Cook's Essentials TSV 29/01/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cook's Essentials 4L Digital Pressure Cooker
Item Number: 804741
QVC Price £49.50
Today's Special Value Price £39.96
P&P £6.95

This easy-to-use, four litre electric pressure cooker means you can cook flavourful meals in a fraction of the time it would usually take, plus with its digital display and pre-set programmes you can saute, slow cook, steam or cook rice and risottos to perfection. Whether you're creating delicious meals for the family or cooking for a crowd, save time with this versatile Cook's Essentials pressure cooker.

Reduce your cooking time - the power of pressure cooking means that your cooking time is reduced compared to cooking in a traditional oven - food still keeps in all the flavour and moisture and is cooked to perfection quicker!

A meal when you walk through the door - the slow cooker function offers a delay timer and automatically switches to keep warm once the specified cooking time has come to an end, meaning your meal is always hot and ready when you are, without drying out.

Digital display - easily read the time remaining and select your programme from the six available, or if you prefer, you can set the time and temperature manually with the custom button.

Extremely versatile - the list of delicious recipes that can be created with the pressure cooker is endless, from curry, to chilli con carne, to steamed chicken and vegetables; a selection of favourite recipes have been included with this pressure cooker to start you off.

Easy clean - the inner pot features a non-stick Teflon coating from Dupont and can be taken out of the cooker for easy cleaning.

Not suitable for dishwasher
Non-stick Teflon coating from Dupont
Cooker (l x w x d): 31 x 28 x 31.5 (12.2" x 11" x 12.4")
Weight: 4kg

Contains:

1 x digital pressure cooker
1 x measuring cup
1 x spatula
1 x steam rack
1 x user guide
1 x recipe book

Colour options:

Black
Cream
Red

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.804741

The family are thinking about getting one of these for my Mil & just Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice on using this product.
Mainly is it really as easy to use as Q are trying to imply. Had a look on Qusa, but their cookers are different styles to this one also appear to be huge, half a cow anyone.

It's just my Mil is 82 and now lives in sheltered housing after a stroke, the kitchen is the size of a cupboard, so space is limited, also her co-ordination and memory are not that great, so for obvious reasons were not that keen on her using the cooker.(she struggles lifting pots and pans, sometimes forgets she has put stuff on or falls asleep). She is trying to hang on to her independence as much as possible, even when it means refusing the help she needs. She hates it when the family bring her over food, claiming they are making a big fuss for nothing. She refuses to eat the meals that the complex can provide either in the dining area or in her flat, she claims not to like the choice on offer. She won't use a microwave for cooking, as she says it doesn't cook food properly. Won't eat ready meals, even from Marks and Waitrose, as in her opinion they are all slop. Tried a slow cooker but she complained it takes to long and she can't eat when she wants. We are getting no where fast with her. While I can still admire her determination, its really beginning to stretch everyone's patience.

Thinking this gadget could be a happy medium, she can still have a bit of independence by cooking what she wants, when she wants, but safely,if Q's claims are accurate and true.

So my questions are;
has anyone used one of these before,If so, is it easy to use,
how reliable are Q's electricals, I don't want to buy it get her used to using it then have it conk out in a couple of months, then not being able to replace it.

Thanks for any assistance yours can provide.

I have a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker, purchased from Amazon, although it is not an electric one. It is simplicity itself to use, extremely quiet compared with my previous spitty, hissy 35 year old Prestige one - so much so that I had to keep checking that it was working! This link is for the 8 litre size, but they also come in smaller sizes which would be perfect for a single person.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00009A9XU/?tag=shoppingcom03-21
I sympathise with your difficulties with MIL. My elderly mum refuses to use anything but than the microwave!

The family are thinking about getting one of these for my Mil & just Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice on using this product.
Mainly is it really as easy to use as Q are trying to imply. Had a look on Qusa, but their cookers are different styles to this one also appear to be huge, half a cow anyone.

So my questions are;
has anyone used one of these before,If so, is it easy to use,
how reliable are Q's electricals, I don't want to buy it get her used to using it then have it conk out in a couple of months, then not being able to replace it.

Thanks for any assistance yours can provide.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, I remember all the problems we had with my grandmother when she was still alive and not wanting help.

I'm currently debating whether I should get one or not. The QVC price is cheap but I'm seen comments on other forums about lack of replacement parts. I also have a newer stovetop pressure cooker, so I'm asking myself if I really need it.

They do sell electric pressure cookers on the high street so if it's important to be able to replace and take back you could always buy one in Argos or Robert Dyas.

Thanks for your advice.

Orea you kind of hit the nail on the head, one of my main concerns is just that. If she does like it and gets used to using it, then something goes wrong, its then getting QVC to fix it. Apparently the QVC guarantee on electrical is only 6 months, thats really bad. At least with JL(2 years), Argos, Currys etc you get (1 year), you can take it back to the store and get it replaced or repaired. On the other hand with Q, at least she would be able to try it out properly then decide if it fitted her needs.

In the end my sis-in-law has decided to order it it for her. That way if it doesn't like it or she struggles to use it, my s-i-l can give it to her daughter who is living in a flat share at uni. Also if she likes it and can use it, we can then look to upgrade it to the all singing, all dancing Tefal 45 in 1 that my other half suggested, (or should i rephrase that, wants).

I'm new to pressure cooking, so not an expert but I recently purchased the Instant Pot from Amazon and I have found it to be a brilliant addition to the kitchen, using it most days and I am about to get an extra pot so I can use it twice a day for when I want to make a pudding or side dish.

The reasons i went for the Instant Pot were that it has a stainless steel pan - I recently have switched all our pans to stainless steel as I really do not like teflon coated and so literally have two old cooks essentials pans that I so rarely use that it does not make sense to replace yet.

The instant pot has a load of pre-programmed cycles, and it is easy to clean and use. I have found meals are ready much much quicker and are flavoursome - and that is with a very limited range at the moment! I used the internet to find lots of recipes and it's been great to find a pressure cooker alternative to almost anything you like. It also seems like most models are pretty similar and have the same functions - some may have a few extra programs or a larger interior, but they are all pretty much the same thing.

If you are worried about ease of use i would say I love pressure cooking and think it is actually very easy. In terms of model, I am somewhat disenchanted with QVC and would sway towards Lakeland if you are at all worried and if not, any of the good high street outlets you mention. As I say, I got the instant pot from Amazon because they had a great deal on it, so it may be worth keeping an eye on there if you are not in a rush.

Good luck - and be prepared to fall in love with it and end up buying one for yourself too!

Latest posts

Back