Clogau Gold..worth the price?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The range does look lovely, but imo its very overpriced. It's only 9ct gold and even the "rare welsh gold" they rave about is apparently only in tiny amounts.

Yes, it's expensive, I'll admit that but I did purchase the QE Anniversary ring a couple of months ago and it's now my second favourite ring. The workmanship is superb and the diamonds, though quite small are top notch and sparkle like crazy. For a special piece I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. :spider:

I sent the company an e-mail asking the % of rare welsh gold and they were unable to give me an answer try e-mailing them yourselves and asking the same question and see what they say to you. Surely they must know the percentage put into the normal 9ct gold used and be able to tell you properly

gbsusie - yes, I'd be quite interested to know that too, though I suspect 'homeopathic proportions' if truth be known! lol

pieces look really well-made, but far too expensive. even at Ponte Vecchio they sell 18ct for less money.

i would have assumed that the 33% of gold (9ct) is welsh gold. so it is not ever that low %? :doh:

pieces look really well-made, but far too expensive. even at Ponte Vecchio they sell 18ct for less money.

I agree Watersiren, some of the pieces are quite lovely but I don't care if the gold came from the lost ruddy city of Atlantis, I wouldn't pay that for 9ct gold from anywhere!
(Had some beautiful 18ct gold pieces on their website though!)

i would have assumed that the 33% of gold (9ct) is welsh gold. so it is not ever that low %? :doh:

You know, I thought I was reasonably bright but I still haven't managed to quite work this out?
The only mine(s) are in Snowdonia, right & there's just the one & that's now closed? So if it only has a 'touch' of 'rare Welsh gold', where does the rest of the gold come from as their website states it is 'Welsh gold'? Very confusing!

*Ah, google tells me there are actually three current Welsh mines?*

Last edited:
I agree, KWC, about their 18ct gold pieces; wonderful designs, but still too expensive for what they offer. i have paid far less for a diamond band ring with an elaborate celtic claddah design.
I have been told by quite a few people (i tend to talk alot about jewls) that welsh gold is not mined any more, so i can't really work this out either. i haven't done my own research, though.

i was looking on the web under clogau for percentages when an interesting court case from 2002 popped up in the searches - apparently clogau gold had to pay substantial damages to an independent jewelller mr Blayney for ripping of his designs - i would not want to buy if i think its
unethical in any way- sounds like clogau are not as fantastic and honest as they portray them selves on tv -still each to their own i love the internet you can find out all sorts!:bandit:

I bought a few pieces because I loved the designs, they use a good weight of gold and as BC says, the workmanship is superb. However, the main reason why I wouldn't buy any more is that all of my pieces have discoloured over time and I haven't even worn them that much. Very disappointing.

It's funny they don't tell you how much Welsh gold is used. I suspect the gold fairy just sprinkles a little gold dust over each piece!:54:

I think this range is totally over priced. I don't know how they get away with calling it Welsh gold and the fact that they will not tell the actual weight of Welsh gold in the product says it all. I think it is all in the wording of the way they advertise it. They obviously have someone who makes sure they keep within the law but it is all a bit unethical imo. A few years ago a woman rang the studio and asked the Clogau chap why he was selling a bangle on qvc that she had ordered via a magazine ad which stated it was exclusive and made to order. He could not give her an answer and they soon got rid of her.

I agree with all the above. I bought a ring for £50 less than it was advertised on QVC, so there are 'bargains' to be had. Had the same problem though, was'nt sure if the welsh gold was the yellow gold, or the rose gold, but then like everyone else was told it only contained a small amount, and still dont know to this day whether its meant to be the rose gold they are talking about.

I love my clogau ring and was very tempted, and still am, by the tsv. I daren't go online because if my size is still there I won't be able to control my buying finger.

The biggest quantity of gold is normal 9 and 18 ct gold and the the touch of welsh gold is then mixed into the normal 9 and 18ct gold so then they can say it contains rare welsh gold and get away with it. A woman I know is convinced that the rare welsh gold is the relief work on many of the pieces like the tree of life and she will not be swayed that it isn't and the normal gold and rare welsh gold is all mixed up together. I think they should be made to put the percentage of rare welsh gold on the product just like they would be made to if it was food/medicines and other products we buy make up/face cream so we as consumers can make an informed choice properly as to buy or not to buy and think it is good value or not good value for the price or as in make up or face cleanser whether it is good for our skin or not

How can I be sure my Clogau Gold jewellery contains Welsh Gold?

Each piece carries two ‘chop’ marks: the Welsh Dragon stamp and the “CG” of Clogau Gold. These marks are our guarantee that Clogau Welsh Gold has been added to the gold used to make your jewellery. Each piece comes with a Certificate(s) of Authenticity.

This is what I found on the Clogau website just now so hope this helps everyone

I have several Clogau pieces.

I've bought from:
eBay (Ivy Leaf ring for a tenner, seller didn't know what it was)
TKMaxx
second hand jewellers (cat ring £30 - again the shop didn't know it was Clogau)
QVC outlet shop (Queen Elizabeth 3-stone ring for just over £100, fab bargain)

I wouldn't pay full price for Clogau but I do think the quality is good.

(as for the amount of Welsh gold in the jewellery - not a lot probably!)

How can I be sure my Clogau Gold jewellery contains Welsh Gold?
Each piece carries two ‘chop’ marks: the Welsh Dragon stamp and the “CG” of Clogau Gold. These marks are our guarantee that Clogau Welsh Gold has been added to the gold used to make your jewellery. Each piece comes with a Certificate(s) of Authenticity.

Still doesn't give the the remotest hint as to the answer to the 64.000 dollar question of 'Yes but.......how much Welsh gold......?', does it? lol
(Why can't they just come out & say?) :headbang:

Latest posts

Back