Good top coat for nails?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Anso

Registered Shopper
I'm an OPI girl, I have more colours than I dare counting and totally love them LOL! I totally love their Rapid Dry top coat too but I'm getting to the point of being a little upset with the top coat now as it goes thick and you have to throw it when you have used about half of the bottle.

As I said, I really love the top coat but I'm tired of having to throw away half used bottles and buy new ones when it goes thick. :(

Can anyone recommend a good, quick drying, glossy topcoat that you don't have to throw away half-full... to use with my OPI colours please?

Thanks in advance!

I always find the quick-drying ones go thick really quickly, so have been using OPI's Start to Finish when have the time. If I'm really in a hurry I use either the Seche Vite or Nails Inc's Caviar topcoat. And I usually keep them in the fridge until right before I need them, just to keep them from going thicker still!

I usually use the Leighton Denny top coat which dries very quickly but took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and bought the Nails Inc Caviar top coat that everyone was raving about.

All I can say is that I won't be going back to LD now. This dries so quickly its amazing.
I wouldn't use anything else.

And I usually keep them in the fridge until right before I need them, just to keep them from going thicker still!

Isn't it best to keep all nail varnishes in the fridge? I have a couple that are years old (just cheapies) and they are still useable. Only problem is, I now need a bigger fridge as there's no room for food!!

Isn't it best to keep all nail varnishes in the fridge? I have a couple that are years old (just cheapies) and they are still useable. Only problem is, I now need a bigger fridge as there's no room for food!!

I keep all mine in the fridge. Hubby thinks I'm nuts ! I reckon there's around 20 in it right now.

Another vote for Nails Inc Caviar Topcoat. It dries very quickly and gives a glassy finish to your manicure. I used to use OPI Drip Dry Drops but now much prefer the Nails Inc product and use it with all makes of nail polish.

I love the Seche Vite one - it dries all the layers of varnish in a couple of minutes.

Tried the opi one and found the same that after a couple of uses it goes thick and unusable. Probably the worst top coat I have used.

The Jessica ones are very good and the Jessica Brilliance gives the most amazing shine ever but they take forever to dry.

i like and use the caviar top coat but i am a sucker for the LD crystal finish one. xxx

If you still want OPI - then you could try their Designer Topcoat Anso - you can gte it from some reputable people on Ebay - I have been using it for a couple of years now and find it is a lot better than the Rapiddry topcoat in that it doesn't go gloopy and the shine stays for days. The caviar topcoat from Nails inc is also fab - but I do think that goes better on top of Nails Inc polishes for some reason. I always finish off with some miracle drops from Leighton Denny - even though everything is quick dry I know - but just to make it dry even quicker!

I usually use Caviar from Nails Inc and their basecoat too. Seche vite is also fab and you can get it really cheap through ebay. OPI polish is fab but not their topcoats.

I love OPI RapiDry & Seche Vite, but I do find that they both go thick eventually.
I use OPI Nail Lacquer Thinner in both my top coat & Nail Envy & it just restores them like new.
You can find the lacquer thinner on Ebay.

I use the Caviar top coat because its so quick drying if i didnt use this i probably would never get chance to paint my nails and wait for them to dry!

it does chip though, probably because my nails flake abit!grr!

I must have funny nails as although I find the N.I. top coat fast drying, I don't find it particularly hard wearing & usually use another cheapo top coat on top for hardness!
Doesn't seem to matter if I put the Caviar straight onto 'just done' nails or leave it 'til they're 'dry', it never really hardens fully on me & is easily marked hours later!

I'm glad I've spotted this thread as I have the same problem with both the base coat and top coat I have now (Sally Hanson and Seche Vite).

Has anyone tried the new Essie top coat which makes all varnishes go matte? I'm seriously thinking of buying this one.

All rapid drying top coats will go thick as they are slightly thicker than ordinary top coats. You need a nail varnish thinner when this happens, which you can also use for all nail varnishes. I use opi's thinner, which I get on ebay. If you use seche vite top coat, you will have to use their thinner with it, from ebay or beverlybeaute.com as no other brand will work with it. (I have stopped using seche as it has toluene and formaldehyde in it.) I use poshe super fast drying top coat, which is fantastic. Never use nail varnish remover to thin any varnish as this ruins it. Also if you haven't got room in the fridge for all you varnishes, I don't. On hot days, put the colour, top coat and base coat in the freezer for five minutes and it should be ready to use.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions :)

All rapid drying top coats will go thick as they are slightly thicker than ordinary top coats. You need a nail varnish thinner when this happens, which you can also use for all nail varnishes. I use opi's thinner, which I get on ebay.

I have the OPI Thinner and I actually gambled and tried this the other day but it make no difference to the top coat at all. First I tried the recommended 3-4 drops. The again, and again, and again....so many times and it made no difference.

Also if you haven't got room in the fridge for all you varnishes, I don't. On hot days, put the colour, top coat and base coat in the freezer for five minutes and it should be ready to use.

Definitely don't have room in the fridge (my OPI bottles reach 3 figures... that's all I'm going to confess to LOL!) but I have to say OPI polishes are great. I must have some that are 10 years old and they behave just like new. ONLY the OPI MINI bottles dry up (they all have for me) but all the standard size bottles are great no matter how long I have had them and they have never been near a fridge. Just thought this might be good to know for those of you who have OPI bottles and worry about not having space for them in the fridge :)

Definitely don't have room in the fridge (my OPI bottles reach 3 figures... that's all I'm going to confess to LOL!) but I have to say OPI polishes are great. I must have some that are 10 years old and they behave just like new. ONLY the OPI MINI bottles dry up (they all have for me) but all the standard size bottles are great no matter how long I have had them and they have never been near a fridge. Just thought this might be good to know for those of you who have OPI bottles and worry about not having space for them in the fridge :)

I couldn't put all mine in the fridge either. I think there were about 40 bottles at last count! And I bought three more Leighton Denny ones yesterday to add to this. x

Latest posts

Back