Fashion sizing??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
I rarely buy anything in the way of clothes from QVC but I saw a top on Casual & Co I liked this morning. However the sizing was such I didn't bother to order. Out of curiosity I checked a randon selection of very similar design C&C tops (yes, I know I should get out more!) and how on earth, regardless of your size, are you suppose to rely on ordering a specific XS, L, 2XL etc when there can be up to 4-6 inches difference for the same size?

If this is something that applies across the ranges it's utter madness. If you didn't catch the sizes when they eventually read them out or write them down quickly how annoying, if you don't have access to the internet, to have to keep ringing the call centre to order. I expect a lot of people take a chance and order on Qcut, no wonder returns are so high!

Couldn't they at least display the measurements under the size on screen, not beyond the limits of technology surely! :wonder:

I do think that Ideal World are way ahead here and have good structure charts on screen, it always look rubbish the way the persenter on Q has to fumble with a card and then says oh dear they appears to have missed off the chest ones!

I've bought a couple of things from Casual & Co over the years and the sizing is so different for some garments, I remember I once was a 3XL - eek and then and XL was too big for me...another I got and the arms were very right but the body huge.

I don't know about Casual & Co as I've only ever bought one dress so it's difficult to compare but it makes me laugh that with Kim & Co I need a 3xl in a dress but in her leggings I need a Large. And I am honestly a curvy size 18/20. Granted my boobs are normally a 20 and my bum is an 18 but three sizes different?? That's their wonky sizing.

And although I've never bought from Michelle Hope I'd have to buy a 20/22 or more likely a 24/26 top but a 16/18 bottom.

There are ranges I dare not even try ... like Diane Gilman ... because I couldn't begin to work out what size to buy.

On the dreaded high street it is fairly consistent.

A few months ago I got a call from CS telling me my returns were too high and asked why I sent back so much.
I explained that it was mostly fashion as their sizing is terrible and as an example I told them that I had ordered two of the same tops in different colours in the the same size but one was about 2" bigger than the other . It went right over the callers head and he said he would send me a note of all their brands sizing to help me in future to order the correct size!:confused:
I agree that putting the sizes up on screen would be a big help but also getting the same garments sizing a bit more uniform would be beneficial.

now again, clearly i am not the target audience for QVC "fashion" but there have been a couple of occasions that i considered buying my mum a jacket from QVC. But i have no idea of the sizing, i know my mum is a 14/16 but what is that in QVC world ?

now again, clearly i am not the target audience for QVC "fashion" but there have been a couple of occasions that i considered buying my mum a jacket from QVC. But i have no idea of the sizing, i know my mum is a 14/16 but what is that in QVC world ?

As Flinty keeps telling us that is a medium as this is her size apparently!

Saying this the dreaded high street isn't consistent for me, i'm usually a 20 but sometimes a 22, I shop a lot on-line with Yours Clothing who luckily have quite consistent sizing, generally i'm a 20 on there.

I have (ahem) bought Kim & Co in the past, but her sizing is mad too, except I do like her leggings, always an XL in that, I have also bought Quacker (not mad snowmen) and do still buy Carol Hochman and am always an XL in those two brands so some ranges are consistent.

I have noticed that often and XXL is often 7 inches bigger than an XL which is very odd (Nina Leonard, tried and failed with this range).

Last edited:
Just one thought that might be helpful, particularly with casual & co as they do a lot of cotton and viscose stuff. If you're buying clothes without stretch then you really should buy clothes that are at least 4 or 5 inches bigger than your actual measurements. Especially in tops otherwise you'll never be able to move your arms! If there's stretch in the material or an elasticated bit round the boobs then you're OK to go with the actual measurement or maybe plus an inch or two.

What gets on my pip with QVC is that they give the measurement and when you get it home it bears no relation to the actual measurement of the garment. Nina Leonard is one of the worst for that.

Just one thought that might be helpful, particularly with casual & co as they do a lot of cotton and viscose stuff. If you're buying clothes without stretch then you really should buy clothes that are at least 4 or 5 inches bigger than your actual measurements. Especially in tops otherwise you'll never be able to move your arms! If there's stretch in the material or an elasticated bit round the boobs then you're OK to go with the actual measurement or maybe plus an inch or two.

What gets on my pip with QVC is that they give the measurement and when you get it home it bears no relation to the actual measurement of the garment. Nina Leonard is one of the worst for that.

Oh for the days when they presented fashion whilst sat at a table and measured everything with the good old QVC tape measure..........

I have attempted to buy from QVC in the past for aunts and the like, and the sizing is wildly different from range to range. Some presenters are good at listing measurements, but I'm afraid I'm no good looking at a model on tv and thinking if an item would look good on Auntie Sharon. I've had my fair share of bad buys and am wary of buying from ranges I don't know off tv

Latest posts

Back