Cosmetics

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I remember years ago when I was in my teens hearing a consultant gynaecologist warning about the number of diseased ovaries that he removed from women that were found to be full of talc. I stopped using it then, never used it on my own babies and won't have the horrible stuff in the house.

Indeed not, but unless you're going to be swirl/tap/buffing your minerals over your moo, I don't think it's something to worry about.

Yes, BB, but I'm sure inhaling it could be a problem long term, especially if asthmatic as the demo's make it look like a lengthy process to achieve the desired flawless look.

How the hell do you get talc in your ovaries? That's some forceful dusting!

Jude xx

Your body absorbs certain amounts of everything you put onto it as well as into it and over time it builds up in your body.

I remember some years back wanting to buy Mitsouko dusting powder. I was told Guerlain and many of the other perfume houses had withdrawn talc as the EU considered it a problem to those with asthma. Now I have noticed some have brought it back again. Oh, I have asthma and never remember having a problem with it.

The BE thing, because the Americans are the kings of sue everything(watch Judge Judy), the companies are very very jumpy.

Hee hee often heard in the casualty department.

Oh yes. Having worked in an A&E department I could write a book on the subject. One which immediately springs to mind was a woman with a tennis ball in a certain orifice and the story was that she had simply been playing tennis. Errmmm????

If you sit at a dressing table to do your make-up and you use ANY kind of powder, the surface shows a really fine layer. I use Bare Escentuals and Laura Geller, one loose and one "baked" and they're one as bad as the other. But it really is minimal. And whilst the media hype is a concern, dear lord life is too short. I've sniffed up the ****** stuff every day for years anyway so maybe the damage is already done.

Oh yes. Having worked in an A&E department I could write a book on the subject. One which immediately springs to mind was a woman with a tennis ball in a certain orifice and the story was that she had simply been playing tennis. Errmmm????

Game, set and snatch?!!

On the rare occasions I've had a spray tan, I worry for the girls that do the actual spraying as none of them wear masks. I mentioned it on numerous occasions but they take a lassez faire attitude to it. Lord above knows what effect this will have on their lungs in years to come, as to me its no different to paint spraying a car !

As for talcum, before the advent of deodorants, there was very little else available to make us "smell nice" after we had a bath !

Also when its a sunny day in your bathroom, just see the amount of 'lint' that comes off the toilet rolls - its practically a rainstorm of fine white powder !!!!!

I saw a documentary once which followed 2 sisters who shared a flat and at the beginning of the programme they had bloods taken which were analysed for all kinds of chemicals. The readings were quite scary in some respects and the scientist leading the experiment said long term usage of certain products could affect fertility, their kidneys and other health problems. For 2 weeks they had to rid their apartment of all cleaning products and cosmetics and toiletries and were given " safe " options such as soap nuts for their laundry, organic cleaning products, specific makeups and toiletries. After the 2 weeks their bloods were analysed again and the levels had dropped dramatically, some right down to zero. I must admit it was interesting viewing and the girls ( both in their early 20`s) weren`t initially keen on parting with their makeups and toiletries etc but after the 2 weeks said they were quite happy with the replacement items and would continue to use some of them. Ironically losing their household cleaning products didn`t seem to bother them a jot lol.

Plenty of my female relations have lived into their 90s and used talcum powder, loose face powder. I am sure that my bottom would have been amply sprinkled with talcum powder when I was a baby. I used talc a little as a teenager but soon gave up 'cause it was messy on the carpet. The UK population seems to be growing so a few deaths from a bit of powder isn't going to do much harm.

Latest posts

Back