I hope Emma Hardie isn't going to...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm pleased that u found cheaper alternatives that are doing a great job. Sadly for me I've never been lucky to find cheaper skin products that are as good. I've never spent £100's or even approaching that for 1 pot of face cream but I do love getting good creams at a reasonable price. x

I am SO over expensive cleansers. I'm using Superdrug's Naturally Radiant hot cloth cleanser for £2.99 for 150ml (on offer). Shock, horror, my face still looks the same as before (when using expensive stuff)

I have used EH's Moringa Balm. It's nice, but I didn't notice any big difference at all. The only product that I thought was any cop are her little jars of rosehip seeds that you add to any cleanser you use. They exfoliate better than anything else. I might have a look on Ebay to see how much they are.

My days of expensive skincare are over. I cannot afford or justify it anymore. I have been sucked in by so much hype over the years and have finally woken up to realise that most of it is absolute b*ll*cks. My skin still looks and feels the same using cheaper, high street skincare.

My cat's boosters jabs cost £50 this month. That is a justified and necessary expensive. 4 pots of gloop for the same price isn't.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Hear hear!! I am on my last pot of pcmc then I shall be returning to Aldi, the blue hydro something or other. Like pcmc, but blue!! I have 3 lots of pro radiance left but may look for an alternative when I run out. I have started using Judith Williams hylauronic (sp) concentrate and it's fab! Not sure what it's doing exactly, but it makes my skin feel nice and firm and I'm not getting any negative reactions. I bought the duo and it's lasting forever. I am not sure if I'll replace it. I have switched from Philosophy Microdelivery to the St Ives apricot scrub. It's doing a grand job but I don't like the consistency, so I may treat myself to the Elemis Skin Buff as I really like this. But all my choices are based on texture and what they feel like on the skin rather than the woo woo claims made about them!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I`m a high street gal these days. I went through a short lived phase of buying skincare and makeup from Q but soon realised it was often much easier to go to Boots, Superdrug, Aldi or Debenhams and try the damned stuff before buying and often come away with free samples. The Clinique and Clarins girls at my local Debenhams are brill for giving away freebies to try. Often the stuff from Q wasn`t suitable and many an item has been thrown away because i either couldn`t be bothered to return it or it didn`t live up to expectations. I must have wasted a small fortune.
I had mega problems finding a foundation which didn`t irritate my uber sensitive eyes or was the perfect colour and texture. Trying to find it online was a pain, often shades were totally different than shown on screen and often they were too thick or too irritating. Finally I found one, purely by chance whilst browsing in Superdrug, the new Maybelline Fit Me foundation, its more like a gel, isn`t thick or heavy, good colour range, doesn`t irritate, stays put, doesn`t settle in my laughter lines ( I refuse to call them wrinkles ) and cost me £6.99 or thereabouts. Bah humbug to Q and its so called bargain prices !

I must try that foundation once I use up my EU mountain of current ones from Mally & Mac. I have to say Superdrug's own fake tan is by far the best I've tried & that's many over the years. Doesn't irritate my face or cause breakouts either x.

i find cheaper skincare rarely has any fancy ingredients to cause major skin conerns where fancy ingredients sometimes do. i think its a lovely treat if your preference is to spend your money on nice stuff as it does make one feel pampered but i dont necesarily think a £60 moistuiriser will give far better results than say olay or nivea or aldi

Morrisons Connexions Anti Wrinkle Day and Night creams. £1.99 each, for a pump jar. IMO they're excellent moisturisers that don't irritate me. No fancy scents or oils but the "ingreeejunts" are the same as on the pots of far more expensive items.

I have to admit the eye cream burnt my extremely sensitive eyelids, so it's back to Simple eye gel. However, reading the packaging on that, the ingredients are far from simple - you need a chemistry degree to work them out.

Does anyone else do what I do ?
I have a browse around all the cosmetic and skincare counters in the large stores and look at the sales staff for each of the brands, seeing who is and who is not a good advert for the brand they represent. same on Qvc.

I have a browse around all the cosmetic and skincare counters in the large stores and look at the sales staff for each of the brands, seeing who is and who is not a good advert for the brand they represent. same on Qvc.

Good point China Girl yes I do that too unless I'm at the MAC counter as the girls & boys look as young as embreos there x.

I know what you mean, but having said that I used to work on one of those counters and I didn't actually use any of their skincare. I did wear the make up as you're kind of forced (literally) to apply it by the bucketload. I think a lot of the counter staff are using other stuff or are temporary, there were a lot of shifting staff when I was there. I do the same as you with QVC though, for some reason. It would be funny if Liz Earle actually has a dressing table covered in Clarins or something.

I think Liz must have SOME variety, surely she would get bored using nothing but her own brand for almost 20 years.

I used to buy clinique just for the bonus times, in the days when you got decent stuff in them. I would always buy a Touch base for eyes and a glossy black mascara, until they changed the rule so you HAD to buy a skincare product to qualify, then I stopped buying the brand altogether. I started buying bobbi brown as the counter staff seem to look ok, and the quality and neutral tones were nice.

I only bought Mac stuff once, wasn't overly impressed with the quality and the staff where far too cool for cats.

I used to like some of the body shop skincare, but switched to cleanse and polish in the late 90's and then nothing was better than that. I wasn't loyal to the rest of the brand though and usually used a nivea sensitive moisturiser that cost around £9 from boots. Then I switched to LE superskin and dabbled with Elemis a bit, until discovering Emma Hardie.

I really can't gamble with too many cheap creams such as Aldi as I have had far too many reactions and always went back to Liz Earle and the Nivea sensitive. Not sure if they still do it.

At the height of my sensitivity issues I tried a clarins serum in a teeny tiny white bottle, it was about 28 pounds and contained licorice. It was meant to calm over sensitive skin and it worked a treat! No idea if they still do it and can't remember the name of it.

I am SO over expensive cleansers. I'm using Superdrug's Naturally Radiant hot cloth cleanser for £2.99 for 150ml (on offer). Shock, horror, my face still looks the same as before (when using expensive stuff)

I have used EH's Moringa Balm. It's nice, but I didn't notice any big difference at all. The only product that I thought was any cop are her little jars of rosehip seeds that you add to any cleanser you use. They exfoliate better than anything else. I might have a look on Ebay to see how much they are.

My days of expensive skincare are over. I cannot afford or justify it anymore. I have been sucked in by so much hype over the years and have finally woken up to realise that most of it is absolute b*ll*cks. My skin still looks and feels the same using cheaper, high street skincare.

My cat's boosters jabs cost £50 this month. That is a justified and necessary expensive. 4 pots of gloop for the same price isn't.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

If you like the exfoliating effect from the seeds you could try balmbalm hibiscus mask, its about eight pounds for a pot, either direct from balmbalm, or feel unique, lovelula, big green smile or naturisimo. Its a rice powder base that you are supposed to mix to a paste with a little water and apply as a mask, but instead I mix some of the powder with either cream/balm cleanser or cream wash. It gives a great exfoliating effect that way.

I first bought an EH starter kit back in March to try before I splashed out on the huge pot of balm that was the beauty pick of the month.
I loved it. I loved the smell and the way it made my skin feel. All was brilliant for the first 6 weeks, so much so I bought a further 2 starter kits (seemed a good way to get an extra cloth and travel sizes) and I also bought her first TSV.
It was a week after using the TSV that my skin took a turn for the worse.
My eyes went watery and red and the skin went dry and scaley. The psoriasis was all around my eyes, neck and hands.
I stopped using EH but had to go to my GP to get a steroid cream to sort out my skin. The psoriasis went in 3 days.
I loved the products but they didn't love me.
I've got a cabinet full of EH products that I cannot use. I even tried the balm again in the hope that I was allergic to something else in the range but the next morning my eyes were red again so I stopped using it.
The worse bit is, since then my skin has not been good at all. I am spottier than I've ever been. My skin doesn't even like me using products that I've used for years.
I'm not blaming it on EH products as I am sure they are great for most, but I just want my clear skin back. :sad:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that Red :sad:

Hopefully it just needs some time to recover and settle down again. Maybe your doctor can give you some more advice or a mild steroid/antibiotic cream mix if she/he thinks it is appropriate. I had some Fucibet years ago which is like that and it really worked. But your case may be very different. Also, if it is hormonal, I've found taking Agnus Castus (from the Kira brand, in Boots) helps to limit that.

Hopefully just keeping things pared down with your products and giving it time..hope you'll be clear and glowing again soon!

I first bought an EH starter kit back in March to try before I splashed out on the huge pot of balm that was the beauty pick of the month.
I loved it. I loved the smell and the way it made my skin feel. All was brilliant for the first 6 weeks, so much so I bought a further 2 starter kits (seemed a good way to get an extra cloth and travel sizes) and I also bought her first TSV.
It was a week after using the TSV that my skin took a turn for the worse.
My eyes went watery and red and the skin went dry and scaley. The psoriasis was all around my eyes, neck and hands.
I stopped using EH but had to go to my GP to get a steroid cream to sort out my skin. The psoriasis went in 3 days.
I loved the products but they didn't love me.
I've got a cabinet full of EH products that I cannot use. I even tried the balm again in the hope that I was allergic to something else in the range but the next morning my eyes were red again so I stopped using it.
The worse bit is, since then my skin has not been good at all. I am spottier than I've ever been. My skin doesn't even like me using products that I've used for years.
I'm not blaming it on EH products as I am sure they are great for most, but I just want my clear skin back. :sad:

the geranium oli is beautiful in an oil burner as i love the smell but i know that if i used it on my face i would be in major trouble. most of the more expensive brands use esential oils but they can cause major irritation for some me included. even eve lom cleanser causes me problems even though l loved using it. sell off you emma harding on the bay or on the drop here so you can get some of your money back red.

I think just like with makeup, less is often more when it comes to skin care. People pile so much stuff on their faces in search of a perfect complexion and it often has the opposite effect. We basically only need to keep it clean and hydrated and many of the ingredients unbalance the skin IMO. A facecloth exfoliates, a simple cleanser cleans and a good moisturiser ( by good I don`t mean always expensive ) keeps it hydrated and the more ingredients in something then the more chance something will disagree with your skin.
I`ve been as guilty as the next person for thinking the more expensive the brand then the better it must be but experience has taught me otherwise. We fall for the hype, the packaging, the thought we`re buying luxury, the advertising and the high costs and we really don`t need to.

I have said before, in the old days pre roseaca I could use any brand and did. Now its just too much hassle wasting money even it only a few pounds to end up with a red rash and or the spots from roseaca.

I bought some Boots Time Delay on offer earlier in the year and thought YES!!!!! But after a few days, was asked about the red rash on the side of my face. I think I was ignoring it hoping everything was fine. I am using the serum under my Marks and Spencer neck cream to use up. I have a face cream which I will just use as a neck cream as well as some point.

As I have no problem with the M&S neck cream took a chance on the PURE Overnight Oil and its lovely no problems. Only £6, yes small bottle but on drop does the whole face.

The weird thing is I can use any foundation I have bought, perhaps its because I use a primer under it????

Most of the cosmetic counters the staff get free products, they have allocations they can order for themselves every few months. Some use and some may sell on ebay or give away to family. One friend loved the brand she worked for, but preferred a different brand's foundation. She actually bought and wore the one she liked.

I posted this on another thread a while back, but I had a really bad reaction to the Elemis pro radiance cleanser. Antihistamines sorted that out but I was left with sore, dry, red skin that looked and felt awful. The only thing that helped my skin back to normal was Estee Lauder night repair, love that product.

Morrisons Connexions Anti Wrinkle Day and Night creams. £1.99 each, for a pump jar. IMO they're excellent moisturisers that don't irritate me. No fancy scents or oils but the "ingreeejunts" are the same as on the pots of far more expensive items.

The sensitive cleanser in Morrisons range also works brilliantly with a muslin cloth as a substitute for Lady Liz's overpriced gunk.

Latest posts

Back