Ewww! Stinkies!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Snarly

Registered Shopper
Received 2 Attitudes tops today (#148499/£11.20). Before I opened the blue Q bag, it smelled chemical-ly. Opened it and then the clear bag - overpowering stench. I quickly rewrapped and resealed to return. Washed my hands thoroughly. Shame, as I liked the colours and style. Labels read, made in USA of imported material. Then I had a look online and found many articles about formaldehyde! being added to clothes and material to protect the fabrics from insects during the long shipping times. Great! Another thing for me to watch out for! I can see, I'm going to have to get out my sewing machine and make Mennonite/Amish-style cotton clothing to wear. Has anyone else encountered this? x PepeLepewSnarly

Yes I have. In the past I discovered it more on thick sweatshirts and wondered what it was - almost like a petroleum smell, and can be even more pungent during ironing.

Quite "creepy" to learn that its coated in a substance to keep it insect free - I dread to think what sort of 'insects' would infect a fabric, apart from moths !

Have you ever noticed how hotel towels often smell sour, almost vinegary? I assume it's some kind of disinfectant used in the wash but it's very unpleasant.

Seems like we darent venture out without needing anti bac wipes, alcohol hand gel and sprays and anti bac handwash for washing. Now its added to some household soap powder etc, not to mention floor wipes, toilet wipes and the list goes on. Its a wonder we all struggled to adulthood without such benefits- must have become a mucky old world!

Have you ever noticed how hotel towels often smell sour, almost vinegary? I assume it's some kind of disinfectant used in the wash but it's very unpleasant.

I went to Italy last year on hols and the bed linen smelt of vinegar - yuk. Not only that but the white bedsheets turned blue after sleeping on them and left blue marks on my skin which looked liked bruises. What is that all about!

Snarly, I took delivery of 2 maxi skirts from Attitudes from Rene today, no smell and they are absolutely fabulous. Sorry you have had to return your goodies.

Hotel towels and bed linen not only smell, they are stuff as a board too. They must boil wash them to within an inch of their life. If they are going to add chemicals they may as well use a sensitive fabric softener to stop them feeling so scratchy. No different to hospitals, but without the rips and tears and "trust property" stamped on them.

I have to confess to occasionally adding vanish anti bacterial scoopy stuff to my washing but only when my babies have had a "nappy emergency" or to bedding and towels. We dont seem to suffer from any reaction and I do have sensitive skin.

I think the chemicals in new clothing must be why many manufacturers reccommend washing before use. If you like the clothes try this first and return if the smell sticks around.

I ordered a top from the Cashmacrap range, a good while ago now. When it arrived - same thing happened, overpowering chemically smell from the bag. I opened it and the actual top itself smelled even worse. I hung it on the line outside to see if that would help, but no. Sent it straight back for a refund (oh and the material was like a dishrag, awful quality anyhoo).

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have other tops from Attitudes, Artscape, Aanthony etc and they were fine. This was the firrt time. Update: took anti-histamine for my itchy eyes and sore throat, as whenever I burped (ladylike, I know!), I tasted mothballs. Took Murine eye drops. Whatever it was, I "no like". Well, that's definitely gonna cut down on my future Q purchases! Today, I am living up to my name as I feel snarly, irritated and testy. Best I stay in my den. lol

Just had a Tranny & Susie dress arrive and it stinks of chemical-type things too. Never noticed it on anything before (it is ages and ages since I ordered any clothing though) and have never noticed it on anything I get from M&S, Zara and Phase Eight by post. I will email them....

LizGregs: Oh dear, awful stink isn't it? What do you think of the dress? Quality? Where's it made? 'Tis Snoopy, I am! x Snarly TIA

Nearly put a clothes peg on my nose before going to find out place of manufacture.....Sri Lanka. It stunk again!! Dress was ok (it was the sort of animal print that T was wearing on the afternoon show) but it is very much a fire risk. M&S are much better for quality and price, not to mention the p&p differences. T&S seemed a bit pricey for the item and didn't do anything for me but the sizing was what I would call standard dreaded high street. Just off to email QVC's award winning CS to sort out return...

Thanks LizGregs, for that. How can the warehouse staff handle that smell - it must be vile. I had another PépeLePew moment this afternoon, in the guise of Mally EDP. Bleuch! Going back from whence-it-came. x

Latest posts

Back