Have QVC lost the plot?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bettyboo

Registered Shopper
Are the products getting more and more expensive or is it me? The other day we had that hideous 'Yomkipur' fashion some of which cost a fortune then we had those very expensive handbags from Miss G. and yesterday there was the Judith Ripka Silver Diamoneek at totally ridiculous prices IMO. I think they have priced me out of the market of late.

Me too. I have to be very selective in what I buy now. Whereas once upon a time I would have ordered on a whim. I used to buy quite a lot of jewellery from them. I don't even watch the very few jewellery shows now because the prices are way too high. Even the beauty TSV's are around the £50 mark now.

Are the products getting more and more expensive or is it me? The other day we had that hideous 'Yomkipur' fashion some of which cost a fortune then we had those very expensive handbags from Miss G. and yesterday there was the Judith Ripka Silver Diamoneek at totally ridiculous prices IMO. I think they have priced me out of the market of late.

I assume you mean Yong Kim Fashion??

The problem is, people are complaining about the lack of fashion and choice. so when something shall we say designer comes on, its I wouldn't pay that etc.

All the brands mentioned are classed as designer. Someone on the Facebook page last week was complaining about the lack of British designers. But, are they willing to pay the prices they will be charged? I doubt it.

The problem is, people are complaining about the lack of fashion and choice. so when something shall we say designer comes on, its I wouldn't pay that etc.

All the brands mentioned are classed as designer. Someone on the Facebook page last week was complaining about the lack of British designers. But, are they willing to pay the prices they will be charged? I doubt it.
It may well be designer bu t I would not be seen in that creased up rubbish by Y.K. in fact the clothing on QVC is mostly American and mostly tat in my opinion.

I'm priced out of the market too and don't watch anymore because I can't afford anything. The fashion is rubbish; old fahioned dress after dress after dress. I'm sure most of us don't want stupidly expensive "designer" (pah!) clothing, just regular, affordable, stylish stuff that you can find on the high street, and that you can wear every day. I couldn't wear most of what QVC are selling when I go to ASDA!

They've priced me out too.

I would be interested to know what their sales & profit figures are.
I don't know, but it would not surprise me if their sales are actually down, but their profit is up.

Or could it be that they've tapped into a whole new customer base? In the retail market the designer outlet villages and stores are all doing really well. Designer goods with a slight discount appeals to those who haven't bought these brands before and to those who buy designer gear but are feeling the pinch.

I was gobsmacked by the Judith Ripka (Judith Ripoff?) prices. Had £100 to spare for a piece of jewellery I would not waste it on fake diamonds, I would go locally to some the independent shops where I live. And as for the "fashion", well the high street and other on line retailers have far far better choice in natural fabrics. I can't afford much from Q these days but I'm sure this isn't denting their profits.

I was gobsmacked by the Judith Ripka (Judith Ripoff?) prices. Had £100 to spare for a piece of jewellery I would not waste it on fake diamonds, I would go locally to some the independent shops where I live. And as for the "fashion", well the high street and other on line retailers have far far better choice in natural fabrics. I can't afford much from Q these days but I'm sure this isn't denting their profits.
I thought the same.

Me too, in fact I did a double take when I saw almost £200 for diamoneek necklace.

Also in the diamond show the other week, they were offering 9 ct gold diamond rings for over £1000. No one in their right mind would pay that much for 9 ct gold, I dont care how good the stones were, it would have to be 18ct at least.

I had my engagement ring valued recently. It's a quarter carat brilliant diamond (very good cut and clarity) set in a decent amount of 18ct gold. Valued at about £1,200. It cost £500 17 years ago. No ways would I pay £1,000 for 9ct gold. QVC have lost sight of their market. Honora and 'Eek are very expensive now.

I reckon the Judith Ripka pieces will be in Last Clicks/Clearance in 3-6 months time. Can't see anyone of sound mind buying any of it at current prices.

Sent from my new Apple iPad 32GB WiFi White using Tapatalk

I would be interested to know what their sales & profit figures are.
I don't know, but it would not surprise me if their sales are actually down, but their profit is up.

Apologies for quoting my own post, but I wanted to come back to this

qvc uk ltd. Key Developments
QVC UK Ltd. Announces Earnings Results for the First Quarter Ended March 31, 2012
May 8 12

QVC UK Ltd. announced earnings results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012. For the quarter, the company reported revenue was $140 million against $138 million a year ago. Adjusted OIBDA was $20 million against $21 million a year ago.
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=9206733

No, I didn't know what OIBDA was either:
OIBDA is an acronym meaning operating income before depreciation and amortization.
http://glossary.reuters.com/index.php/OIBDA

Reports Earnings Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year of 2011
Feb 23 12
...... Revenue decreased 1% and increased 1% in local currency in the fourth quarter and the full year, respectively.
The decrease in the fourth quarter was primarily due to sales declines in electronics and jewelry categories, partially offset by an increase in beauty products.

Agree - prices are ridiculous and most stuff not only unaffordable, but clearly not worth it if you can afford it.

It would be interesting to know how many customers are new/short term, and if that is creating profit while repeat customers are actually buying less.

Recently I googled a product I'd bought elsewhere, and it came up with results from the US QVC community page - most seemed to say they don't buy there anymore due to prices, p and p, some even said it is a 'braindead company' now. I agree that people don't necessarily go to QVC for overpriced so called designer stuff. I've never seen another company other than them that is so often spoken of online in terms of...'you can get this cheaper at....see it on QVC, but buy from xyz'.

Agree about the beauty tsvs too, you can almost guarantee a £39-50 price, usually full of fillers and one product you might want if you're lucky.

I only buy from them if I know I won't get a better deal elsewhere, mostly that means the odd range I like that only they sell, or rare occasions when you really want the mbg. But they could surely offer better value so that customers would buy except from in those limited circs.

In the old days (been watching almost from day 1) I had some amazing jewellery bargains from QVC. Really substantial gold chains for around 45 quid, heavy silver pieces and excellent value gold rings.
Also, they would ALWAYS show the carat weight of their gold chains etc so at least you knew if it was value for money (they used to roughly go on a £10 per gram basis) they wouldn't dare now!!:happy:

Nearly all the diamoneek they sold was set in 14ct gold back then and was often quite reasonably priced. It seems now its all silver or gold plated silver and the prices are still two or three times what they would have been. I.e. decrease in standard, increase in price. I certainly don't buy jewellery any more.

Wonder why the profit figures for QVC UK are in dollars?

Trouble is the price of gold and even silver has gone through the roof, what we used to pay for 14ct diamonique is now the price for silver pieces. I have a quite heavy white with the bezel in yellow 14ct diamonique ring, now it was bought in clearance before the website. Who remembers the specials appearing at tea time Wednesday and Friday on their version of teletext? You had to be very very very quick and phone your order in. No photo just a description. Anyway I bought this ring small stone but loads of gold and think it was just over £20 in clearance. Going by what they now charge it would be £200!!!!! You very very rarely see diamonique in gold now at all.

You never see leather jackets or coats now. I know IW does the Woodland Leathers and they seem to sell really well, but are always on easy pay. QVC had their own range of leather Leather Elements, I have a coat bought as a TSV long ago.

Latest posts

Back