Gemporia's Biggest Problem

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Or better still, from Gem Select where the prices are lower on most stones (not all - but most), the quality of the cut is usually better, and you actually get the stone you see in the photo - unlike Gem Collector, where I've occasionally bought stones that look good on screen, but I've had a different stone sent to me, on the same item code, that is washed out or badly windowed.

They used to say that they didn't pick the best stones out to show on-air - but I'm not convinced these days - particularly when the presenters get the stone out of a bag that says "studio sample" on it.
that's a good point

Or better still, from Gem Select where the prices are lower on most stones (not all - but most), the quality of the cut is usually better, and you actually get the stone you see in the photo - unlike Gem Collector, where I've occasionally bought stones that look good on screen, but I've had a different stone sent to me, on the same item code, that is washed out or badly windowed.

They used to say that they didn't pick the best stones out to show on-air - but I'm not convinced these days - particularly when the presenters get the stone out of a bag that says "studio sample" on it.

I have always assumed they pick out the best stones to show on air. Particularly stones like Ruby in Zoisite or Sakura Agate - I have never got a piece as nice as those on screen. I understand these are natural stones but you do want some of the characteristics that give them their name!

If you could only pick one.....

What is the single most important reason you have either stopped shopping with Gemporia or now buy less from them?

It can be for a personal reason like having less money and not because Gemporia have done anything you dislike.
I've chosen approx four different diamond rings that I really like, but once I come to securely check out my card is not being accepted, Why I do not know it's so frustrating for me. I have emailed Gemporia and have received emails back but following that their has been no constructive help whatsoever. Please try to help me. Sincerely Linda klopotowski

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always assumed they pick out the best stones to show on air. Particularly stones like Ruby in Zoisite or Sakura Agate - I have never got a piece as nice as those on screen. I understand these are natural stones but you do want some of the characteristics that give them their name!
I've said it elsewhere, but I have a memory like a sieve, and less patience than an empty hospital (to look where), but I remember buying a ring that looked good on air, but when I got it home, there was barely any pattern on it, and it was renowned for it's pattern within the stone. I think it was Sakura, actually.

Everyone on this forum is aware of the precipitous decline in gemstone quality, metal weight and build quality of Gemporia and Gem Collector products. The shenanigans around "sale", "clearance", re-listing items under new item codes and other price manipulation methods, when it comes to Price Pledges are also understood as are the dubious, incorrect and plainly ridiculous market stall trader sales techniques. Looking at some review site entries, there seems to be three other complaints.

a) DPD parcels are stolen because the parcel is not "white labelled" and the Sender is declared on the parcel. It seems as if Gemporia won't treat this with any seriousness at all. They really can sort this out. Just an unnecessary risk as they automatically assign DPD for expensive items.

b) Their web feeds are terrible and randomly & persistently terminate abruptly. I've had this problem for years. It almost certainly is an issue their end.

c) T&Cs are lacking in detail or relevant clauses not made clear at purchase - to the disadvantage of the customer. This is an area that Event Ticket, Airline and Travel Agency firms have been forced to change. The repeated point in the reviews relates to ring size. If you select the option for resize at point of purchase, you are automatically revoking your right of return, even though the size options offered are only those standard to normal Gemporia items.

Responses by Gemporia to these quite legitimate complaints are shocking.

If you select the option for resize at point of purchase, you are automatically revoking your right of return, even though the size options offered are only those standard to normal Gemporia items.

I'd be curious as to the legalities of this.

It is true in law that 'bespoke' items that are custom-made to a customers request have to refund rights (unless faulty) - but the resizing of a ring would not be considered bespoke, particularly when the company doing the resizing is the same company that is selling it (no refunds would be understandable if the resizing was carried out by a third-party contractor). As you say, the resizing options are 'standard' Gemporia sizes too.

I can see no reason why they'd not offer refunds - unless they had no confidence in their workmanship and the resizing is noticeable (i.e., the join not soldered, smoothened and polished properly to make it invisible).

Gemporia seem to use any excuse to wriggle out of giving money back these days.

I'd be curious as to the legalities of this.

It is true in law that 'bespoke' items that are custom-made to a customers request have to refund rights (unless faulty) - but the resizing of a ring would not be considered bespoke, particularly when the company doing the resizing is the same company that is selling it (no refunds would be understandable if the resizing was carried out by a third-party contractor). As you say, the resizing options are 'standard' Gemporia sizes too.

I can see no reason why they'd not offer refunds - unless they had no confidence in their workmanship and the resizing is noticeable (i.e., the join not soldered, smoothened and polished properly to make it invisible).

Gemporia seem to use any excuse to wriggle out of giving money back these days.
It seemed very odd to me too. A warning pop up or message at the point when you select a re-size would probably cover them, but still a reason to think twice. Perhaps it does do that 🤷 but there is no suggestion in any of the reviews or Gemporia responses that this is the case.

One lady complained about the very obvious 'cut and shut' on the band and suggested that she had lost a disproportionate amount of metal, thinning the under-finger part beyond what it would have been otherwise.

Also, you might reasonably think that, if the selected standard Gemporia size somehow came back into stock in the period between auction and despatch, they'd send out an untampered one and not charge for the re-size?

a) DPD parcels are stolen because the parcel is not "white labelled" and the Sender is declared on the parcel. It seems as if Gemporia won't treat this with any seriousness at all. They really can sort this out. Just an unnecessary risk as they automatically assign DPD for expensive items.
It's even more risky when Gemporia sends parcels abroad. I live in Poland and my parcels are always carried by at least three different carriers (British one, continental one, and Polish one). There are many occasions to steal the thing.

It's even more risky when Gemporia sends parcels abroad. I live in Poland and my parcels are always carried by at least three different carriers (British one, continental one, and Polish one). There are many occasions to steal the thing.
This is unrelated, but it just reminded me of something. An acquaintance of mine in France, once told me that they don't send postcards via the postal service, unless they are in an envelope. He said that if the post worker 'likes' the photo, they keep the card, regardless. And, if you think that is daft, I have had postcards sent from him in envelopes.

This is unrelated, but it just reminded me of something. An acquaintance of mine in France, once told me that they don't send postcards via the postal service, unless they are in an envelope. He said that if the post worker 'likes' the photo, they keep the card, regardless. And, if you think that is daft, I have had postcards sent from him in envelopes.
Insane! 🤯

I've said it elsewhere, but I have a memory like a sieve, and less patience than an empty hospital (to look where), but I remember buying a ring that looked good on air, but when I got it home, there was barely any pattern on it, and it was renowned for it's pattern within the stone. I think it was Sakura, actually.
This is why I never buy agates nor jaspers from Gemporia. I need to know exactly what I get. The best option is buying loose stones online. Your local goldsmith can frame them for you.

Latest posts

Back