Cutie Patootie Will Gowing

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That would irritate the life out of me too Shopps. My parents used to say 'Five & twenty past' & 'Five & twenty to' for 5.25 & 5.35 - why??? I've never known any other person do this & it drove me loopy, in every other respect they were wonderful & I didn't even go through the embarrassed by parents teenage angst 🥰

Some languages eg Italian count in groups of twenty. So does Welsh. I speak both. When it's done in Welsh I can usually pinpoint as to their level of literacy in the language, their education, etc. It also sounds more correct. It is a case of speaking the language correctly or sounding like you are speaking English but using Welsh words.
Just for you, all things Italian, in Italian say it was 5. 20 it would be
Sono le cinque e venti which is basically five and twenty past lol

Glad you explained this about Italian. When I first learnt Italian I took to so much of so easy as a lot of it is in Welsh as well. Italian having male/female colours but we do numbers but only for the 2, 3 & 4.

When I was learning Italian I was told "these are the rules but if it doesn't make the language sound beautiful change it so that the language sounds beautiful, Italian has to be beautiful.". Which I think is one of the best rules I've ever heard for anything. Life should be beautiful. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇮🇹

Some languages eg Italian count in groups of twenty. So does Welsh. I speak both. When it's done in Welsh I can usually pinpoint as to their level of literacy in the language, their education, etc. It also sounds more correct. It is a case of speaking the language correctly or sounding like you are speaking English but using Welsh words.

Glad you explained this about Italian. When I first learnt Italian I took to so much of so easy as a lot of it is in Welsh as well. Italian having male/female colours but we do numbers but only for the 2, 3 & 4.

When I was learning Italian I was told "these are the rules but if it doesn't make the language sound beautiful change it so that the language sounds beautiful, Italian has to be beautiful.". Which I think is one of the best rules I've ever heard for anything. Life should be beautiful. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇮🇹

That is correct PennyPitStop, in Italian it has to sound right, so sometimes they use words that do t quite make sense, but the language spoken is much more rhythmic. I was told, always listen to ending of the words, as that can make such a difference to the understanding! French probably sounds more beautiful, but Italian is the language of emotions, vibrancy and love 💓 Funny thing is when learning the time in Italian, we went through the old ways of saying the time. It is a bit of a faff saying five and twenty past, I’ve never heard anyone actually say other than on an old film, I can imagine Miss Marple using it though !

I’ve heard people say that!!!!!! “Five and twenty to ten” for 9.35. My parents didn’t but I think it was other relatives or people in the village of their generation. Could it have been a wartime thing for some obscure or totally mad reason, I wonder? I might resurrect it now, 😭😭.
I had never heard till I moved down south!

Notice the p & p price on that film clip as well, - £2.45 to send a £13 item through the post. They were at it even back then !!!
My account was closed yesterday, 27 years after I became a customer, & I'm sure p&p was always £2.45 & £2.95. All that money...

Latest posts

Back