Eurovision gave me a thought.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ant7t

Registered Shopper
I am not a prude, and don't expect this thread to go for miles, but I read up on the Irish entry this year, and it stated they go by the term non-binary. I know that means they don't regard themselves as either female or male, but: and here's the thought. As the list is getting longer for sexualities: LGBTQ blah blah blah, (NOT being rude to anyone under that umbrella). Binary means two. Clever aren't I? And if there are a huge variety of perceived sexualities and / or genders, doesn't that make non-binary somewhat obsolete as a term? Don't shoot me, genuinely curious.

Interesting point. You could argue to do away with LGBTQ+, which includes trans etc. and replace that with non-binary instead. So you'd just have m/f/n-b.
Nemo the Swiss winner is stated as non-binary too.

But these labels seem to be based on how one feels and not what they are.
Irish entry looks like a female, Swiss like a male.

Transvestism seems to have gone out the window and now one is non-binary, trans or another label.

Interesting on the NHS 111 site the first question is "what sex were you at birth?".

The problem is "extremes". I've seen so-called trans women (men now living as "women") who look like men and have had breast implants, saying and acting as if they are having period pains. It seems to be an act, mental or rights entitled, entitlement and about their rights to be that, whether they truly believe it or not. Gender politics.

But then I've encountered trans people actually living as women, who have the hardest lives in their 'predicament', seeking or having had sex change operations but dressing and living as women. A bus driver springs to mind, surely a difficult enough public facing role and a male attitude at the depot...

And we do come across people, young and old who you can't tell from their androgynous appearance if they're male or female. It's a spectrum and I can understand nature must produce female brains in a male body, for instance.
The problem is sorting the real from the false and dealing with the impact of their rights on the rights of others that co-exist with them.

Interesting point. You could argue to do away with LGBTQ+, which includes trans etc. and replace that with non-binary instead. So you'd just have m/f/n-b.
Not sure that would work. You may as well call it The DoHS group. 'Diversity of Human Sexuality Group'. It's shorter and includes straight folk too. That way you can be what you are and not really be labelled. Non-Binary, doesn't necessarily cover any of the 'others' in the group, albeit valid to those using the term.
But these labels seem to be based on how one feels and not what they are.
I think it's a mixture. The physical body 'is', it's the brain that dictates whether that body is correct. The brain is the one that 'feels' and therefore acts accordingly.
Transvestism seems to have gone out the window and now one is non-binary, trans or another label.

Interesting on the NHS 111 site the first question is "what sex were you at birth?".
Transvestism seems an almost obsolete term in today's day and age. You have the two extremes of the Drag Queens / Kings and those who just like to dress in usually women's clothes. You see them and for the most part, you don't really take any notice, so the term isn't as prevalent. I was waiting with my brother for a taxi this week and a man asked if we waiting to go into the building. He was wearing a pink dress with white accents. NOT trying to be a woman and I was ok with it. And as an aside, isn't it funny how a man in women's clothes is more 'topic' than if you saw a woman in man's clothes, even though, by the very term, both are transvestites?

And I haven't seen that on the NHS, but I have seen on other forms, asking what gender you 'go by'.
A bus driver springs to mind, surely a difficult enough public facing role and a male attitude at the depot...
I was told by my friend that there used to be a bus driver on her bus routes that was 'permanently dressed as a woman'. Not sure if they went by the term he or she, but regardless, it seemed they were treated well.
The problem is sorting the real from the false and dealing with the impact of their rights on the rights of others that co-exist with them.
I think that is why the transition process is so stringent and making the person live as that chosen sex for a period before transition.

Just wait, a Furrie will appear at Eurovision next year. Now will they be able to sing whilst wearing the head of a rabbit, dog, cat, wolf etc.
They probably have had at some point. The amount of costumes that have stood on 'that' stage, it wouldn't surprise me.

Just wait, a Furrie will appear at Eurovision next year. Now will they be able to sing whilst wearing the head of a rabbit, dog, cat, wolf etc.
I love the fact kids made this up (furry) to wind up adults !!

I think that is why the transition process is so stringent and making the person live as that chosen sex for a period before transition.

yep according to some I could turn up tomorrow to my GP say I am a woman and get the surgery next day. Far from that is the truth, people have jump through so many jumps and few regret it because of that process. the idea of Gender dysphoria is nearly as old as me !

Gender dysphoria refers to the mismatch between gender identity and birth-assigned sex. The concept was coined by the psychiatrist Norman M. Fisk in the early 1970s (Fisk 1974).

It is normal human nature as regards gender and sexuality as old as anything, amazing how people were homosexual in Roman times with no TV pressuring them !!

It is normal human nature as regards gender and sexuality as old as anything, amazing how people were homosexual in Roman times with no TV pressuring them !!
Gender, or more specifically sexuality, is, as the saying goes, as old as the hills. It's attitude towards it that changes, for the most part for the better, albeit slowly. And, a mini bug bear (or however it's spelt) of mine is, how people say homosexuality isn't normal. A person is born 'that way' (or whatever way, when it comes to sexuality) so consequently that is all they know. So, to them, it is normal. There is no such thing as 'normal'. Each person's normal differs from anyone else. Even if it's just slightly. I'm partially colour blind: that is part of my normal. You probably thought I was going to say something else. ;)

yep according to some I could turn up tomorrow to my GP say I am a woman and get the surgery next day. Far from that is the truth, people have jump through so many jumps and few regret it because of that process. the idea of Gender dysphoria is nearly as old as me !

Gender dysphoria refers to the mismatch between gender identity and birth-assigned sex. The concept was coined by the psychiatrist Norman M. Fisk in the early 1970s (Fisk 1974).

Yes, but the gender politics of today says 'if an individual identifies as a <man/woman/other> then they are'.

No assessment, period of transitioning, process. This is what I think JKR, GL and others are questioning and their associated rights to participate in the activities (sport, personal areas, etc ) just because they identify as such.

Yes, but the gender politics of today says 'if an individual identifies as a <man/woman/other> then they are'.

No assessment, period of transitioning, process. This is what I think JKR, GL and others are questioning and their associated rights to participate in the activities (sport, personal areas, etc ) just because they identify as such.

well thats always the difficult question because the cases of those abusing the 'system' are actually few and should not make the case for the rest.

Latest posts

Back