Exclusive to QVC - for now; + / - ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I am always put off a product, I may otherwise have been interested in, when it is only available at QVC, or has been made especially for QVC. My cynicism flags up the fact, that the buyer, i.e. you and I, is unable to do a price comparison. Plus, I don't want to be wearing a bag, only able to be purchased at QVC, as everyone will know where I got it. For me, it is a definite negative. I am interested to learn other opinions of 'exclusivity'.

£30 saving on a tsv, is not what I would call a great price.

Last edited:
Exclusive to QVC it may be - for now. When the manufacturers make more of the product that QVC cleaned them out of and the product is consequently being sold all over the place, that's the time to buy elsewhere, not at a QVC exclusively high price. I've been stung before now and won't be done again.

It doesnt bother me as long as the quality is equal to their other stock. Difficult to know until purchased, granted, but I am very selective. Lulu G is in Cheshire Oaks, is that stock rejects or last season?

ive had lots of exclusive items & never had a problem with any of them like for example supersize purity the quailty is the same as the original smaller bottles just a better price & lots of others ive had that are exclusives have been perfectly the same quailty as if i bought them in a store so it wouldnt put me off at all

The last "exclusive to QVC" Kipling bag was pretty sub standard compared to my others.

I won't see that as a good thing in future.

My main caution with exclusive to QVC is whether the item is made for QVC by the original brand, or made by QVC under licence to use the brand. I doubt this would be the case with beauty products, however other items could easily be unique to QVC because it's a QVC supplier producing it. A prime example on QVC is Kelly Hoppen. QVC are not alone in doing this - in the US you'd have the likes of Target, and here we have Designers at Debenhams doing clothes, home furnishings etc. The benefit is you get a little slice of something classed as premium for a much more affordable price... and for the designer to preserve their good name, the quality won't be rubbish, generally speaking. And personally, I'd rather get a sanctioned use of a brand name than pay for a knock-off where you don't have a clue who is actually benefitting from your money.

Don't care if it's exclusive or not. if I like it and it's a good price then I will buy it. If it's not then I won't.

If you worry people will know where you bought something then you have very little to worry about!!

Don't care if it's exclusive or not. if I like it and it's a good price then I will buy it. If it's not then I won't.

If you worry people will know where you bought something then you have very little to worry about!!

I don't think people go round looking at peoples wares thinking ah I'll bet that was made for QVC. My friends and family know I shop with QVC. I wouldn't care if any one knows my Kipling, Birkis or what ever was from a shopping channel anyway.

I think if we get exclusives that came via QVC US, such as supersize beauty items, I think we are okay. Otherwise wouldn't go near them. I do remember the first one ever, the infamous Butler and Wilson bag. What turned out to be the one eyed croc(it didn't start out as one in the factory), but either one the way to the customer or when it arrived had one eye fall out.

My main concern, is the inability to compare prices, which no-one else seems bothered about. Interesting.

I like to compare prices but I think my concern is more around the impression that the items are designed by the actual designer ,rather than under licence.Its a false impression and its taken me a long time to work it out,since Q went in for more high value items.

As May mentioned ,Kelly Hoppen seems to have allowed her name to be used .Then there's Butler and Wilson of which I'm doubtful. Even Birkenstocks on Q are not all Birkenstocks.Calling them the Birkenstock family doesn't cut it for me.I don't like being manipulated. Don't care if its made exclusively for Q so long as its designed and produced by who they say.Either that or Q needs to be more explicit about exactly who is behind the various brands. Its another reason why my purchases have dropped to practically nil.

Last edited:
I got the green Croc of Sh!te B&W bag for £7 at a local charity shop. As well as the green croc attached it had the gold coloured crystal croc inside. I've never used it but both crocs have 2 eyes (each) so it could be a rare collectors item in years to come! :mysmilie_13: It's in the loft somewhere with about 2 million beanie babies (great insulation).

Turandot, Nicky Butler was the designer in the B&W (still designing in silver and gemstones in the US), the "quirky" stuff sold on QVC is mostly sourced in the Far East not "designed" here at all, although maybe Simon requests Scottie dogs or adds his BW stamp during production. Have a look on alibaba.com, plenty of B&W designs on there the last time I looked! :mysmilie_15:

It`s all in a name. Many items are made by the same manufacturer but sold under different names and to a lot of people that`s what matters. If 2 bags were identical , made in the same place by the same company and one had Kipling stitched onto it and the other had Bonzo Dooda Bag company stitched onto, even if there was 100% difference in price then some people would pay it just for the name. So many brands outsource their manufacturing to China, India, Vietnam or wherever and common sense tells us that these massive production companies certainly won`t be producing for just one brand but lots of people still fall for the hype that they`re buying something special. Perhaps in days gone by and when we actually produced items in this Country then that might have been the case but not nowadays. A bag made in China is a bag made in China, whatever its name, a dress made in India is a dress made in India, whatever its name, a necklace made in Vietnam is a necklace made in Vietnam, whatever its name and so on and so on.

My main concern, is the inability to compare prices, which no-one else seems bothered about. Interesting.

I wouldn't say no-one's bothered about it. I think it's a valid, given, point that's now broadened out into the wider issue of trust in what we're being sold in these circumstances.

I like to compare prices but I think my concern is more around the impression that the items are designed by the actual designer ,rather than under licence.Its a false impression and its taken me a long time to work it out,since Q went in for more high value items.

As May mentioned ,Kelly Hoppen seems to have allowed her name to be used .Then there's Butler and Wilson of which I'm doubtful. Even Birkenstocks on Q are not all Birkenstocks.Calling them the Birkenstock family doesn't cut it for me.I don't like being manipulated. Don't care if its made exclusively for Q so long as its designed and produced by who they say.Either that or Q needs to be more explicit about exactly who is behind the various brands. Its another reason why my purchases have dropped to practically nil.

birkenstock call different fabrications from the usual fabric different names. betula tends to be the leather upper, pappillio tends to be any other upper with a print or patent. they are still birkenstocks.

also i dont agree that something is made in china or vietnam is all the same. the company using these countries will still want a high standard to keep thier branding secure.

birkenstock call different fabrications from the usual fabric different names. betula tends to be the leather upper, pappillio tends to be any other upper with a print or patent. they are still birkenstocks.

also i dont agree that something is made in china or vietnam is all the same. the company using these countries will still want a high standard to keep thier branding secure.

Agreed that the Chinese makers need not be rubbish and are improving , it's not where they're made that's the problem.

.Some of the Birkenstock range don't have the Birkenstock logo on them. It will say for example Papiliio for Birkenstock. Betulas don't even have that on them yet they are marketed on Q under the Birkenstock name.

True, and any company who farms out the manufacturing to China needs to weigh up the very high risk that the design will be copied and fakes threaten their branding.

I got the green Croc of Sh!te B&W bag for £7 at a local charity shop. As well as the green croc attached it had the gold coloured crystal croc inside. I've never used it but both crocs have 2 eyes (each) so it could be a rare collectors item in years to come! :mysmilie_13: It's in the loft somewhere with about 2 million beanie babies (great insulation).

Turandot, Nicky Butler was the designer in the B&W (still designing in silver and gemstones in the US), the "quirky" stuff sold on QVC is mostly sourced in the Far East not "designed" here at all, although maybe Simon requests Scottie dogs or adds his BW stamp during production. Have a look on alibaba.com, plenty of B&W designs on there the last time I looked! :mysmilie_15:

Ahhhh the infamous croc bag ! - the stuff of nightmares - what WERE we thinking ????? I too bought the green one (I'm still asking why ???) so it may well have been mine that you bought Akimbo ! and then locally I saw no less than 4 being carried in my nearest town centre. I never bought another B & W bag ever again.

I look for a design I like, that works for me, is good quality at a price I consider acceptable. The designer name means absolutely nothing to me, and I deliberately avoid obvious branding.

I recently saw the Biba show. All that obvious, self congratulatory branding? No thanks!

In contrast, I bought a LG bag about a year ago. Cringed at the price. Had almost convinced myself it was an absurd waste of money and I would return it as soon as I had unwrapped it. How wrong I was. It is amazing leather, amazing construction, and it looks as good as new after 365 days of use. But I chose a design without obvious branding...

Latest posts

Back