Christmas in July TSV 23/07/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes, Christmas 'lunch' doesn't happen as a single, of course there are meals for one, and I know some do try to make an occasion of it, but I find it a bit pointless, and I think last year I had a late breakfast brunch of bacon and egg sandwich after walking the dog ! I just don't let myself think about what's going on in family households across the country on that day.
When I was on my own I actually enjoyed my freedom for a while, and on Christmas day I made myself my favourite meal, a curry (mainly out of a jar or tin).

But I've been "latting" with OH for about 17 years now, after some enjoyable adventures with a few other women, including one with a cabin cruiser.

You've probably heard of the 30,000 feet club, but I joined the zero feet club ;)

I was in our town centre on Weds and Clinton’s had a large poster in their window advertising Christmas Cards 🤬
:poop:

Yes, Christmas 'lunch' doesn't happen as a single, of course there are meals for one, and I know some do try to make an occasion of it, but I find it a bit pointless, and I think last year I had a late breakfast brunch of bacon and egg sandwich after walking the dog ! I just don't let myself think about what's going on in family households across the country on that day.
Have you thought about volunteering at some sort of centre on Xmas day? I really enjoyed it in London.

I might have done in years past, but these days I don't get up non too early, and by the time I've got my head together and walked the dog it can be lunchtime, so I would probably get around to volunteer when everyone had gone home or gone to bed :sleep: :sneaky:

I might have done in years past, but these days I don't get up non too early, and by the time I've got my head together and walked the dog it can be lunchtime, so I would probably get around to volunteer when everyone had gone home or gone to bed :sleep: :sneaky:
No problem! In London there are lots of differing slots - even nights!

Anyone with any unusual skills is great, or if you have none (doubtful) just be general volunteer.

No problem! In London there are lots of differing slots - even nights!

Anyone with any unusual skills is great, or if you have none (doubtful) just be general volunteer.
Of course it's not for everyone...

Of course it's not for everyone...
Sorry to go on....You could do a workshop for making head bands. A theme for a New Years party outfit - 'make a new years head piece' They pay for all the materials....'Christmas crafts with 'Mrs Brissmas'....or something. You are wasted!

I'd love to go back to Crisis, but no longer live in London, so I don't have anywhere to crash - makes it ££££. Also covid prevents, as do family....MEH. Can't escape the visitors twice in a row, but I really wish I could.

Being at home for Christmas is a relatively new thing for me. When my kids were little I didn`t work but as they got older I did and when I finally began working full time it was for the Sally Army and running one of their homeless hostels so it was a 365 day a year job. All of the management worked all of Christmas and the New Year and in the 13 years I worked for them the only Christmas I had at home was the one just after my husband died and I didn`t want to leave my then 16 year old son alone the first christmas after losing his dad. Since retiring and remarrying my Christmas and New Years tend to be fairly quiet. We do see our children and grandchildren who live near enough but last Christmas was a washout so I`m hoping this one will be better. My oldest son was in hospital with covid and very seriously ill, my middle son was shielding due to a lung condition he has and my youngest son who works in a childrens home was working over Christmas and they had staff off ill with covid too. Mr V saw his son for a few hours and 2 of his grandkids but never heard from nor saw his daughter and her 2 girls and that`s over 4 years since she last spoke to him but that`s another tale.

How is your son now, Vienna? I remember his condition was very worrying but hope he’s come through it well.
Thanks for asking Bea. He`s back at work but not back to full fitness but he`s been asked to participate in an NHS research scheme which monitors and follows people who have what`s called long covid. They know so little about the long term effects of this virus so they will learn a lot from it, plus the likes of my son will meet other people who are also suffering long term effects. He`s of particular interest to them because he caught the virus twice and as they now suspect it was 2 different strains, this sheds light on how effective the vaccine would be against various strains seeing as his antibodies from his first bout should have stopped him from catching it the second time.
Thankfully the Army are quite happy for him to take part but he gets annoyed when he can`t do what he used to do and his fitness has suffered. It annoys him even more because he`s never smoked, trained in some form or another every single day by either running or swimming or in the gym, was very careful with his diet and prided himself on looking after himself and this ****** virus has knocked him for six. He`s now been vaccinated so hopefully that will lessen the chance of him catching it again but he still gets breathless when he tries to exert himself. I`ve a feeling his full recovery may be a long way off.

Perhaps his fitness saved him even though he’s not fully recovered. It’s good that he’s now contributing to research and presumably being fully monitored. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Sorry to go on....You could do a workshop for making head bands. A theme for a New Years party outfit - 'make a new years head piece' They pay for all the materials....'Christmas crafts with 'Mrs Brissmas'....or something. You are wasted!

I'd love to go back to Crisis, but no longer live in London, so I don't have anywhere to crash - makes it ££££. Also covid prevents, as do family....MEH. Can't escape the visitors twice in a row, but I really wish I could.

I love it !!! clever you ! you've got me there, Bris..... is half my maiden name so that's an ideal Christmas 'handle'. Any of you who has watched the recommended Netflix 'Velvet' will know there is a fictitious designer called Phillipe Ray - and I've secreted that into some of my designs 🤭

I love it !!! clever you ! you've got me there, Bris..... is half my maiden name so that's an ideal Christmas 'handle'. Any of you who has watched the recommended Netflix 'Velvet' will know there is a fictitious designer called Phillipe Ray - and I've secreted that into some of my designs 🤭
Haa! I'm a marketing/advertising grad, so it's always swtched on!

Haa! I'm a marketing/advertising grad, so it's always swtched on!
PS: When festivals are back - you need to tap in to the 'Frisco flowers/boho/hippy theme & perhaps get on etsy. I'd love something with seashells......feel a mermaid theme coming, but that fish has pretty much swam away

Mermaids for little girls was very 'big' in the summer before Covid, and I was awash in the workroom with pearls, iridescent fish tails and sea shells., but if you fancy a grown up version.................... . Flamingos were popular too - that was challenging as a headband theme !!!

The hippy theme can be hard to compete with, when other stallholders with their market stall tat, sell their Chinese cheap versions for £3.

I put my hand up and admit 4 Xmas presents bought so far. I tell them hey you are getting Molton Brown Discovery Sets, and they are happy and wouldn't dream of buying themselves. The other two friends are getting FRESH skincare sets. It's the name of the brand. MB only do the sets twice a year Boxing Day starting and then again in June.

No one buys me expensive, so I have a set price of £25 and under, so that means the sales for good deals.

People know I take money, gift voucher for House of Fraser and wine. Simple

I have been on my own on Xmas for many years, it does not bother me. Make what I want for dinner and watch what I want on TV

Attachments

• Luxform TSV 1.jpg
    Luxform TSV 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Luxform TSV 2.jpg
    Luxform TSV 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Luxform TSV 3.jpg
    Luxform TSV 3.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Luxform TSV 4.jpg
    Luxform TSV 4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Luxform TSV 5.jpg
    Luxform TSV 5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118
Having had 3 daughters and soon to be 5 grandchildren I never get a real break. Family issues can be complex, heartbreaking and jolly hard work. Since my mum died its even harder being the oldest daughter I find a lot of responsibilities fall on me. My dads still super fit bless him at 90 and my brothers and sisters all live very near him so they do all the caring and practical stuff. I am blessed though but sometimes I just want to hide but I can't lol

The TSV looks interesting but I suppose when the darker nights come this might look nice in the garden. Wonder how it will work though. Solar won't be much use as there won't be much sun to power it in the winter and in the summer dark comes too late to see it lit up.

I'll have a look at the demo's. Firefly might be nice.

CC

The TSV looks interesting but I suppose when the darker nights come this might look nice in the garden. Wonder how it will work though. Solar won't be much use as there won't be much sun to power it in the winter and in the summer dark comes too late to see it lit up.

I'll have a look at the demo's. Firefly might be nice.

CC
battery powered if its like previous ones cause there is no solar panel on it

I sometimes buy gifts early but to be honest I like the whole run up to Christmas from the start of December. I like picking out my cards and wrapping paper and deciding what to buy people, decorating the house and reading Delia's countdown to Christmas. It's not the same in Summer.

CC
I'm different I like to get everything done before the beginning of December. I cannot bear to be around lots of people,even more so now, as we have rarely been anywhere this last 16 months. I did everything online last year and will do that again but not from QVC. I got all the girls gift sets from Vallente and they were all delighted with them.It's surprising when you search what you can get for a reasonable price. I discovered jewellery from Etsy thanks to one of our members and will be looking at that.

Latest posts

Back