gift, gifting, giftable

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

what is all this about ? CHuntley kept saying "you could gift it" and "if you are gifting it". Miceal (sp, sorry) has just described the YC TSV as "giftable".

I thought the verb is "give" and the noun derived from it is "gift". Why then are they creating another verb from the noun ? It just sounds ridiculous (well, it does to me, but perhaps it's my 1960's girls grammar school snobbishness showing ?).

Linda xx

Yes, this seems to be a new trend. I first noticed it in the Olympics - the GB womens football coach said "we're hoping to medal" ??? Interesting how the English language evolves.

Funnily enough, tonight on Facebook I announced that I was starting up a society for the protection of the missing letters from people's texts and writing these days, along with the banning of made up verbs such as 'party' and 'gift'!!!! HUGE bugbear of mine.

People seriously don't know how to write or speak anymore. I come up against this in my job every day.
It's sad that they have to employ people like me to teach adolescents how to write and count when they have been in education for 12 or so years :(

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Yes, this seems to be a new trend. I first noticed it in the Olympics - the GB womens football coach said "we're hoping to medal" ??? Interesting how the English language evolves.

That smacks of pure laziness to me. But then I am old fashioned! I'm all for evolution, but the new 'language' just doesn't make sense!

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Oh, don't get me started on this subject! I could be here this time next year.

It is laziness, really. It takes more words to say "this would be ideal to give as a gift" rather than "it's giftable", "we're hoping to be able to win a medal" instead of "we'll medal". I also like the correct use of the words but I think some people take a great delight in deliberately amending the use of a word and some just can't be bothered to speak and write properly. I feel like a right pedantic old fogey now :thinking:

It is laziness, really. It takes more words to say "this would be ideal to give as a gift" rather than "it's giftable", "we're hoping to be able to win a medal" instead of "we'll medal". I also like the correct use of the words but I think some people take a great delight in deliberately amending the use of a word and some just can't be bothered to speak and write properly. I feel like a right pedantic old fogey now :thinking:

I've heard several of the US guests use the "gifting" thing so I'm assuming this is where it originated. If you think you are a pedantic old fogey then I think you'll find you're not alone

“The misuse of language induces evil in the soul”

― Socrates 469 - 399 B.C

Seems the problem has been around for a while then :biggrin:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you......the gift of the gabble! Oh my goodness all this "gifting" talk is just RIDICULOUS. "Gift" cannot possibly be a verb! Chuntley & Miceal Murphy deserve to be slapped every time they say it!

it's not just that Capirossi, it's the pronunciation as well, leaving the beginning off a word, or slurring them. one of the worst offender IMO are some of the voice overs on Q. BBC just as bad.

I've heard several of the US guests use the "gifting" thing so I'm assuming this is where it originated. If you think you are a pedantic old fogey then I think you'll find you're not alone
Yes Gemma its got to be American hasnt it? When I was growing up(60s and 70s) you never heard the word "gift", it was always birthdat presesnt etc. Even now I dont know anyone who says gift in the real world. But we have gift lists, gift wrap etc now but I still say wrapping paper. Must be common! Its all part of QVCs strange unique language along with skin area, for you, coming through, pop of colour,and bang on trend.

I hate people using TEXT speak on forums. Sorry, but I think Moron! Now I know I am not the best at spelling or the use of punctuation, but TEXT speak on forums really p*sses me off. I know on a few other forums I visit a poster will get ripped to shreds for using Text speak.

As for I'm gifting, sounds like a bowel movement.:tongue:

I have a friend, a professor at Queen's University, Belfast, who warns his undergradutes they will have 10% deducted from their exam papers for using text speak.

"Gifting" is just absurd. I accept that any language must evolve, but some of these modern terms are ruining our rich vocabulary.

What a lovely thread to wake up to on a Sunday morning - it makes you feel you're not alone!
I think my worst experience was receiving a reply to an email I'd sent to a company (that's represented here on ST) and the whole thing was in text speak, I was completely disgusted (and so was the company when they heard about it). Retraining needed there I feel.

"this item is perfect for giving"

There!

No additional words required...in fact it's 1 letter shorter than "gifting"

A small part of me withers and dies when I hear or read verbal abuse like this.

Jude xx

Also podium seems to be used as a verb with the same meaning as to medal.

As for "would of" and "should of" aaargh!

Also podium seems to be used as a verb with the same meaning as to medal.

As for "would of" and "should of" aaargh!

Endemic I'm afraid.
I picked up a friend of mine on it, he's the same age as me so no youngster. He was genuinely shocked that he'd been getting it wrong for so long, and actually embarrassed because he did it in business e-mails without a clue.

Latest posts

Back