Definition of a kaftan.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought a magnificent kaftan from a West African lady on Brighton seafront. Its a purple tie-dye affair, is ankle-length, has 3/4 length sleeves and is not see-through at all. I paid a tenner for it. I love wearing it in summer around the house and garden (with nowt on underneath!) - no ways would my teenage daughter be seen with me wearing it out in public! All of QVC's "kaftans" are made from polyester see-through material and are nowhere near full length. They are hideous as well as vastly overpriced, and that includes the ridiculous p&p on top.

I sooo agree Flam, Q seem to associate anything with a floaty sleeve as a 'kaftan', er nooooooo.

I am now of the opinion that the 'kids' who are employed at Q, (especially those who decide what colour an item is, and its nothing like it !!!) weren't even born when I was wafting about in my proper kaftan complete with beads and manky daisys in my hair !!!! and now from being a child of the 60's to being in my 60's I can still waft unfettered in my proper ankle length kaftan !!!

If they just mean a cover-up ti wear by the pool, then thats what they should say, they have to be made of polyester to be sheer and see through (clearly the intended style) otherwise they would have to sell silk for much more money. I have a couple of tops that are floaty and sheer ( and one is silk, the other is polyester) which I got from Bay Trading for a fiver before it closed, and the polyester one was from New Look and cost more! I dont think the TRUE kaftans from the 60's would do so well on Q... Bit of an "acquired" taste. Great for wearing round the house with nothing underneath though... imagine them saying THAT on air!

Slightly off topic I noticed Michelle Hope was selling some stretch trousers yesterday which she said were 95% cotton and 5% elastane for the stretch.... not bad, maybe she's listening to what people say after all.

Pretty sure, as I did a doubletake when she said it! I didnt buy tho! Lol

Latest posts

Back