Cooks Essentials TSV 29/01/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I really miss my old tefal pressure cooker. I've tried a CE "low pressure" cooker but, although it's suitable for an induction hob it doesn't maintian the pressure because of the way in which an induction hob switches on and off all the time (that's just the way they work). I won't waste my money trying a traditional pressure cooker because I suspect it would also fail to work on my induction hob.

Disappointed with the size of the TSV, a pressure cooker is huge, but you can still use it half full. The TSV is too small to batch cook meals to freeze.

Jude xx

I'm a bit confused, when you select one of the other functions, say rice or soup - is it engaging the pressure cooker? Sorry, I've not seen a full presentation yet.

My mother insisted I needed a pressure cooker when I first got married (37 years ago). It always scared me to death but I have never got rid of it and it lives on the bottom shelf of the bottom cupboard where you have to get everything else out to reach it and there it will stay!

I do not think it is a ~full~ pressure cooker...I do a family beef stew in 20 mins, any longer would have no beef left,( that gammon joint he had would take about 30mins)...pea and ham soup takes 15mins... chicken soup 13 mins. His times were a lot longer...and I would love to have seen him cut one of those big spuds in half, very doubtful those were cooked through in the time he mentioned, even in my Tefal cooker spuds of that size would take a good 12-15 mins. It is very small too. Would be good for 1-2 people though.

daydreamer

Daydreamer, he's just said that because it is not on a direct heat source as a hob-based one is, it takes about 1/3rd longer than a hob pressure cooker, and that you should adjust any hob-based pressure cooker recipes accordingly. Does that fit with your experience now?

I really miss my old tefal pressure cooker. I've tried a CE "low pressure" cooker but, although it's suitable for an induction hob it doesn't maintian the pressure because of the way in which an induction hob switches on and off all the time (that's just the way they work). I won't waste my money trying a traditional pressure cooker because I suspect it would also fail to work on my induction hob.

Disappointed with the size of the TSV, a pressure cooker is huge, but you can still use it half full. The TSV is too small to batch cook meals to freeze.

Jude xx

I think it'd be too small for us too. :down:

Daydreamer, he's just said that because it is not on a direct heat source as a hob-based one is, it takes about 1/3rd longer than a hob pressure cooker, and that you should adjust any hob-based pressure cooker recipes accordingly. Does that fit with your experience now?

:thinking: Sorry, was just stating that this is not a ~full~ pressure cooker as his times take a lot longer than the odd 1/3rd added on...and his spuds took LESS time..didin't mean to upset anyone. .... and if I lived alone and didn't want to cook more than one days supply of stew or soup I would go for it.

daydreamer

Don't think you've upset anyone, Daydreamer. I was very interested in your comments. From what I've read from what peeps here have said is that a hob-based pressure cooker would be as good, if not better, than this one unless you also needed the slow cooker function or the delayed timer function.

I bought my parents an intellichef costing around 80gbp which is similar but without the pressure cooker function. They are in their late 80s and use it at least 3 times a week. My dad who had to take over most of the cooking especially liked that he could just leave it unattended I think they would have been equally happy with today's special value. Just read reviews on Amazon and it looks like it isn't made anymore and people are buying a jml star chef instead.

Last edited:
It's like a 'not one thing or another' machine and not a real pressure cooker. The rice didn't look fluffy, unless it was due to being left in the machine; the porridge looked all stodgy; the new potatoes took 17 minutes - but you have to add on the minutes to get it up to steam / pressure whatever - might as well do them in a pan. I don't think I am convinced :thinking: and I think the pressure thing would still frighten me.

Was going to buy one, but not when I seen the food it produced. The porridge looked vile.
Not sure about having a pot within a pot? I noticed he spoonded out some food, but left a bit in the the pot.
Did not see him removing a hot pot in the presentation I seen.

Was going to buy one, but not when I seen the food it produced. The porridge looked vile.
Not sure about having a pot within a pot? I noticed he spoonded out some food, but left a bit in the the pot.
Did not see him removing a hot pot in the presentation I seen.

That's exactly what I thought. I was tempted too, but why was he always ladling the food out?

Never once did he mention the inner container, nor lift it out to get at the food easier.

That's exactly what I thought. I was tempted too, but why was he always ladling the food out?

Never once did he mention the inner container, nor lift it out to get at the food easier.

He mentioned that the inner container was non stick and had measurements on the side. It looked a small gap between it and the outer shell. Would not want to put fingers in the gap to get the hot inner pot out.
I could only see him using a spoon or ladle to remove contents, must have lots left in the pot to clean at the end of the day.

I imagine the inner pot comes out like the Philips Intellichef. He probably didn't take it out as there was no surface space to put it on. My parents tend to use a ladle to dish up and then take the inner bowl out after they have eaten and are tiding up. Intellichef were selling spaces bowls so that you could for example take the first bowl out with for example the bolognese sauce and then cook the rice in the 2nd bowl

It's funny, it is not often that demos disincline me to buy, but this has.
I think there must be similar, better looking products out there.
And that rice he has just spooned out looked very stodgy to me
Oh and ha ha... Very runny B and B pudding...it wasn't cooked

Latest posts

Back