Emma Hardie - Use Within Dates

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

LuvLizEarlestuff

Registered Shopper
Hi

Does anyone know how important the "use within dates" on skincare are. I've just started a 100ml pot of EH Moringa Balm and noticed a 6 month symbol on the back. I'm guessing this is shorter than most because of lack of preservatives. Problem is, I really don't think I will finish pot within 6 months. Appreciate any views on this from all you beauty addicts out there?:confused:

Last edited:
I think it is very important. I have been using a face cream that had a 6month date on it and I hadn't realised....been using it for months after this and just had a terrible rash all over my face due to doing so.:mysmilie_487:

To be honest, go by smell and texture. I bought NUDE skincare cleansing oil in the SpaceNK sale it had to be used in 6 months and as it was 100mls going strong long after that date. They now make it in a 50mls size.

I actually find the way they date cosmetics totally stupid. So use within 6 months, but how long as it been on the shelf waiting to be sold. The crap about once its opened. Welll unless it is airtight has a seal which can only be broken once opened makes no difference. It can still go off sitting on a shelf before you get it. If these companies were really worrying about it then they would have a manufacting date on the pots and a cut off date too. Decleor used to have this long ago now they use the EU standard of 6/12/18 months. The EU brought out this rule where all cosmetics has to have ingredients listed(this was good, those some companies hated the idea) and also a use by date. You see 12 months on power cosmetics, when infact they will last for years. Mascaras throw out after 3 months, rubbish if you have an eye infection then you throw out eye pencils and mascara. My mascaras bite the dust when they dry up or start to smell a bit funny, the latter has never happened.

So go as I said by smell, if it starts to smell different or the texture seems not as it was then I would worry.

To be honest, go by smell and texture. I bought NUDE skincare cleansing oil in the SpaceNK sale it had to be used in 6 months and as it was 100mls going strong long after that date. They now make it in a 50mls size.

I actually find the way they date cosmetics totally stupid. So use within 6 months, but how long as it been on the shelf waiting to be sold. The crap about once its opened. Welll unless it is airtight has a seal which can only be broken once opened makes no difference. It can still go off sitting on a shelf before you get it. If these companies were really worrying about it then they would have a manufacting date on the pots and a cut off date too. Decleor used to have this long ago now they use the EU standard of 6/12/18 months. The EU brought out this rule where all cosmetics has to have ingredients listed(this was good, those some companies hated the idea) and also a use by date. You see 12 months on power cosmetics, when infact they will last for years. Mascaras throw out after 3 months, rubbish if you have an eye infection then you throw out eye pencils and mascara. My mascaras bite the dust when they dry up or start to smell a bit funny, the latter has never happened.

So go as I said by smell, if it starts to smell different or the texture seems not as it was then I would worry.

Thanks for that Donna. (I was half expecting a reply from you as I've learned from other replies that you are very knowledgeable on beauty).:grin: I do agree about beauty items sitting on shelves and I'm especially wary in department stores when they're sitting under such hot lights. I'll go by texture and smell and hopefully will be ok. If NUDE skincare can produce 50mls then perhaps other brands such follow suit.

Agree with all Donna's points. I'd also add there are steps you can take to maximise the life of a product, common sense really. If the moisturiser is in a pot use a little scoopy thing or a cotton bud rather than you finger to dip in, provided it's a clean scoop to reduce the transfer of oil or bacteria; always put the lid on. Don't leave on a hot window sill. Beyond that I think the manufacturers err very much on the side of caution with their dates.

Jude xx

where is the sell by date out of interest? I looked and could not see one on the packaging or on the container either??

where is the sell by date out of interest? I looked and could not see one on the packaging or on the container either??

Hi Snowstorm, On the 100ml its on the container at the back with info on amount and recycling. Perhaps you should have gone to Specsavers:wink:

in my local Debenhams the perfume section has so many lights above the shelves that when you pick up the tester bottles they are boiling hot,surely this can't be good for perfume and it may be affected before you even buy it.

I have wondered about this too.I ordered 100ml of the balm from space nk which arrived yesterday.originally i bought the starter kit from qvc which was brilliant.But the new balm does'nt seem to have such a wonderful smell to it.So i rang emma hardie direct and spoke to a lovely lady called Louanne who told me to return it and she would send me out a new one,and send the returned one to the lab to be checked.she said there should'nt be a difference,but she was very helpful.Don't get me wrong,it worked the same way,but did'nt have that lovely citrus smell.will let you know what happens

Hi

Does anyone know how important the "use within dates" on skincare are. I've just started a 100ml pot of EH Moringa Balm and noticed a 6 month symbol on the back. I'm guessing this is shorter than most because of lack of preservatives. Problem is, I really don't think I will finish pot within 6 months. Appreciate any views on this from all you beauty addicts out there?:confused:

Emma Hardie also mentioned that you can also use this balm as a night treatment, similar to the Decleor Night balms. I have had Decleor balms for a long time as I tend to swap around depending how my skin is, they will eventually lose their aroma but I'm talking about after a couple of years! (that's what happens when you have a stash you have forgotton about!) Also Emma said you can use it as a cuticle treatment, massage on to dry areas and even as a lip balm.

I also use a spatula or cotton bud to take out the product from the jar. If products are not used regularly then contamination from dipping in fingers can make your product 'go off' quicker.

:flower:

Thanks for that Donna. (I was half expecting a reply from you as I've learned from other replies that you are very knowledgeable on beauty).:grin: I do agree about beauty items sitting on shelves and I'm especially wary in department stores when they're sitting under such hot lights. I'll go by texture and smell and hopefully will be ok. If NUDE skincare can produce 50mls then perhaps other brands such follow suit.

Speaking of hot lights, I recently went to a Decleor counter in a department store to smell one of their balms, I saw the tester jar (which was under hot lights) opened the jar and the balm had melted all into my hand looking like lemon curd!! That put me off buying as the retail products were there next to it!!
This kind of storage also determines the product's shelf life opened or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back