high prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree with so much that's been said already. Being at home all the time due to long term incapacity has meant I use QVC and Internet shopping because I cannot go out alone and even when hubby takes me I find it difficult to shop. Sad as it may seem to those who are lucky enough to have a "normal" life, the company of the presenters rambling on on the telly has stopped me going completely bananas. I have spent a small fortune with QVC for quite some time. Bought some really great things that I haven't seen elsewhere and returned an awful lot of junk. Had 2 of the naughty step letters!

I have now had therapy (joke) and realise there are lovely things available elsewhere, better quality, cheaper prices, free returns, fast service etc etc Recently, having tried a couple of Yk and Join items I found I really like the styling but the prices are ridiculous for jersey fabrics. I have picked up a handful of bits at half the price from Ebay and that was plenty to pay.

One good thing I have to thank Yk & Join for is that, although I have a chronic neck problem which prevents me from doing a lot, I have revived an old hobby of mine - sewing. I can easily make similar garments for £20 or so in top quality cotton or viscose jersey. Although I have do do it in tiny stages, as I can't sit for long, I am finding it very satisfying and uplifting to actually be productive for a change. I need a bit more therapy to break free from tuning in to the daily chit chat on Freeview 16 though!

Amelia sorry hear things are not great for you but it sounds like you are in a better place right now. Keep taking baby steps and you will get there. Wish I could sew!

Ideal World have upped their game fashion wise and many of their garments are exactly like Join ,YK except the prices are much more reasonable . The fabrics appear to be the same too.I haven't bought any fashion from IW for years but I have noticed the similarities. If people want to pay a higher price then that's up to them. I do think YK in particular is cashing in on the " designer" aspect.

I buy a lot of my clothes from Ideal World, if I buy ten tops and don't like them the delivery is capped at £7 and the returns are free. If I bought ten of the same top from IW (different sizes or colours) it'll be £4.99 because same item number, one p&p. If I wanted to order ten of the same top from QVC it would be (because you can only take advantage of the half price p&p for five of the same item) it would be £30 (2x£15) if I wanted to order different variations of the same top the p&p would be £49.50 (that's of course if the item is £4.95 p&p) now that's a whopping £43 difference in postage from IW, now that really a massive difference by anyone's standards, with the £43 going straight into QVCs profits, that's on just one order, but, people still pay it so on it goes.

It will be interesting to see how long Lakeland last on QVC unless they offer EZP options which some may go for.I ordered 2 items on the Lakeland website on Monday, free p&p as the total order was over £35, delivered this a.m (Wednesday) via Hermes.I know it has been said many times before but why do QVC not take note?

I love online shopping but its a long time since I spent any money with either QVC or Ideal World. Of course the presenters are there to push items and sucker us in, it`s their job but in my particular case their spiel has the opposite effect. I turn off when or if I know they`re spinning a yarn or glorifying something. I look at the presenters and see endless freebies of skincare aren`t working any miracles on any of them and watching them wear fashion tsv`s often makes me laugh aloud because it just shows what rubbish they`re trying to flog. In fact some days I actually feel sorry for them having to wear the tsv.
QVC are definitely signing their own death warrant IMO with their high prices, ridiculous p and p, slow returns and refunds, crap website and poor quality and poor choice of much of what they sell. The online World is a massive big oyster and there`s some good deals to be had, discount voucher codes to be found and lots and lots of free deliveries and returns.
Mind you and don`t hate me for saying this but some people are victims of their own stupidity. The recent Jay Manuel tsv being the latest. Who in their right minds would go to Debenhams beauty hall and buy a foundation which the sales girl insisted on applying with a light shining directly into your eyes whilst she insisted that half blinding you was the best way to try out a new foundation. The World and its wife were complaining about the lighting on the JM tsv and how everything looked so false and yet the damned thing sold out and those same people were buying it and consequently hating it. You couldn`t make it up !
As for QVC clothing, well I simply don`t know where they get their prices from. Mismatched patterns, strange sizings, poor quality fabrics, high prices and weird styles seem to be the norm for many of them and people pay through the nose just to try them on.
Strangely enough I thought about QVC whilst I was in town today. I mooched around Peacocks which is a place I rarely ever visit and there in front of me where several brightly coloured, brightly patterned items of clothing. Yes they were polyester but on each item the patterns were perfectly matched. Here`s one of them in the link below and even though its something I personally wouldn`t wear, it made me think that if Peacocks could do it for a mere £16, then why can`t QVC manage it on their far more expensive ranges ? The only conclusion I can draw is to make more money out of us. And there lies the answer to all and everything which loses them customers, it`s all about profit, money and selling less quality for more dosh. Yes all businesses need to make a profit and nobody would begrudge that but there`s profit and there`s rip off and that`s the direction in which QVC are quickly heading.
Anyway here`s the peacocks top, look at the front, the back, the sleeves etc and the next time QVC bring on one of their mismatched, lopsided patterned offerings for £40 or above, ask why they insist on doing it when clearly they don`t have to ?
http://www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-top-wrap-scarf-print-73c279.html

I love online shopping but its a long time since I spent any money with either QVC or Ideal World. Of course the presenters are there to push items and sucker us in, it`s their job but in my particular case their spiel has the opposite effect. I turn off when or if I know they`re spinning a yarn or glorifying something. I look at the presenters and see endless freebies of skincare aren`t working any miracles on any of them and watching them wear fashion tsv`s often makes me laugh aloud because it just shows what rubbish they`re trying to flog. In fact some days I actually feel sorry for them having to wear the tsv.
QVC are definitely signing their own death warrant IMO with their high prices, ridiculous p and p, slow returns and refunds, crap website and poor quality and poor choice of much of what they sell. The online World is a massive big oyster and there`s some good deals to be had, discount voucher codes to be found and lots and lots of free deliveries and returns.
Mind you and don`t hate me for saying this but some people are victims of their own stupidity. The recent Jay Manuel tsv being the latest. Who in their right minds would go to Debenhams beauty hall and buy a foundation which the sales girl insisted on applying with a light shining directly into your eyes whilst she insisted that half blinding you was the best way to try out a new foundation. The World and its wife were complaining about the lighting on the JM tsv and how everything looked so false and yet the damned thing sold out and those same people were buying it and consequently hating it. You couldn`t make it up !
As for QVC clothing, well I simply don`t know where they get their prices from. Mismatched patterns, strange sizings, poor quality fabrics, high prices and weird styles seem to be the norm for many of them and people pay through the nose just to try them on.
Strangely enough I thought about QVC whilst I was in town today. I mooched around Peacocks which is a place I rarely ever visit and there in front of me where several brightly coloured, brightly patterned items of clothing. Yes they were polyester but on each item the patterns were perfectly matched. Here`s one of them in the link below and even though its something I personally wouldn`t wear, it made me think that if Peacocks could do it for a mere £16, then why can`t QVC manage it on their far more expensive ranges ? The only conclusion I can draw is to make more money out of us. And there lies the answer to all and everything which loses them customers, it`s all about profit, money and selling less quality for more dosh. Yes all businesses need to make a profit and nobody would begrudge that but there`s profit and there`s rip off and that`s the direction in which QVC are quickly heading.
Anyway here`s the peacocks top, look at the front, the back, the sleeves etc and the next time QVC bring on one of their mismatched, lopsided patterned offerings for £40 or above, ask why they insist on doing it when clearly they don`t have to ?

Does this come with a stylish JF bulldog clip?:mysmilie_17:

i bought some diane gilman jeans they were at a oto price well under £20 plus £4 post (normal price £47) and i like the fit of dg. i washed them 3 times and they are losing thier colour round the stitching and going baggy. they are going back but i cant understand how they cant manufacture a decent pair of jeans.

Ideal World have upped their game fashion wise and many of their garments are exactly like Join ,YK except the prices are much more reasonable . The fabrics appear to be the same too.I haven't bought any fashion from IW for years but I have noticed the similarities. If people want to pay a higher price then that's up to them. I do think YK in particular is cashing in on the " designer" aspect.

Interestingly, IW actually took QVC on earlier this week. Q was showing ludicrous YK items at the same time as IW was showing their fashion. At the point where IW was showing that drape dress for £14.99, Sally Jacks specifically said 'I don't want you all to change channel, but if you look at other shopping channels right now you'll find something very similar to this for ten times the price'. And lo and behold, if you turned Q on you found at that second a very similar dress for £149. This is the first time I've seen a direct 'challenge' like this, and I suspect IW smell blood and know that Q's pushing their luck with the prices.

YK is a constant bugbear of mine. So much for so little. It's only a matter of time before we'll get the £200 'tunic' in jersey.

i bought some diane gilman jeans they were at a oto price well under £20 plus £4 post (normal price £47) and i like the fit of dg. i washed them 3 times and they are losing thier colour round the stitching and going baggy. they are going back but i cant understand how they cant manufacture a decent pair of jeans.

I suspect it has something to do with getting the amount of stretch into them, and also the fabric... which I believe is usually softer on the DG2 jeans... not straight cotton jeans or just cotton + lycra either... plus they are being made to a price point - and I don't mean the one retailed to us, but the one QVC probably instruct the supplier they will pay.

Amelia, sorry to hear about your health problems, and sincerely hope better times are ahead for you. I so agree with what you have said about sewing - I can make myself a top in a similar style to any Yong Kim item for considerably less than £20, and that's with using very good quality material that washes and wears well (and I prefer natural fabrics rather than polyester). I am no expert dressmaker by any means, but the styles are so simple that even I can make them! I would just not pay the prices Q ask, mainly because I don't like to be fleeced, either for the item or for the p&p they charge. To anyone who can sew a bit and has a machine, I'd say have a go.

I agree with so much that's been said already. Being at home all the time due to long term incapacity has meant I use QVC and Internet shopping because I cannot go out alone and even when hubby takes me I find it difficult to shop. Sad as it may seem to those who are lucky enough to have a "normal" life, the company of the presenters rambling on on the telly has stopped me going completely bananas. I have spent a small fortune with QVC for quite some time. Bought some really great things that I haven't seen elsewhere and returned an awful lot of junk. Had 2 of the naughty step letters!

I have now had therapy (joke) and realise there are lovely things available elsewhere, better quality, cheaper prices, free returns, fast service etc etc Recently, having tried a couple of Yk and Join items I found I really like the styling but the prices are ridiculous for jersey fabrics. I have picked up a handful of bits at half the price from Ebay and that was plenty to pay.

One good thing I have to thank Yk & Join for is that, although I have a chronic neck problem which prevents me from doing a lot, I have revived an old hobby of mine - sewing. I can easily make similar garments for £20 or so in top quality cotton or viscose jersey. Although I have do do it in tiny stages, as I can't sit for long, I am finding it very satisfying and uplifting to actually be productive for a change. I need a bit more therapy to break free from tuning in to the daily chit chat on Freeview 16 though!

Last edited:
Had to laugh this afternoon when I watched a bit of Craig doing the Susan Graver hour. He said his sister is always complaining that her leisure trousers sag and droop after a couple of washes. The Susan Graver woman chimed in that it "wouldn't happen" with theirs, and that with some other brands you can find the leisure trousers round your legs after a few washes! Er, it then begs the question why Craig's sister doesn't buy her leisure pants from Q, if they are so good (answers on a postcard).

QUOTE=Vienna;868735]I love online shopping but its a long time since I spent any money with either QVC or Ideal World. Of course the presenters are there to push items and sucker us in, it`s their job but in my particular case their spiel has the opposite effect. I turn off when or if I know they`re spinning a yarn or glorifying something. I look at the presenters and see endless freebies of skincare aren`t working any miracles on any of them and watching them wear fashion tsv`s often makes me laugh aloud because it just shows what rubbish they`re trying to flog. In fact some days I actually feel sorry for them having to wear the tsv.
http://www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-top-wrap-scarf-print-73c279.html[/QUOTE]

Had to laugh this afternoon when I watched a bit of Craig doing the Susan Graver hour. He said his sister is always complaining that her leisure trousers sag and droop after a couple of washes. The Susan Graver woman chimed in that it "wouldn't happen" with theirs, and that with some other brands you can find the leisure trousers round your legs after a few washes! Er, it then begs the question why Craig's sister doesn't buy her leisure pants from Q, if they are so good (answers on a postcard).

QUOTE=Vienna;868735]I love online shopping but its a long time since I spent any money with either QVC or Ideal World. Of course the presenters are there to push items and sucker us in, it`s their job but in my particular case their spiel has the opposite effect. I turn off when or if I know they`re spinning a yarn or glorifying something. I look at the presenters and see endless freebies of skincare aren`t working any miracles on any of them and watching them wear fashion tsv`s often makes me laugh aloud because it just shows what rubbish they`re trying to flog. In fact some days I actually feel sorry for them having to wear the tsv.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe we need a referendum on Quexit :mysmilie_12: and decide if we all want to leave.. After all we could enter into free trade agreement with many others, all who have better terms than the Q..

Have a huge amount of respect for the members that have shared their stories in this thread about times when Q was a source of comfort to them. I hope you will all enjoy improved health in the future. X

Well I just wanted to say I am really not interested in Yong Kim and Join clothes, and love to know who really want choose Yong Kim and Join clothes designs to laugh. Mysmilie 15

I ordered some skincare from IW last night. At the last minute, I was prompted to use a special code ("101010") during the checkout process and they knocked another 10% off the total price! When have QVC ever done anything like that? IW get my custom now because they have decent products at realistic prices, and with the free returns I know I'm not risking so much if it doesn't work for me.

When I hear of some of these items (from any range) being 'SOLD OUT' I wonder if QVC have cut back on their stock levels.More & more is on advance orders so they don't have to hold stock.I can't really see many of these items having a wide appeal & that is taking my personal taste out of equation.

I ordered some skincare from IW last night. At the last minute, I was prompted to use a special code ("101010") during the checkout process and they knocked another 10% off the total price! When have QVC ever done anything like that? IW get my custom now because they have decent products at realistic prices, and with the free returns I know I'm not risking so much if it doesn't work for me.

I agree Moth, I ordered three of these yesterday. http://www.idealworld.tv/pp/fabulif...b/categories@lt;{8006}/brand_iw@gt;{fabulift} It was their beauty day, so I got my daughter in laws one each as a stocking filler, and one as a spare for me, I've already got one, not bad £16 for three eh, let no one ever say that I don't splash out. :mysmilie_17:

I watched IW for the first time in years whilst I was doing a post holiday marathon iron-in . Most of the clothes looked as good as Susan/Rene/Ronnie/Nina but ye Gods what a price difference!

I could see how the capped postage would generate loads of extra sales especially of the lower priced items as the saving on Q postage charges would cover most of the extra items.

I would take a chance on items in Q clearance but proportionally the postage outweighs the small saving.

Well I just took the plung and ordered a top from IW and used the discount code and got a further 10% off - albeit that the base cost was very low .

This will be interesting!

[/QUOTE]

Was this the sister who couldn't afford a holiday, or was being made homeless when he first joined Q ? I'm surprised he couldn't get her a freebie, as he gets so many ! If they are going to include their family in their spiel, they should remember that some of us have good memories !!

Latest posts

Back