How much would you spend on "a beach coverup"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
As per usual this is being trotted out as the ideal use for every bit of fashion they show. Ali K has just told us to spend 99 quid on one! Now I don't do beaches/pools but if I did I would be looking for something in a sale for a couple of quid as it is bound to get covered in sun tan lotion etc.

BUT then I don't holiday in the same elite circles as Q presenters. If I spent 99 quid on a wisp of fabric I would be keeking it for a bit of an occassion.

I don't 'do' beaches or pools either, unless it's out of season, getiing blown away or frozen, and walking the dog. So my idea of a beach cover-up would be a fleece or waterproof :sun:

If the sun did make an appearance, a nice linen cardi/jumper would do...

Definitely not £90! Besides, there's only so many beach cover up's you can use, it can't really be a default reason to buy the many QVC items that aren't really fit to be worn outside in other capacity.

Two week holiday in your £99 beach cover-up, £3-ish to return it when you get back.

over-size man's shirt from the charity shop with the sleeves rolled up a tad - very appealing over a bikini and tan.

Absolutely agree - I feel uber glamourous in one of my chaps old shirts over a bikini, for even more sexiness add heels or wedges (for lunch at the bar/cafe not on the beach - heels on the beach are just plain stupid!)

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't spend anything as I am still using an Indian Sarong that was given to me as a present in the 1980s. Not one of the beautiful elaborate ones, but a soft cotton one that serves as a shawl, skirt, wrap around dress, towel and anything else I want it to do.

I bought one of those Saress dress type cover ups in a sale a few winters ago. They weigh nothing, can be scrunched into a ball, don`t crease, are semi waterproof so if your swimsuit is wet the dress doesn`t seem to get wet, they`re bright and colourful ( mine is red, white and black floral pattern ) and they`re cool and lightweight. I think I paid about £12 for mine in the sale and its the ankle length style so it looks like a maxi dress.

I wouldn't spend £90 but I would spend a fair amount if it made me look and feel really good.I'm not a confident body on holiday or in swimwear - I do it,because life is for living and I refuse to miss out - but I don't mind admitting I would spend the money to make me feel better myself...probably up to £40.

I bought one of those Saress dress type cover ups in a sale a few winters ago. They weigh nothing, can be scrunched into a ball, don`t crease, are semi waterproof so if your swimsuit is wet the dress doesn`t seem to get wet, they`re bright and colourful ( mine is red, white and black floral pattern ) and they`re cool and lightweight. I think I paid about £12 for mine in the sale and its the ankle length style so it looks like a maxi dress.

Could I ask how to judge the sizing on these? Also I am only 5ft so imagine it would need taking up - would a dressmaker be able to do this do youthink? I see they have reductions so I may take a chance. thanks

They do 2 lengths in the Saress and if you`re short I should imagine the shorter length would be on the knee or below the knee. The long length doesn`t quite reach my ankles and there are adjustable straps on them too. Does their size guide on the Saress site give the length ? Or email them and ask if they can tell you the length and then you can judge if the sundown ( maxi ) style would be too long for you. You order your usual dress size when you look at their size guide ie a size 12 would be a medium.

Last edited:
I've often looked at the saress but never bought because of their size guide, as it says order medium if you're a ten to twelve and a large if you're a fourteen to sixteen, but I'm a twelve to fourteen so no idea which would be best.

Spartacus they fit quite loosely so I reckon a medium would be just fine, they overlap at the front and there`s plenty of room in them.

They do 2 lengths in the Saress and if you`re short I should imagine the shorter length would be on the knee or below the knee. The long length doesn`t quite reach my ankles and there are adjustable straps on them too. Does their size guide on the Saress site give the length ? Or email them and ask if they can tell you the length and then you can judge if the sundown ( maxi ) style would be too long for you. You order your usual dress size when you look at their size guide ie a size 12 would be a medium.

thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back