Have you been seduced by mineral makeup?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Suey

Registered Shopper
I know that every 'presenter' on QVC has a job to do - ie. sell us products.

I was really quite surprised yesterday, though, when Ali Young was promoting Bobbi Brown foundation by saying something along the lines of 'have you been seduced by mineral or all-in-one foundation?, when you then go back to a liquid foundation you realise how good it is...' this isn't word-for-word, but you can get the gist of what she was saying....it almost wouldn't have been so contradicting if they hadn't been flogging Bare Escentuals earlier in the same day !!!!!

BTW - I was seduced by the Bobbi Brown liquid foundation (earlier in the day, before she said all that !!!!). Hope it lives up to it's price.

As she was selling liquid foundation she is hardly likely to say that it is good but not as good as mineral
foundation. She has to say something. It may have been better to have another presenter selling the Bobbi Brown.

Yes I get your point, but she could have just talked about the benefits of liquid foundation without giving a direct comparison to the other makeup she is always trying to sell us - BE, and Laura Geller. It was the 'have you been seduced by ....' that I felt was a bit much - because it's her that does the seducing of such products !!!!

No I have never been seduced by mineral makeup. I did once try the Philosophy one and it was nice but couldn't be bothered.

Bobbi Brown foundations are excellent, used them years ago might have been last century. Then moved on to Prescriptives. Bobbi Brown is a high quality brand and all their products appart from the awful lip gloss brush are super.

No I have never been seduced by mineral makeup. I did once try the Philosophy one and it was nice but couldn't be bothered.

Bobbi Brown foundations are excellent, used them years ago might have been last century. Then moved on to Prescriptives. Bobbi Brown is a high quality brand and all their products appart from the awful lip gloss brush are super.

Have to agree Donna255. Was using BE/Laura Geller/Philosophy powder foundations for quite a while. Recently bought Bobbi Brown liquid foundation (a lucky moment of madness) and truly is a lot better than the above. Barely detectable, fairly good coverage (admittedly not as good as BE), but my skin does looks a lot less "made up". BB is very good quality make up and pigments are just right and balanced.

AY has always contradicted herself, ever since I can remember. As it has been said on here, depends what she is flogging at any given show is THE best (until the next show). Not so much a beauty expert as a sales expert!:smirk:

i tried bare escentuals and it was too messy for my liking.As a new convert to laura geller - TBH,her baked stuff is more messy than i anticipated.

I just put on another thread how good quality i think high street make up is now,i'm not really convinced by any of the foundations on QVC

I fell for the whole Bare Escentuals thing when I first joined QVC. "The original & best mineral make up"( according to them).
The first thing I found was that "the lightest available shade" of foundation( Fairly Light ) made me look jaundiced and later found that there is a paler shade, just not sold on QVC (then).
The next problem was the itchiness which I put down to the brush at first, but using other brushes did not improve it and I gave up with this brand. Thanks to the ladies on here I discovered that the ingredient bismouth caused the itching and that I was by no means alone in suffering this reaction.
I have also tried Lily Lolo which I quite liked and was much cheaper than BE, Jane Iredale, good but pricey and at the moment I'm using the Philosophy one which is a lot less messy than the others.
I really don't like wearing make-up but have dodgy skin that needs some coverage and find that minerals really fit the bill for me. However I could be tempted by the Bobbi Brown foundation now that I have read your favourable comments. I value the reviews of fellow forumites way above the opinions of the QVC 'salespeople'.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm a bit of a sucker for a new make up and have tried loads since I started wearing it at 15/16 (acne).

I like BE, I think for me its the best mineral foundation, but the high street ones do a decent job as well.

Laura Geller is so messy and I find it takes ages to build up but once on its ok.

I go through phases of liquid (estee lauder double wear my fave liquid one)/mineral/mousses etc etc.

Rimmel matte mousse foundation is what I'm using at the mo, pretty cheap and actually decent staying power. I think it depends on my mood, skin condition, weather, time etc etc. Like most women I have too much makeup which gets used once and forgotten about! lol :giggle:

However I could be tempted by the Bobbi Brown foundation now that I have read your favourable comments. I value the reviews of fellow forumites way above the opinions of the QVC 'salespeople'.

If it helps Alibeth I went for this one:http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product...Long-Lasting-Foundation-SPF-15/New/index.tmpl and I'm very happy with it as it suits my combination skin well. But I have small areas of light pigmentation which it does not cover completely, so the assistant recommended a touch up stick: http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product...s/Face-Touch-Up-Stick/Award-Winner/index.tmpl in the same shade and told me to apply it only on top where more coverage is needed. It works brilliantly for me. Fairly long lasting during the day and I only need one pump at most for the whole face(I recon the little bottle will last me for at least 3 months).

I think if possible, BB foundation is best matched for proper shade in store. It may help you avoid costly p&p charges, as in the past I've watched BB show on QVC, ordered and had to return the foundation due to choosing the wrong shade. It looked really awful. Once the assistant helped me get my perfect match in store, now it looks 100 times better.

I quite like BE mineral foundation and both my sisters love it. I think it is quite expensive, you can lose quite a bit falling out etc. It is messy. I do like their eyeliners however.
You can get set mineral powder in a set compact which is brilliant. It is called Glowminerals. It is much less messy and so, more economical. Gives good coverage too.

I am using a L'Oreal whipped mousse foundation for under a tenner. My friend said she preferred it to the mineral stuff. It has been superb. So easy to use and gives a lovely radiant look, covers pigmentation and anything else and is quick. Sometimes I think we get suckered into these expensive brands and they are really not necessary.

I have a friend who is a make up artist and she is devoted to Laura Mercier, she says it is the most deeply pigmented so you don't need much of it and it is never, ever discounted even for professionals. That has to mean something I suppose.

I went from using no foundation to mineral a few years ago adn for the last (almost a year) have been using the green people one which I absolutely love.

I've been seduced by it I must say. Never really got on with the BE Foundation (it made me look jaundiced and the brush broke my skin out) but I've used Lily Lolo and Elemental Beauty mineral make up with lovely results and good coverage.

For me, it's simply a matter of really not liking liquid foundation - I've tried loads over the years and always felt too cakey in them and as though I was wearing a mask. With the minerals (or Balance and Brighten) I get coverage but I can still feel my skin underneath it if that makes sense?

I'm dubious about mineral make up as being better for your skin, particularly the brands that contain Bismouth, but in general - as with everything, one man's meat is another man's poison!

I like the finish of the BE foundation but can't be bothered with all that buffing. I don't have the time in the mornings and end up with an achy hand!

I'm using Bobbi Brown oil free compact foundation at the moment. It is the best colour match I've ever had, I put it on my skin and it 'literally' matches exactly. It gives a really natural but radiant finish, lasts all day as is quick and easy to apply. To cover a couple of pigmentation marks I have I dab on a bit extra and you can't see them at all. I will definately buy again and would think her other foundations would be worth a try.

I've been seduced by BE and I love it. I had spent years trying to find a liquid foundation that matched my skin tone and didn't look like a mask.
I took the plunge during a BE show a few years ago and was pleasantly suprised. I love the finish it gives. Granted it's harder to get the coverage that a liquid foundation gives but the finish is much more natural. Downside I find it a bloomin faff .

Oh Bella Pierre, remember them on QVC?

Now in House of Fraser, the stuff looks awful. The staff are a nightmare to say the least. They actually stalk you round the store and keep stopping and asking have you tried Bella Pierre. A no and no thank you does no good still they stalk after you. I actually have to complain about them to the manager of HoF in Belfast as it was damn annoying and ****** creepy.
You could not stop at another counter or stand without them trying to drag you away. One sa told me she was bending down to get a product out of a drawer for a customer. Stood up and two sa's from BP where about to drag her off saying this lady is coming for a make over. This was in the middle of actually serving the customer. The manager told me she had spoken to the BP people a few times because of complaints both from customers and staff.

Oh I totally forgot. Not the foundation but I do have some eyeshadows, blushes and the Pele Saude from Christopher Drummond the brand sold at justbeautydirect. They are fabulous.

I was! I bought some sample pots from Lily Loly, but it made me look like an actual literal ghost, so its put me off somewhat. On the bright side because of this my money is safe from the BE on QVC. Think I'll stick with the tinted moisturiser and liquid foundation.

BE foundation fan

I use BE foundation and the mineral veil. I could not be without them.
I have tried other mineral foundations but apart from Lili Lolo which I
thought was good they are not fine enough in texture and look heavy
and cakey. L'oreal offering is awful but then again my 40 yr old
mate gets on with it well and looks fab. She has five minutes max.
to apply her war paint in the mornings and I have watched her
successfully applying it away from any mirror. With two young very lively
lads I always marvel at how she does it all.
I did react to the BE minerals early on but with a decent
primer as a barrier I dont have a problems now. I did find the BE
gave more of a glow than the Lili Lolo which was really flat looking
and very matt.

I really like BE, it isnt quite as quick and easy as it would appear, you really need to put a bit of time into the buffing for the best finish. For nights out I use it over a (MAC) liquid foundation.

The point being made really is Alison Young contradicting herself depending on what show she is presenting, she says what she thinks we (or the guest presenter) want to hear. She really should not compare products when she sells both, it is unprofessional to say the least. She could script it like 'if you dont get on with mineral makeup you might like this' or words to that effect.

My absolute favourite foundation is the Philosophy Supernatural, the loose powder stuff with the sponge attatched. It's the best I've ever tried.:talking:

Latest posts

Back