Dejager and Thompson and Morgon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

S

scbu

Guest Shopper
Both of these companies appeared in the RJ gardening show with a some plants and bulbs, whilst on air it was mentioned that buying from QVC was cheaper than directly going to the company even the exact price comparisons were quoted, Especially with Dejager it surprises me that the owner of the company will stand there and allow it to be mentioned,so is he ripping off his loyal customers that shop directly with him ? Dejager has been going for many years and im sure has very loyal customer following that repeat purchase from him yet hes on QVC saying how much cheaper it is to buy from them rather than him. I no QVC will have bought a massive amount to get the price cheaper but it seems sad that companies like Dejager ad Thompson and Morgan would rather short change there loyal customers just for the money, when QVC could drop either of theses brands at the drop of a hat.

I don't think it's about shortchanging their loyal customers I think it's usual business practice. A company prices it's products for the retail market with an amount included for profit to make selling that item viable. If someone else comes along and takes on the overheads for handling/marketing etc for a massive amount of stock the company passes on those costs and can sell bulk at a reduced price. For the company just selling that amount of stock in that way helps to keep their overall business viable.

Supermarkets sell own brands alongside known brands all the time and some of the own brand products will have been made by the more well known companies. It's the same logic.

What I would say is check the DJ and T&M websites and others as sometimes the generic statement of 'you'd pay so much more if you go to DJ etc' doesn't apply to every item on air and where it does you have to consider that the comparison is sometimes for 3 of the same shrub that Q lump together and if you bought only one elsewhere it can be cheaper - and after all who necessarily wants 3 of the same?

I don't think it's about shortchanging their loyal customers I think it's usual business practice. A company prices it's products for the retail market with an amount included for profit to make selling that item viable. If someone else comes along and takes on the overheads for handling/marketing etc for a massive amount of stock the company passes on those costs and can sell bulk at a reduced price. For the company just selling that amount of stock in that way helps to keep their overall business viable.

Supermarkets sell own brands alongside known brands all the time and some of the own brand products will have been made by the more well known companies. It's the same logic.

What I would say is check the DJ and T&M websites and others as sometimes the generic statement of 'you'd pay so much more if you go to DJ etc' doesn't apply to every item on air and where it does you have to consider that the comparison is sometimes for 3 of the same shrub that Q lump together and if you bought only one elsewhere it can be cheaper - and after all who necessarily wants 3 of the same?

Yea i understand many companies do it , I just think its very odd that the Owner of Dejager will come on air himself saying its cheaper to buy from QVC than myself

Yea i understand many companies do it , I just think its very odd that the Owner of Dejager will come on air himself saying its cheaper to buy from QVC than myself
I know what you mean but he still has a vested interest in Q selling them as he's getting paid and guaranteeing more repeat orders in future.

Of course he could be very clever, whilst you are doing the price comparison you will be on his website won't you lol?

I know what you mean but he still has a vested interest in Q selling them as he's getting paid and guaranteeing more repeat orders in future.

Of course he could be very clever, whilst you are doing the price comparison you will be on his website won't you lol?

You dont need to go on there website coz they tell u on air exactly how much it would be compared to QVC, they even tell u how much p&p is lol

I buy direct from De Jager. George does say that the bulbs cost more from him - they do. However, if you buy 20 lots of bulbs from DJ you only pay one £5.95 postage. Buy 20 lots of bulbs from QVC and you'll be paying around £79 postage. QVC buy huge amounts of a product so they can sell cheaper but when you add in postage it pays to order direct. If you only want one thing then QVC is probably the way to go.

A lot of them do price comparisons using their own websites. LD for one was doing it yesterday.
Surely one of the reasons we watch Q is to try and get better prices.(Not that it happens very often)

Latest posts

Back