Hermes Courier Returns Question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
Hi All, and sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to return some CH bedding via a Hermes pick up and it says on the Hermes site that they only compensate up to £50.

Do I need to tick that box? The bedding was £60. I'm already waiting for one return that seems to have gone missing via RM. Seems I'm not very lucky with returns.

Any other hints or tips?

TIA

I would say no, as long as the pick up and delivery are tracked (I think they are with Hermes) then QVC should refund you the full amount in the event that the bedding goes missing if you are able to submit proof of postage or a tracking reference. It'd be different if you were say sending the parcel to someone as a gift; then it'd be worth taking the extra cover. There'll be other folk with more experience of Hermes returns along with more info soon no doubt.

If I'm returning a single item via Royal Mail I'd pay the extra quid for Signed For. It's not tracking per se but in the event QVC mislay the return (more likely than Royal Mail losing it in my experience) you can quote the ref number and the RM site which will show if it's been received by QVC. The straight forward "proof of posting receipt" from the Post Office works, but takes longer to resolve because you'd have to send in the receipt. Any more than 4 parcels to QVC and I'd recommend ParcelForce Consignment - it's guaranteed 48 hour delivery and tracking is on a par with RM Special Delivery; but far cheaper.

Edit: in the event that Q ask you to send them any paper receipts or proof of posting offer to email them a photo of it to save time; you may have to insist that they accept this over waiting until you can post it to them. It depends on the CS person you speak to.

Thanks (again), Akimbo.

And thanks for the info about the consignment service, too. I rarely send anything back (QVC or anyone else), so am not that familiar with things these days. That's handy to know, though.

for the life of me why dont qvc put a free returns lable with each order. they are so slow:mysmilie_51:

I've not had much success with Hermes returns to Q. Both times I did it the items went missing. QVC were great though, as they just sent a declaration letter to me which I had to sign to say I had returned the goods & then rang to me to ask if I wanted a refund or replacement. They didn't ask for proof of sending the items back. I guess because its all done electronically through Hermes. A good thing as you don't really get any proof from Hermes to confirm you've arranged the collection. I will do a screen shot of the returns order confirmation page in the future. Annoying thing is that the refund takes so long to complete. I prefer to use Royal Mail, much quicker.

If they can tell that Hermes have collected it, having to sign and send back a declaration, at your own expense, 63P for a stamp (yes, that's 12/6d in old money lol) is totally unnecessary and ridiculous.

more than 4 parcels to QVC and I'd recommend ParcelForce Consignment - it's guaranteed 48 hour delivery and tracking is on a par with RM Special Delivery; but far cheaper.

Ooh - quick question... I can't find how to do that multiple consignment thing on the ParcelForce website.

How does it work?

Do you take a big bag of individual parcels to the post office and then stick them in a box? I just want to make sure I have proof for each item if they are shipped in bulk as I don't trust Q's warehouse to account for all of them if they get them in one box IYSWIM.

Can I ask something else as well?

The Hermes guy turned up earlier and picked up my parcel. OH stood there waiting for a slip or something to prove he'd just handed the parcel over, but was told they don't give anything! What?! What if the parcel goes missing? I know the guy scanned it, but what if his handset was dodgy??

I've gone online and can see it's been picked up, but surely this can't be a sensible way of doing things?

Ooh - quick question... I can't find how to do that multiple consignment thing on the ParcelForce website.

How does it work?

Do you take a big bag of individual parcels to the post office and then stick them in a box? I just want to make sure I have proof for each item if they are shipped in bulk as I don't trust Q's warehouse to account for all of them if they get them in one box IYSWIM.

I go to the Post Office Tiddly, I couldn't find anything about it online either last time I looked. So, as long as all the parcels are going to the same address (QVC check!) parcel them all separately just as you would posting them by Royal Mail. This meets QVC's requirements to send each return in it's own package so that their "robot" (or spotty YTS yoof) can scan each label barcode as it's received.

I take the to the PO and ask for a ParcelForce Consignment (if they look blank get them to phone the lovely sub-postmaster Richard on 01903 242778, he's a wizz!). The process goes something like this: Each package gets a PF sticker with unique barcode which the PO staff scan and all are linked to the same transaction receipt (you get a proof of posting with all the individual barcodes listed and the overall tracking number.

The tracking is on a par with RM Special delivery - fully trackable at all stages. I go for the guaranteed 48 hour delivery with £100 cover. The price is worked out by adding the weight of all the packages together (I dump my carrier bag on the scales but some counter staff prefer to weight and add each one).

Once they have the total weight they quote the price; usually 4 or more parcels are cheaper sent this way than sending separately by 2nd Class Signed For (the old Recorded Delivery). I have no idea what the weight increments are but I've sent maybe a dozen parcels for £12...the more you return the more you save (in both ways - once you get your refund :mysmilie_59:).

Parcelforce collect the "consignment" from th PO, all sealed in their own PF sack with the destination details (which is why they all have to have the same address). At my little local PO the PF van picks up around 3pm so if you miss him the 48 hours starts when PF collect the sack from the PO the following working day.

I only go for the lowest (I think) cover of £100; even if I'm returning 3 Lulu Guinness bags, 2 pairs of shoes and a diamonique ring because if QVC have recieved and refunded one or more of the consignment, but mislay say one of the LG bags they cannot argue that it was never received because you have tracking. I've never had an item go astray sending it this way and the refunds start to come through quickly (but for some reason they're always staggered over a couple of weeks, no idea why. If QVC does mislay the item they would generally accept the proof of posting receipt and make the refund (after the declaration faffing they insist on!)

I don't use this often, but being a shopping bulimic if I order say a garment, then I'll order a couple of sizes and save up any other returns (within the 30 day period) so I can use this method. Hope this makes sense?

Can I ask something else as well?

The Hermes guy turned up earlier and picked up my parcel. OH stood there waiting for a slip or something to prove he'd just handed the parcel over, but was told they don't give anything! What?! What if the parcel goes missing? I know the guy scanned it, but what if his handset was dodgy??

I've gone online and can see it's been picked up, but surely this can't be a sensible way of doing things?

When I had Hermes pick up my parcel some months ago I got a slip for my parcel and I think he scanned it as well.
It really is no good to just take the parcel and say everything is going to be okay.

When DPD pick up a parcel they scan it, and Amazon immediately send email to say item has been picked up, and quite often process refund as well even before goods have reached the warehouse! They always give you a delivery/collection time and are always punctual. rest my case.

Latest posts

Back