked and had quite a short reply telling me that they'd been kind enough to supply a label and a note was on my account saying I'd sent an item back saying it was the wrong size, but when checked it wasn't!

I asked the advisor to check the item again and explained that I could see they've now updated the description, but the screenshot I took at the time I ordered had the original longer length in the description. Another verbal tussle where I was told that they don't accept screenshots as "evidence" so I asked if they would kindly check the video which is STILL UP as the longer length is still shown in the side box on the video. Silence. Then, another agreement that I was indeed correct - bearing in mind I'd already gone through all this when I requested the label.

I asked what would be done about the note on my account which basically says I'm lying about items in order to get free returns and was told that notes couldn't be removed or ammended. I asked that a new note be placed to which advisor agreed, but I don't know if it will be. The original postage will also be credited - I checked the amount and was told £2.95 and then had to argue that I was charged £3.95. I'll be watching my bank account closely.

If anyone else has had this kind of thing happen, have you also had "LIAR" notes placed on your accounts?

Well, I asked and had quite a short reply telling me that they'd been kind enough to supply a label and a note was on my account saying I'd sent an item back saying it was the wrong size, but when checked it wasn't!

I asked the advisor to check the item again and explained that I could see they've now updated the description, but the screenshot I took at the time I ordered had the original longer length in the description. Another verbal tussle where I was told that they don't accept screenshots as "evidence" so I asked if they would kindly check the video which is STILL UP as the longer length is still shown in the side box on the video. Silence. Then, another agreement that I was indeed correct - bearing in mind I'd already gone through all this when I requested the label.

I asked what would be done about the note on my account which basically says I'm lying about items in order to get free returns and was told that notes couldn't be removed or ammended. I asked that a new note be placed to which advisor agreed, but I don't know if it will be. The original postage will also be credited - I checked the amount and was told £2.95 and then had to argue that I was charged £3.95. I'll be watching my bank account closely.

If anyone else has had this kind of thing happen, have you also had "LIAR" notes placed on your accounts?

That is a rubbish way to treat a customer. Perhaps an email to Dermot Boyd about the whole thing might be in order. Notes like that could lead to you getting "the letter" or even having your account summarily closed.

That is a rubbish way to treat a customer. Perhaps an email to Dermot Boyd about the whole thing might be in order. Notes like that could lead to you getting "the letter" or even having your account summarily closed.

Thanks, MML.

I did wonder about that. I rarely return, but they seem to be getting very tight these days.

I don't suppose I can blame them, though. TBH I only ever buy if they're cheaper than anyone else (factoring the P&P costs), or if they're the same price, offer EP. Or, if I want to try something that may not suit like makeup etc. That doesn't mean to say I buy very little off them, though.

I'm annoyed because I'm an honest person and wouldn't complain about something unless I have my facts straight - hence screenshots with everything these days. Comes to something when I have to do this, though.

I'd recommend everyone do this to protect themselves, and if you don't know how to take a screenshot, take a pic of your screen with your phone. Keep all emails, and if it's high cost or important, email it to yourself.

Judging from what so many people say on the Facebook page, AE, I wouldn't be at all surprised at what they would put on people's accounts. I've seen a lot of posts where people are complaining that when they have called with problems such as yours they have virtually been accused of lying. It's becoming increasingly clear from the threads on that page that QVC staff haven't the faintest idea how to treat customers properly, and have no concept of good service or of how to behave decently when the customer is in the right and QVC is in the wrong. The number of complaints on the FB page is quite appalling and they all stem from sloppy and inefficient staff who don't do their jobs properly. Much of the reason, I believe, is that the average age of the QVC staff member is about 18, but most of them come across as about 12. They have no business experience, no life experience and they are clearly badly educated. This is proven by the fact that the QVC staff on FB are not allowed to actually write their own responses to the customers' posts. They have a selection of responses which have clearly been written by some PR company and they just press a button to computer generate and post one of these responses. This means that the same identical responses are posted dozens of times a day. The Social Media team on the FB page rarely seem to understand the questions being asked of them so the answers they put up are invariably inappropriate for the question that's been asked. They also seem unable to concentrate long enough to read to the end of their customers' posts. If they actually manage to grasp what the customer is saying, they very often miss that the customer is asking more than one thing in the same post and the customer only gets an answer for the first thing they ask. I saw a post from someone complaining about that today. If you watch that page for any length of time it becomes obvious that most of the people responding on behalf of QVC are pretty thick. I have seen nothing that gives me reason to believe that the rest of the staff are any different. If I were you I'd call them again tomorrow and check what it says on your account now.

Scout - you are so right. I really don't want to sound like an old fart, but I never have a problem with older advisors, only the youngsters. That goes across the board.

I'm about to ring BT now. That should be fun. The last one I had sounded so young, it was like his wotsits hadn't dropped!

I wouldn't put any faith in contacting Mr Boyd if I were you. Someone on FB was advised by someone else to do that just yesterday, and immediately someone else put up a post saying that they had emailed him direct with a complaint and have never received a response. They're not the first person to say that. People have also complained to the head office in the US about QVC UK and not received a reply.

I was once so angry with British Gas and their lack of assistance that I phoned the Chairman's office. I was put through to his PA, who agreed that I was quite right to be so angry and asked me to give her a couple of hours to sort my complaint out. An hour and a half later the area manager and an engineer turned up on my doorstep and my complaint was sorted out that day. The PA phoned while they were there to ensure it was happening. QVC could learn a great deal from that lady.

I always video TV presentations and take screenshots of anything I'm buying, just in case.

So far, I've always got what I asked for. Sometimes I have had to ring again and speak to someone else, or ask to speak to a supervisor.

There was a blatant error in one of the TV graphics that I posted about at the time, but can't remember what it was now.

I always video TV presentations and take screenshots of anything I'm buying, just in case.

This is a very good idea Strato, I haven't done that before but they're so far down the toilet now that I shall do it in future. I only buy from them now if there's no alternative but all indications are that even if you only buy one thing a year they'll screw it up.

qvc act as if they are the fbi when trying to keep your postage money. they forget many mail order companies give you a free returns label enclosed with your order. i know i have been flagged so they watch me when i want a refund. to save energy i dont tend to order anything

I've never had a problem getting a full refund for a mis sold item, but I suppose it could be the luck of the draw who answers the phone.
It's Ideal World I have a problem with - I refuse to use the, but my mother ordered 2 spirilisers from them. One was broken so they arranged for a collection, but it got lost on return - she had to phone 4 times to get it sorted, each time bring left on hold on an expensive line - at least it's free to ring QVC !

Actually QVC have no choice but to refund the cost of the P&P that you paid to have the item shipped to you whether the item was faulty or not.

Under the Consumer Contract Regulations which implemented the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law applies to all purchases made at a distance and came into law on the 14th June 2014 replacing the Distance Selling Regulations and it states that....The original cost of the outbound postage to you should always be refunded by the seller.

Try quoting that to a telephone jockey.

And if they want to check it themselves direct them to the Trading Standard or Which? websites :mysmilie_10:

Hope this helps!

Not sure the Q would agree but they have misold a product and you have the proof. I would go back to them and challenge, tell the you are going to trading standards...

When I have bought from the 'online river' or other catalogue on-line stores the outgoing postage has never been paid back (in a few situations it has via the 'online river' store but always as gestures of goodwill), as there argument is (and I suppose they are technically right in this), is that they had to send the item out in the first place.

However there is a link below to a very good independent consumer site which should hopefully help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Returning-goods-Faulty-or-not-who-pays-postage-/10000000142555623/g.html

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returns-and-refunds/#.VxNLdTArKhc

If you scroll down a little it mentions about the OFT's actual guidelines on the situation and it does indeed state that if a product is 'faulty' then you are entitled to your postage returned. The item was not as described, unlike in a shop where you could in essence 'try before you buy' you can't on 'selly telly' thus you have to go by the 'oh so honest' description of the presenter. No you should get the postage back, though turning this into 'actualness' is another matter.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but I hope it helps!

Latest posts

Back