Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

just checked their accounts and not good, up to date which is good, still profit but sinking and revenues down from 83 to 77 million ... not sure endless Jade can stop this

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 20.32.41.png

Adina was on last night flogging some pink stone from Afghanistan. She talked in great detail about how hard it is to source and buy gems from Afghanistan (while reminding us that she wasn't being political).
Now I'm sorry but the whole thing didn't sit right with me at all. Why the hell are Gemporia even buying anything from there in the first place while The Taliban are in control of the country?
The company should remember that a lot of their staff wouldn't even be allowed to work if they were based there and they certainly wouldn't be allowed to visit a local park or go to a beauty salon or even go to school since the latest restrictions were implemented.
Obviously profit means more than anything else to Gemporia, but I do wonder how they can justify it to themselves when for years they've been banging on about responsible sourcing of gems.
Truly shocking IMO.

Adina was on last night flogging some pink stone from Afghanistan. She talked in great detail about how hard it is to source and buy gems from Afghanistan (while reminding us that she wasn't being political).
Now I'm sorry but the whole thing didn't sit right with me at all. Why the hell are Gemporia even buying anything from there in the first place while The Taliban are in control of the country?
The company should remember that a lot of their staff wouldn't even be allowed to work if they were based there and they certainly wouldn't be allowed to visit a local park or go to a beauty salon or even go to school since the latest restrictions were implemented.
Obviously profit means more than anything else to Gemporia, but I do wonder how they can justify it to themselves when for years they've been banging on about responsible sourcing of gems.
Truly shocking IMO.
Is that the Pink Diaspore?

if so, they've obviously bought it because of the huge profit margins they can make. They've set every one into their Arthur Ivy pieces and sold them for thousands.

Gemporia have always been contradictory with their morals.

They claim to buy diamonds that comply with the Kimberly Process (no blood diamonds) - but they happily buy Emeralds and Rubies from Gemfields (A quick Google or a follow of Yianni Melas on Instagram will tell you everything you need to know about them).

They claim to care for the environment and have a 'carbon neutral' logo on their website - yet they happily imports cheap products from China to sell for profit.

They claim to be able to offer 'lower prices' (debatable) by 'cutting out the middleman' - yet are happy to pay for Dave Troth to waffle to us for hours on a daily basis.

They're happy to price compare against Monica Vinader - but they don't tell you that Monica Vinader offer a 5 year warranty (Gemporia offer the minimum statutory warranty period of 6 months), 100 day returns (Gemporia offer 30 day returns), and if the gold wears off a Monica Vinader Gold Vermail item of jewellery, they replace it for free (Gemporia do not offer this at all).

Oh, and on Jewellery Maker this week, they've sold an 'old stock' strand for £50 - a strand that previously sold for £20 a year or so ago.

So, when it comes to morals, they're to be taken about as seriously as Lyndsey Carr participating on Mastermind.

It's ok, just seen your post in the other thread.

Well done for reporting it. I'm glad that the ASA upheld it - although after their third warning on less than a year, it does make you wonder when these warnings will be escalated to finally getting some sort of punishment.

I don't think Gemporia is sinking to be honest. No company will have a smooth ride and financial performance will fluctuate in response to global and domestic markets. I can't say I like all of the presenters, but take them with a very large piece of salt. That said I have been buying on and off from Gemporia since inception and honestly for genuine affordable gemstones in precious metals they are extremely competitive hence why they continue to deliver multi million profits. I buy discriminately for beauty and aesthetic value rather than investment.

what real power does the ASA have anyway ?
Taken from the ASA website:

Broadcasters are required by a condition of their broadcast licences to enforce ASA rulings.  If they persistently run ads that fall foul of the Broadcast Advertising Code, broadcasters risk being referred by the ASA to Ofcom, which can impose fines and even withdraw their licence to broadcast.

Taken from the ASA website:

Broadcasters are required by a condition of their broadcast licences to enforce ASA rulings.  If they persistently run ads that fall foul of the Broadcast Advertising Code, broadcasters risk being referred by the ASA to Ofcom, which can impose fines and even withdraw their licence to broadcast.

well we seen how Ofcom treats GBN ... toothless

I don't think Gemporia is sinking to be honest. No company will have a smooth ride and financial performance will fluctuate in response to global and domestic markets. I can't say I like all of the presenters, but take them with a very large piece of salt. That said I have been buying on and off from Gemporia since inception and honestly for genuine affordable gemstones in precious metals they are extremely competitive hence why they continue to deliver multi million profits. I buy discriminately for beauty and aesthetic value rather than investment.

and thats fine but the offerings have changed ... and their last profits as I quoted were low

and thats fine but the offerings have changed ... and their last profits as I quoted were low
It is still a very profitable enterprise notwithstanding the Global economic issues over the last few years. I am all for being objective and being critical where due but the reality despite comments in this forum is that Gemporia continues to be very profitable despite Jade Troth !

I don't think Gemporia is sinking to be honest.

Several rounds of redundancies, a severe hiking of prices, cutting split pay options from 5 to 3, the closure of two channels, a reduction in broadcasting hours on their remaining channels, desperate sales tactics, and the reliance of Steve Bennett putting his own money into the business just to refund customers in a timely manner stinks very much of problems in my view.

for genuine affordable gemstones in precious metals they are extremely competitive

They used to be. This was where they excelled - but these days are long gone. £50 for a gold tone Strawberry Quartz pendant is excessively over priced - as is £400 for a snot green Jadeite bangle, £150 wishy-washy so-called 'Blue' Jade carved dragon on a rope cord, and £149 for a coated Topaz in a gram of gold with a flimsy cheese wire band.

hence why they continue to deliver multi million profits.

They used to. I believe last year was under £300,000. That is poor and unsustainable for a company of Gemporia's size.

Gemporia buy expensive materials in bulk. All it takes is a couple of their suppliers to go bust, owing £400,000 of undelivered goods, and that £300,000 profit becomes a £100,000 loss.

When you've made millions in profit, you can absorb a few 'hits'. When your profit is £300,000, you can't.

Last edited:
Several rounds of redundancies, a severe hiking of prices, cutting split pay options from 5 to 3, the closure of two channels, a reduction in broadcasting hours on their remaining channels, desperate sales tactics, and the reliance of Steve Bennett putting his own money into the business just to refund customers in a timely manner stinks very much of problems in my view.

They used to be. This was where they excelled - but these days are long gone. £50 for a gold tone Strawberry Quartz pendant is excessively over priced - as is £400 for a snot green Jadeite bangle, £150 wishy-washy so-called 'Blue' Jade carved dragon on a rope cord, and £149 for a coated Topaz in a gram of gold with a flimsy cheese wire band.

They used to. I believe last year was under £300,000. That is poor and unsustainable for a company of Gemporia's size.

Gemporia buy expensive materials in bulk. All it takes is a couple of their suppliers to go bust, owing £400,000 of undelivered goods, and that £300,000 profit becomes a £100,000 loss.

When you've made millions in profit, you can absorb a few 'hits'. When your profit is £300,000, you

Unless you are a Corporate accountant I don't think you are qualified to comment. You clearly have personal issues with Gemporia which you like to share with a seemingly small number of like minded people, but outside of this forum thousands of customers are happy with Gemporia and continue to shop.

Unless you are a Corporate accountant I don't think you are qualified to comment. You clearly have personal issues with Gemporia which you like to share with a seemingly small number of like minded people, but outside of this forum thousands of customers are happy with Gemporia and continue to shop.
I don't think it takes a Corporate Accountant to look at the accounts from years past and recent to come to the conclusion that things are not well.

I'm not sure the Man With No Name has an axe to grind with Gemporia, I do think that a lot of what he says is true and I agree with nearly all of it. That being said it doesn't stop me buying bits and pieces as little presents in silver (not midas or vermeil or tone) or from the new Kimbie range (candles, scarves) but I no longer buy the more expensive pieces, most definitely not diamonds. Their marketing, presenters and over long 'guest' presenters now put me off from watching and I remember the time when I would watch all day long. When I do watch I've noticed that a lot of the people who message in have nothing but good to say however when I've messaged in asking a question (which would probably have a negative response) it goes ignored and I'm not asking to be argumentative but because it's a genuine question, so needless to say I don't buy.

If they do go under it will be because there's more out there like The Man With No Name, and others, including myself, who have 'seen the light' and are not prepared to part with hundreds of pounds any longer when with a little bit research you can get what you want for better value elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back