Ecoegg tsv

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AngelGab

Registered Shopper
Hi - apologies if there's an existing thread (couldn't see one) - did anyone else go for this tsv earlier in the week? - Ive used it a couple of times and not sure about it - there's no frothing/lathering in the washing machine and I'm wondering if I've fallen for the old "emperor's new clothes" joke - ie it's just water washing the clothes :mysmilie_19:

I am sceptical about this product but will admit that suds in the wash is not necessary to clean anything, it is purely playing to an ingrained idea used by soap powder manufacturers in their selling technique arising in the 50's.

In other countries it is not uncommon to buy cleaners to be used entirely with cold water and they don't have suds.

I seem to remember they were many posts on here some years ago about how bad they, and the TD ones were but Q keep selling them so maybe they are ok. I think you can get them in Lakeland etc.

I use ecoegg or ecoballs (from Ecozone) most of the time as the 3 of us at home don't generally do anything to get clothes really grubby. I find they clean and refresh 90% of my loads. The weekly challenge is DD's work clothes (part time job at a cafe) as they smell heavily of chips and bacon when she gets home. When my son is home from Uni and has played football or been to the gym I might add a scoop of vanish hygiene. Now I don't like the smell of laundry soap powder or liquids but I suspect most people have grown up with the scent of Persil or Ariel and been conditioned into equating the scent with clean.

I refill my egg/balls with whatever refil pellets are cheapest on the web as there's very little to choose between them, I stocked up in a Lakeland sale and probably won't rebuy for another couple of years. They take up no room in the garage and so far haven't been eaten by mice. I once had a big box of powder nibbled by mice and had mental images of them foaming at the mouth and pooping bubbles!). I can't see any frothing form my wash balls either, I suspect it's just a demo that works in a Lock & Lock spaghetti jar to re-assure that there is actually happening in the water.

I'd give them a longer trial but if you're missing the scent from detergents you'll be disappointed. I had the pink eco egg but could hardly smell any scent on the washing so I mainly buy unscented (whatever is cheapest). I also take one on holiday if we're away for 2 weeks and will have access to a machine.

A final plus point is white bras stay white longer, biological powders and liquids turn white bras grey, it has a lot less to do with them picking up colours from other clothes.

There's nothing to say you can't boost your eco egg with a stain remover product or add a splash of fabric softener to add scent (you only need a small amount, not a capful).

HTH

I use an Eco friendly green laundry liquid and it doesn`t give suds either but at least it seems to wash the clothes pretty well. I`ve read mixed reviews about the ecoegg, I think its one of those love it/hate it kind of product.
I find it almost impossible not to use a standard washing powder for certain loads such as my husband`s work clothes, he`s a landscape gardener and the eco approach simply doesn`t get the muck out though I use the eco stuff for almost everything else. Keep trying the ecoeggs, remember it doesn`t have bleach or whiteners in it so it won`t perform as well as normal washing powder on certain items or stains and if you still aren`t sure then send it back under the 30 day mbg.

There is no lathering with the ecoegg, which is why you can omit the rinse cycle. I have to use the ecoegg, because of my extremely sensitive skin, for which it is efficacious and suitable. I still believe that to get as good a clean as provided with detergent, one would need to wash on a high temperature which should, essentially, be unnecessary, as it is supposed to be ecologically friendly, and using less energy, thus costing less.

I found the exact opposite to everyone who's commented here and I really wanted them to work so I've been very disappointed. Whites eventually turned grey, even when washed separately, not all the dirty marks disappeared, so I've gone back to a cheaper brand of washing powder which does the job. I'm not bothered about lack of scent, it was the general clean appearance that I didn't get with ecoegg.

i found it totally useless. my daughter nearly left home so disturbed she was at the lack of freshness. personally the more i used it the more smelly the clothes became. the whites became putty grey and then the pellets started falling out of the egg and i succumbed to washing powder.

aldi do some award wining detergent. at good prices and excellent results. you guessed it eco egg is not for my sweaty family

I`ve never used ecoegg but wanted to be as green as I could be when doing laundry. I use this product and have found it excellent on everything except my husbands very very dirty work clothes. He`s a landscape gardener and even the toughest bio powder doesn`t get his work stuff totally clean, especially if he`s been working with cement or wet soil or grass,
The laundry liquid lasts for ages, you only need a small dose and it smells lovely and leaves things soft and is totally environmentally and skin friendly. It also has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00569EA24/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Very interesting posts here. I have been using a trio of washballs bought from Bid a couple of years ago, and have had great success with them. They have given good results on most of my washing, although I still use powder on stained or genuinely dirty items. The plastic washballs recently started to crack so they have been retired, and I ordered the ecoeggs as an alternative. I am hoping for good results, and if nothing else I think they should be fine for black and coloured clothing, as I think the washballs fade these less than my powder does.

Slightly off topic, but the best washing aid (rather than detergent) I have come a cross is colour catcher. Although I have always sorted my wash and never mix washes these sheets ensure that any dye is never transferred to other items. I am often amazed at the colour of the sheet at the end of the wash of things I could have sworn were fast. I particularly use them on new clothes where the dye can come out in the first few washes.

I've found mine to give good results, although any more than half a machine full and it doesn't seem to make much foam.

I use colour catcher sheets too - they're brilliant....I think I'll only be using my EcoEgg when clothes just need freshening up...hey ho...(bad idea watching a tsv in bed when half asleep - lesson learnt...!)

I love CC sheets, too - though a word of warning. My washer guy came to fix my machine one day and found a few of them stuck in the back and filter (God only knows why they decided to put the filter access UNDERNEATH the machine!). He told me that it's a common cause of machine breakdowns and advised I put the sheets in one of those washbags along with other small items - which I now do.

Never used the Ecoegg type balls. A friend is a gym bunny and gave up after finding out his gym clothes always came out smelling much like they went in! Plus he found clothes went grubby grey after a while.

If you do want to help the planet/cut down on costs, do what my washer guy suggested and use less detergent. I now tend to use a fair whack less than recommended unless I have a dirty load and my clothes still come out fresh and clean. I also (on my washer guy's rec) use less conditioner and every few washes use a powder with bleach (Daz powder was particularly rec'd so I save it for my white loads) as it inhibits mould growth in the machine (the bits we can and can't see). He also told me to run a full, very hot wash (empty) every few months to give it a really good clean out. He rec'd nothing or a proper machine washer like Dr Beckman. My machine is 10 years old now and still running well (though bound to die now I've said that out loud!), which I put down to following my washer guy's recs (and luck, I suppose - though my family's machines have been dying all around me on a regular basis but they definitely don't look after them and scoff at my WG's suggestions).

I've also tried to wash using lower temps (NOT rec'd by my WG unless for very specific fabrics/load types). I bought some of that Dettol in-wash stuff and also tried some other "hygeine" additives. Despite this, my machine started to smell, and unless dried fully and very quickly, so did my clothes. I don't want to be responsible for destroying the planet, and I'm certainly not keen on spending a fortune on energy bills, but I'm not willing to put up with a whiffy machine that leads to whiffy clothes - though I'd be very interested to hear from anyone here that has luck with low-temp washing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Latest posts

Back