Grey (tick)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It wouldn’t be so bad if after dusting it stayed dusted for more than a nanosecond.
Goodness, yes! It is a nightmare. I am trying to convince myself I don't need to vacuum daily to keep dust down...but if I don't do that, I will definitely need to dust daily!
Once things get back to normal, I intend to get a cleaner. I had one, but several factors to do with pregnancy (hers) and medical treatment (mine) put an end to it.

BOFFY would love to know what colour your jewelled colour velvet sofa is. I love them.

Thats another reason I don't like blinds/shutters, too much dust gathering and something else to clean. The window sill is enough for me to deal with. I have vivid memories of the plastic venetian blinds at work decades ago, and omg talk about dust traps on each of the slats. I also remember when Austrian blinds - (tarts knickers) were all the rage in homes, along with avocado bathroom suites - all the height of 'fashion' like shutters and wooden floors are today. Wonder what it will be in 10 years time.

I once told my mother that we should all subscribe to Quinten Crisp idea There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse, but I’m afraid she did see either the practical or the funny side of it

It is a thankless and never ending chore. Even if we were completely inert, the dust and dirt still accumulates.
At least now we aren't obliged by neighbourly pressure to scrub the front steps, or paint it if it's a particular colour.
If we do it, it does give us a momentary satisfaction...until we remember we've got to do it all over again in a matter of days or hours!

Certainly is ! I watch all the hoarder/filthy house programmes and I've come to the conclusion, unless you're a serious hoarder ( as in you're climbing over mountains of boxes and junk to move from room to room, or have entire rooms that are floor to ceiling with stuff) if you make sure you take your rubbish out, clean the lav, use the dishwasher or wash up regularly, and have the odd dust and hoover every now and then it'll never get that bad. I tend to blitz when I know people are coming round (obvs rare at the moment) but it keeps me on top of the game. I struggle keeping mirrors, windows and panes of glass in the doors looking nice, I'm always left with streaky marks..but I guess it looks like I've at least tried to clean the blessed things!
When it comes to household chores..remember, a half hearted swipe is better than nothing!

Last edited:
Certainly is ! I watch all the hoarder/filthy house programmes and I've come to the conclusion, unless you're a serious hoarder ( as in you're climbing over mountains of boxes and junk to move from room to room, or have entire rooms that are floor to ceiling with stuff) if you make sure you take your rubbish out, clean the lav, use the dishwasher or wash up regularly, and have the odd dust and hoover every now and then it'll never get that bad. I tend to blitz when I know people are coming round (obvs rare at the moment) but it keeps me on top of the game. I struggle keeping mirrors, windows and panes of glass in the doors looking nice, I'm always left with streaky marks..but I guess it looks like I've at least tried to clean the blessed things!
When it comes to household chores..remember, a half hearted swipe is better than nothing!
Goodness, I had to double check I hadn’t posted this.

I used to have a casual job cleaning in a Royal residence where huge antique silk rugs, which are the size of a carpet in a normal size house were swept by housemaids on their knees with a dustpan and brush, and a colleague was disciplined because when she scrubbed some concrete steps (on her knees with a scrubbing brush) she missed a tiny bit of algae at the bottom of the boot scraper!

A very clinical looking home is not for me. I have ornaments of sentimental value everywhere and pictures on all walls. I have net curtains as my road is a bus route and signs in every room I have a toddler granddaughter. My couches and curtains downstairs are orange, my fav colour for furnishings and my house is cosy, if I say so myself!

So you’re allowed in again? I think you said it was difficult at the height of the Covid-19 restrictions....
We have two daughters, I care for the younger one's daughter, they live nearby & I started looking after her again when the schools returned for the last half term of the year. I haven't seen our older daughter's family since 1st March & don't know when I'll meet their baby. My Mr T was allowed into their garden when he took down birthday & baby gifts in the summer, needless to say the Christmas ones have been posted.

We have two daughters, I care for the younger one's daughter, they live nearby & I started looking after her again when the schools returned for the last half term of the year. I haven't seen our older daughter's family since 1st March & don't know when I'll meet their baby. My Mr T was allowed into their garden when he took down birthday & baby gifts in the summer, needless to say the Christmas ones have been posted.
So glad you are back helping your daughter with childcare. I relied so much on my mum and dad to help me and my children do love them and vice versus 😊

For years I couldn't understand why the work surfaces and shelves in my bathroom got so dusty. Then the mystery was solved. On a day when it was really sunny, I tore off some toilet paper and omg the burst of lint that was in the air was unbelievable. Multiply that several times a day and it isn't surprising I was knee deep in dust. So just watch it next time you're in a sunny bathroom, its staggering.

For years I couldn't understand why the work surfaces and shelves in my bathroom got so dusty. Then the mystery was solved. On a day when it was really sunny, I tore off some toilet paper and omg the burst of lint that was in the air was unbelievable. Multiply that several times a day and it isn't surprising I was knee deep in dust. So just watch it next time you're in a sunny bathroom, its staggering.
Yes, I notice this too.

So glad you are back helping your daughter with childcare. I relied so much on my mum and dad to help me and my children do love them and vice versus 😊
I totally agree, my parents were wonderful too & it sums up family as far as I'm concerned. We've had a difficult week, starting with the anniversary date when my brother in law died. On Wednesday my daughter got up for work, fainted & wouldn't come round so my SiL called for an ambulance, she stayed at home so at least there were two of us finding towels & buckets when the plumber had an issue with a valve - have a new bathroom & a new sitting room ceiling. Yesterday my Mr T went to the opticians, after I said that flashes followed by blurred vision was concerning, & he was referred to the Eye Centre with surgery for a torn retina happening today, both eyes are affected but I can't imagine he'll have both done together. Finally, I've just found a leak from our bathroom radiator. My daughter & my sister have been amazing & watching Moana on loop yesterday with a 2 year old who is almost word perfect on 'You're Welcome' was a great distraction.

80% of dust is dead skin cells... I enjoy housework & because we've always had animals I vac & dust daily & on the two days I'm granddaughter sitting I do things for them, including their ironing, as well. I sing or hum when I'm cleaning & my Mr T has always called in 'doing a Hilda'.

I used to sing to my mum in the care home, too, and it didn't matter if I was out of tune, they were songs she knew and loved. Unlike her - her house was SPOTLESS - I hate housework. It gets done but I loathe doing it. Give me something really filthy and I'll spend hours getting it nice and shiny, but the boring day to day stuff - not my thing.

Latest posts

Back