Instagram worthy

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Getting married is exciting (and stressful) and for those involved it can become all consuming so it's understandable if they become wedding-bores. The same applies to some folk with a new baby or pet. I can still talk for England to anyone who'll listen to me prattle on about my kids (they're not babies by any means) or pets past and current.

Under English law getting married is a great short-hand way to establish firm legal relationships in terms of land and other property, plus a new will for both parties works well; plus you get to throw a big family and friends party (if that's something you'd enjoy) Given that presenters must be desperate for any new angle they can add to their selling patter, coupled with a major life event and Bride-to-be Julia happens, or grandmothers Debbie and Ali Keenan. I'm happy for all of them and because I watch very few live hours they don't get on my nerves. I mostly shop online or record and fast-forward through presentations but I wish them well.

I watch very few live hours because an increasing number of presenters get on my nerves but there is something wrong there. Surely, the presenters should make us want to watch and we shouldn’t have to record and fast forward or watch on mute.

One of my closest friends recently married after being together for 40 odd years. No children, and I asked her why she bothered. In two words..... pension status. They had already sorted the Wills out, but unless there is a marriage certificate a non-married partner is not entitled to the other's pension in the event of death.

As I am a complete stranger to Ms Roberts, I am neither interested in her private life or that of the other presenters who insist on regaling us with stories which expect either compliments or congratulations.

I don't bore others with endless photos of my dog/holiday/garden/newly decorated lounge/roast dinner, so I don't need to be equally bored with the anticipated gushing over pictures of grandchildren being potty trained, holidays snaps with toddler grandchildren/ family party showing sullen teenage grandchildren !!!!

So those with grandchildren please 'think' before you bring out the Smartphone loaded with kiddie photos, some people might prefer walking over hot coals than enduring endless swiped pics.

OMG. Bristles you have hit the nail on the head. What a great reply. I can’t bo bothered with the endless inane muttering of people’s children or grand children. They think if they’re interested, there must be something wrong with us if we don’t- boring.

R
Blimey! Not a lot of love for Julia around here, is there? Lots of people get very excited when they are planning a wedding, even if they have been together for decades. Should we be surprised or irritated? I mean, if it wasn't important to them, they wouldn't be doing it, would they? Good luck to them, I say. I hope their day is just what they want it to be.
Granted it can become a bit boring when people keep talking about weddings, babies, new pets, holiday homes, or whatever (on tv, at work or in everyday life) but, if something's important to someone, surely we can allow them time to share it with others? It's not doing any harm.

It’s the time they take sharing that interferes with their job of selling.

R

It’s the time they take sharing that interferes with their job of selling.

I agree, imagine going in to Selfridges, John Lewis or Argos and the woman behind the till is going on, and on, and on to her colleague about her upcoming wedding while you're waiting for some information. Any other job you'd get the sack if you're a serial offender like QVC presenters, but nothing gets you the sack on QVC.

I reckon they sometimes struggle to waffle for a full 60 minutes and their recent life event helps them pad out their patter; or they just think their fans will enjoy their over-sharing.

I reckon they sometimes struggle to waffle for a full 60 minutes and their recent life event helps them pad out their patter; or they just think their fans will enjoy their over-sharing.

If I was kind I would say it’s padding but judging by the arsebook posters I think it is the latter.

One of my closest friends recently married after being together for 40 odd years. No children, and I asked her why she bothered. In two words..... pension status. They had already sorted the Wills out, but unless there is a marriage certificate a non-married partner is not entitled to the other's pension in the event of death.

As I am a complete stranger to Ms Roberts, I am neither interested in her private life or that of the other presenters who insist on regaling us with stories which expect either compliments or congratulations.

I don't bore others with endless photos of my dog/holiday/garden/newly decorated lounge/roast dinner, so I don't need to be equally bored with the anticipated gushing over pictures of grandchildren being potty trained, holidays snaps with toddler grandchildren/ family party showing sullen teenage grandchildren !!!!

So those with grandchildren please 'think' before you bring out the Smartphone loaded with kiddie photos, some people might prefer walking over hot coals than enduring endless swiped pics.

Do people really show pics of grandchildren's potty training? Whaaaaaat?

OMG. Bristles you have hit the nail on the head. What a great reply. I can’t bo bothered with the endless inane muttering of people’s children or grand children. They think if they’re interested, there must be something wrong with us if we don’t- boring.

I have a colleague who speaks about almost nothing other than her two children. She goes on and on about every boring,mundane detail to the point where it drives me mad. Whenever I'm stuck with her for any length of time I just talk about flying and aeroplanes in minute detail.

I have a colleague who speaks about almost nothing other than her two children. She goes on and on about every boring,mundane detail to the point where it drives me mad. Whenever I'm stuck with her for any length of time I just talk about flying and aeroplanes in minute detail.

Probably goes straight over her head! :mysmilie_17:

They are probably worth a fortune between them. Recently in New York to watch a game of footie, then within a very short space of time off to Mauritius, don't know about the rest of you, I've never had 2 expensive holidays that close together, and they had other 'breaks' away too just prior to the end of the year - wow it's ok for some.

Do people really show pics of grandchildren's potty training? Whaaaaaat?

You'd better believe it ! and I'm supposed to do the obligatory ooooo and aaaaar , when I'm told how cute they look. People are rightly proud of their offspring, and should be, but keep it within the family, as no bugger else is remotely interested.

You'd better believe it ! and I'm supposed to do the obligatory ooooo and aaaaar , when I'm told how cute they look. People are rightly proud of their offspring, and should be, but keep it within the family, as no bugger else is remotely interested.

Blimey!!! Sounds like a case of 'Spot the turd'. It will be so funny if you mutter something like that next time the phone comes out!

I have never had children which makes me even more disinterested. People with children and grandchildren just don’t comprehend how boring, and uninterested I think it is. I can’t take part in a conversation or subject of no interest to me.

Incidentally, there is a programme widely (apparently) enjoyed by millions in the UK which totally takes the biscuit. I speak of “ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE. I never have had any interest in a show like this so have never watched it, mainly for all the reasons I gave above. It is sufficient from the programme description for me to have no interest in it. What baffles me is why such a show should be of interest to any but those immediately affected, I.e. the parents or exhibitionists, because that’s how I perceive them. Childbirth has no interest for me, I think the whole birthing thing is disgusting, and should be private.

My apologies to anyone who thinks childbirth is a lovely experience!

Latest posts

Back