General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just having a quick pint and I’ll answer your messages on the mattress and why it is exclusive and the price. Would rather let you know how I secured it and I’ll answer your questions for what I am trying to do here. No hate, genuinely trying to bring an affordable mattress to air :)

Tim and Kevski with Vostok watches. Some sort of sound off screen, so Tim made a joke about Peter Simon being in the building and falling over because of the price of the Vostok.

A tease that the BAFTA® Award Winning Peter Simon is coming to Seen Plenty of Times Before on TV? 🙏🤭

(Hope not 💀, and I really do mean this, okay, right)

Last edited:
Just having a quick pint and I’ll answer your messages on the mattress and why it is exclusive and the price. Would rather let you know how I secured it and I’ll answer your questions for what I am trying to do here. No hate, genuinely trying to bring an affordable mattress to air :)

Alex, you are a brave man, and that pint is well deserved (big launch day) 👍

Ok - ask away.
I have worked for lots of mattress companies and they are all pretty good. One has something more than another - foam or a better environmental story or a 365 sleep trial etc.
I wanted to do something different so we went to Airsprung who I worked with at IW previously.
I told them what I wanted in terms of a mattress and they said they can create one for me based on those specifications. So I got to be apart of it which is great. What I have learnt is mattress companies (the big ones) charge huge amounts for the name. That’s what you are paying for essentially from the big boys. No different if you buy a Sony Tv vs a Blakpunkt for example.
Because our mattress doesn’t have an international recognised name I can buy it and market it at a much better price so we make a profit but not rip people off.
The same mattresses with the same spec that we created sell for £100 more on similar mattresses. So if you were to buy a similar mattress it would be those prices. You can buy cheaper ones as well of course but the foam / materials aren’t as good.
You all spend a lot of time on here showing a massive interest in shopping TV and enjoy watching it (the good bits and the bad bits) and we love it just as much as an industry and a job too. It’s live, it’s reactive and it’s fun. So I’m happy to interact and I fully appreciate I won’t be some peoples cup of tea.

For anyone tempted by a Vostok luxury timepiece this evening, all the "pieces" are available elsewhere for lower prices.

Plus, if you Google the model number, you will see from the search results that they were all available on Kev's website (http://www.just4watches.co.uk) for much lower prices but miraculously, they have been removed from his website in time for tonights show. How long until they are back on his website at their original lower than Seen on TV prices?

Kev appears to be wanting to avoid a similar situation that he faced with Shop on TV where he was booted out for knowingly undercutting their prices on his own website, unfortunately Google has a memory.

What I have learnt is mattress companies (the big ones) charge huge amounts for the name. That’s what you are paying for essentially from the big boys. No different if you buy a Sony Tv vs a Blakpunkt for example. Because our mattress doesn’t have an international recognised name I can buy it and market it at a much better price so we make a profit but not rip people off.

I don't think that (bit in bold) is news to anyone but you there, Alex 🤭.

In big brands defence, their "name" isn't valueless.

Building a recognisable, trusted brand takes years. It has to be earned - that requires money. So it's not unreasonable for a company who spent a lot of money building a quality brand to expect people to pay more for it. There are costs involved in maintaining the brand reputation with customer service, warranties, and so on.

As an aside, this is why shopping TV is awash with cheap, poorly-made, far-eastern watches emblazoned with the names of defunct British department stores (!). Why spend money and effort building a reputable brand of your own when you can buy up the rights to someone else's old one, milk their rep until people get wise, then move on to the next.

Glad you didn't go that route, fwiw 👍 no-one needs a C&A mattress.

But is it entirely accurate to say cut-price ITEM is worth the same price as a premium brand ITEM by virtue of having the same 'specs'? A bit iffy given some of 'worth' includes intangible stuff a branded item may have which a cut-price item doesn't, e.g., infrastructure, warranty, testing, market research, marketing, customer service.

You say "the same mattresses with the same spec" — so your mattress is the literal same mattress (made by Airsprung) which other big companies also sell with their name on it?

Or is it technically not the same mattress at all it simply has comparable specs? Cos given that 'specs' isn't a fixed thing - e.g., a cheap 15W sound-bar and a branded one may both be 15W, but how good the audio actually sounds depends on more than watts… Y'know.

But that aside, it seems a fair mattress for an okay price - but in saying it's worth more is… a trigger.

Last edited:
I liked it. 😊

I, like ‘the insider’ (I assume so anyway) am an ex Ideal staffer and was there for some time. I’ve been trying to set up an account for some months but the system accused me of being a “spammer”! Ha.

Anyway. I know the dust settled some time ago but I’m happy to talk about it if you’re happy to ask.

For anyone tempted by a Vostok luxury timepiece this evening, all the "pieces" are available elsewhere for lower prices.

Plus, if you Google the model number, you will see from the search results that they were all available on Kev's website (http://www.just4watches.co.uk) for much lower prices but miraculously, they have been removed from his website in time for tonights show. How long until they are back on his website at their original lower than Seen on TV prices?

Kev appears to be wanting to avoid a similar situation that he faced with Shop on TV where he was booted out for knowingly undercutting their prices on his own website, unfortunately Google has a memory.
Are there any honest people working in shopping TV?

I noticed he didn’t say even once how much he sells them for

I wonder ….. Is the mysterious Insider Jamie Martin? How else would he know so much “inside information” and be so bitter???? It must be you!!!!

Latest posts

Back