Is the one-shoulder love affair over Jill?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Many years ago (before all the legislation) I worked in a sunbed salon. There was a red haired, pale, freckled lady who came in daily, covered herself in brylcreem (no I kid you not) and spent 40 minuites a time on a sunbed.

Each day when she left she was as red as a beetroot, looking like she was about to have a heart attack and the next day when she came back in the only difference you could see was more freckles.

I dread what to think she will be like now (if shes here at all)

hmmmm...i know i'm biased as despite having fair skin, i don't really burn, i have mixed feelings about sun lotion.

1. i'm not so sure it's a good idea to slather yourself in chemicals. on the odd occasion i have used it, it's brought me out in hives which is nearly as painful as sunburn.

2. i also think with the amount of sun we get in this country (and possibly a few days abroad), the risks are relatively low.

3. yet another 'factor' ;) - more and more people are found to be vitamin D deficient since we've been told to hide from the sun.

I also worry about the trend of spraying yourself orange all year round - I see health warning headlines, cancer scares etc emerging in the not too distant future.

One of my worst roastings was in Tenerife too, overcast morning, no suncream, out & about shopping before lunch, my chest & shoulders were crimson & blistered for 5days! Ruined the 1st week of my hols.. Totally gutted as I'd never really been burnt before as our family has had a holiday home in Cyprus for many years & coz we were there 4wks at a time, we had to be careful.

I also worry about the trend of spraying yourself orange all year round - I see health warning headlines, cancer scares etc emerging in the not too distant future.

I had a spray tan a couple of years ago for a special 'do' and it was horrible! I felt sticky all night, but it did look good though!

Whenever anyone mentions skin cancer and how the skin "remembers" sun damage, I think of the Tenerife incident, but also my first ever exposure to sun aged about 8 on the isle of wight. Another child said to me "you've got all bubbles on your shoulders".....

My first experience of sunstroke and excruciating sunburn was on the Isle of Wight too - summer of '76. The sun was so hot it melted my wax crayons while I colouring out in the garden.

And don't forget 'sun in' that delightful, organic, caring, gentle, natural hair lightener. With the advert where glossy blonde girl was unrecognisable from her passport photo. It made me unrecognisable too. Straw for hair for years. That and red shoulders from trying to get a tan.

Horribly allergic to chemical sunscreen and come out in a rash from sun anyway.

Burlz your iPad actually had some power in the battery, what went wrong?

Shes on the origins show and wow she looks like shes really aged since i last watched a show with her on

Pushing her fringe to the side is not doing her any favours, it is aging her!

Latest posts

Back