CEW Beauty hour...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think the question is why does several equal 7? I honestly want to know because I've never heard that before, I always thought several meant a quantity more than one or maybe two but not too many.

I think the question is why does several equal 7? I honestly want to know because I've never heard that before, I always thought several meant a quantity more than one or maybe two but not too many.

me too, why would several decades mena 70 years.

Isn't a decade just a multiple of 10 years so you could have a decade= 10 years, two decards = 20 years, 3 decades= 30 years and so on?

Well a decade is 10 years. As far as I know its 10 ten years anyway. The talk about the 60s being a decade, the 70s etc.
So several decades is 70.

How on earth do you work that out? Several is not a synonym for seven!

Yeah, several to me has always meant more than one or two, so I would have said it would be more like 40 odd years than 70 thats for sure.

I always go on - couple = 2, a few = 3, several = 4 or more.

I did a quick search and it says.

Several; several days or weeks. The cheque will arrive in several days was an example given.

Also more than 3 or 4.

I took several to mean seven. If AY had said decades and left it at that perhaps less confusion on my part for a start.

I did a quick search and it says.

Several; several days or weeks. The cheque will arrive in several days was an example given.

Also more than 3 or 4.

I took several to mean seven. If AY had said decades and left it at that perhaps less confusion on my part for a start.

I'm having mesage editing issues so probably repeating myself :)

I'm sure a decade just a multiple of 10 years so you could have a decade= 10 years, two decards = 20 years, 3 decades= 30 years and so on?

I would say several just means a number of but could mean any number you have a few which tends go be more than three, a couple tends to be two but I think other than that several could be used to explain any number really.

The Milk bath I'm sure has been around since 1991 so Ali is stretching it with her decades malarkey thing that she uses all the time, its probably just about 20 years old this year or last so hardly several decades and a couple at most :)

honestly she does it with all sorts of things, Gatineau is more than a half of a century old, she has been in the beauty industry for over a quarter of a century maybe she thinks it sounds more impressive!? it doesn't really.

She does it with things like a bottle of shower gel too - 250mls is a QUARTER OF A LITRE - wowee so that's 250mls then!

If someone said to me several I would think it would be at least 5 or 6 of whatever. I can't think several would be anything less that that as you would use a' few' instead.

Who knew that a throwaway comment from Ms Young could cause such an argument over semantics!

Personally, "several" or "a few"... all means the same to me. Seems some people think it alludes to a bigger number than others, but there you go...

Can see why donna went down the 'several' = seven route - since both words share the first four letters: the suggestion is there. In my mind a couple is 2, a few is no less than three, and several is... more (lol!) and for the aforemantioned reason, why not seven?!

Latest posts

Back