frocks with sleeves

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just seen the new range of frocks with sleeves by Leslie Ebbetts. Oh dear, more market stall than Chiswick Chic (same thing really). Cant these designers get anything right ? I've a good mind to have a go meself, in fact the Catalogues produce far more pretty stuff these days and with free returns.

I have always had huge issues with beefeater arms, and until the advent of shrugs and delicate cardis, would rather poke my eye out than wear a sleeveless frock. Now I would'nt wear anything else, purely because there are so many pretty cover ups to be had on the market. So this range wont be having my custom.

I read about these "delights" coming our way in "Woman and Home" magazine (the title always makes me laugh!) and thought "oh no, another polyester festival" Agree about the shrugs and little cardies Brissels, I have a great selection for when I am feeling a bit self concious about my arms. Get them from places such as Primark and New Look where the cost is low so I can have a good colour choice. Have a lovely Primark one which is light camel colour with gold coloured breading around the neck and sleeves.

I have been a fan of Lesley Ebbetts for years, since she was on This Morning with Richard and Judy. She comes across as such a nice person. I was surprised to see her pop up on QVC as the spokeswoman for Beth Terrell before they pulled the plug on that.

I had a quick gawp on the website and there is nothing much to interest me - I hope the range doesn't flop, as she is really nice, but I can't see it being a runaway success.

Another option for covering up your arms if the dress has a vest style top is to wear a fitted tshirt underneath. It works best for me if the tshirt also has a scoop neck. I sometimes do it if it's a bit chilly or with one particular dress that I think is a bit low cut for everyday.

Not seen the range but I have to admit once I've got a tan I'm happy to get my arms out.

LOL Brissles - Beefeater arms, I have them too, I thought they were worse now but I looked at a photo of me at 18 and I am all slim except from elbow upwards...I never worse sleeveless tops then and now they aren't exactly toned! I hate them, they only see daylight in my back garden..I wish they would make some lovely dresses with arms! Nightmare when I got married, thank goodness Kate Middleton wore sleeves! :flower:

Well, I woke up one morning to find my voluptuous boobies from a younger age had overnight morphed into a pair of Les Dawson's finest !!!!!! I couldn't figure it out for ages, and then the lightbulb went on............ the tops of my arms were responsible for my descent into looking "matronly" aaaaaaaaagh..... Yes, ladies, try it out, just cross your arms under your breasts and you will know EXACTLY what I mean !!!!!! its the sodding arms that transform what you look like from the neck to the waist.

Despite the years old Glen C (where IS he by the way) has been in the business, I bet he's never worked that one out !

I'm a huge fan of shrugs to wear over my sleeveless dresses. I had a huge weight loss and, despite weight training, was left with the dreaded 'bingo wings', but shrugs save my wobbly bits being on show. I've picked up some lovely shift style dresses in TKMaxx and Tesco and wear them with a proper longsleeve cardis in the winter and shrugs in our so-called summer.

Arms are very peculiar I think.
They beef up with age - man's delight, woman's horror.

What I cant figure out is,....... As the hair on our head gets thinner, our top lip and chin hair gets thicker !!!! WHY ?????

I can't fathom why more dresses don't have sleeves given how horrible the summer can often be. Today i am wearing a vest, a long sleeved jumper, jeans and a pair of ankle boots that I had to dig out of a box of winter stuff I had put away, awful where I am, wet and cold. Have come to the conclusion that summer clothes are a waste of money unless you go abroad on holiday.

There was one of those joke emails I saw once. Went from being newborn, hairless, toothless, incontinent and generally helpless, not sleeping through, not walking etc. takes you right through to childhood, teens, twenties, upwards, past middle age and the downward spiral back to being bald, toothless and helpless. It was meant as a joke about getting old but it made me feel sad, because I know many people who do their damdest NOT to get that way.

It didn't help with the hairy lip and chin bit though!

Just browsing internet at 24 hour product review and they are on now. The range seems really expensive for what it is. Same stuff but better quality/cheaper at my local M & Co or good old M & S.

What a nice guest. Unaffected and easy to listen to. Some of the dresses looked promising too. Quite liked the one Catherine was wearing and the similar polka dot dress. I would have to shorten them though (all of 5 ft) and I've never heard any presenter ever mention such a possibility. Is 'alteration' a rude word? We've been told we can belt and blouse, or hitch up under our boobs and wear heels, but never actually alter. Do the fabrics unravel or something if you take a pair of scissors to them? It's not just the length either. The models look great in everything but I really need to try before I buy.

What a nice guest. Unaffected and easy to listen to. Some of the dresses looked promising too. Quite liked the one Catherine was wearing and the similar polka dot dress. I would have to shorten them though (all of 5 ft) and I've never heard any presenter ever mention such a possibility. Is 'alteration' a rude word? We've been told we can belt and blouse, or hitch up under our boobs and wear heels, but never actually alter. Do the fabrics unravel or something if you take a pair of scissors to them? It's not just the length either. The models look great in everything but I really need to try before I buy.
Some man-made fibres are tricky to alter esp if they're very stretchy but I know my limitations, if I'm not confident I take mine to a dresmaker to alter, most things I'll shorten myself being also 5' I've had plenty of practice. QVC have never got to grips with a real petite range have they?

Jude xx

I'm amazed at how the same old spiel comes out for the same poly/elastene - only the guest changes (and the pattern) ; - doesn't crease, lightweight, no need to iron, wash and go,. yawn yawn........zzzzzzz

WHY do they make it sound as though they've just invented it ?????? like Tiana B, Ronnie Nicole, Nina Leonard, George Simonton, Antthony, Rene, they're all guilty, and NOW there's a new kid on the block Lesley Ebbetts, she's at it too !

I come from a family that has dwt genes & have passed it on to my daughters. My mother insisted we should sew. "If it doesn't fit, you make it fit!" My daughters however are hopeless and I suspect they know if they resist I will come to the rescue.

The only advantage we dwts have is that sometimes we can find clothes in the children/ teens section. I would guess that half my wardrobe is age 11-12 years :grin:

Latest posts

Back