Birkenstock sizing question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

craftology

Registered Shopper
I have some Birkenstocks which were all bought at the German outlet, and they clearly say Size 42 - 8 .

Now, the one time I bought a pair of Birkies from QVC I ordered a size 8 (almost always EU size 42) and received a size 41, no way were my feet going to fit in. I did get a return label as they said it's their fault, but what I'm wondering is, are they always sending out size 41s when you order a size 8 or was that a slip-up?

I have two pairs of size 7 Birkis and they say size 40 on them so from that I would have said a size 8 would a 41. That said usually in other places like Next, M&S etc......a size 7 is 41 and size 8 a 42 so it does make it all rather confusing and difficult to know what to order.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't help perhaps someone else will come along soon who can for you.
Failing that I don't know if it would be any help in adding your question to Debbie Flint's blog.
She's always mentioning she's a size 8 in Birkenstocks but commenting on certain ones she could order the size 7, so she must know what does in fact arrive.

Thanks for that bags, sounds like a good idea! Though from what Sazza says it sounds as if they're ignoring what's actually printed on the shoe (42 = 8) and sending them out one size smaller.

Thanks for that bags, sounds like a good idea! Though from what Sazza says it sounds as if they're ignoring what's actually printed on the shoe (42 = 8) and sending them out one size smaller.

Your welcome, I don't know if you saw today's 12m/d show with Debbie but if you didn't it maybe worth checking the video's just see which ones she advised were coming up that big larger.
She's the only presenter who I've seen that comments so closely on size/fitting and requiring the larger size, she could be helpful to yourself.

The problem is that continental sizes don't actually go up in the same increments as UK sizes...so where you go from size 6 to 7 (equals one) going from 39 to 40 isn't necessarily going up by the same amount.

Size 38 is around a 5
39 is nearly a 6
40 is about a 6 and 3/4
41 is about 7 1/2
42 is around 8 I think

Because of this, it depends if someone is rounding up or down when quoting a size.

And men's continental are slightly different to women's.

http://www.internationalshoesizes.com/

Lottie, I've noticed that it is really inconsistent here which is one reason I have come to hate buying shoes since moving to the UK. Since Birkenstock classify their size 42 as an 8 it's really misleading of QVC to ignore that and sell size 41s as a size 8, though.

Oh, well, they're not *that* comfy anyway.

I don't want to gum up the works but I'm a 7 in every shoe shop but in Birkies I've discovered that a 7 is too big! I've only tried the single strap style but in the three different ones I've tried then I need to go down a size. Is it the Menorca??

Anyway don't know if that helps or hinders. I don't have wide feet or a high instep. Just normal feet.

Lottie, I've noticed that it is really inconsistent here which is one reason I have come to hate buying shoes since moving to the UK. Since Birkenstock classify their size 42 as an 8 it's really misleading of QVC to ignore that and sell size 41s as a size 8, though.

Oh, well, they're not *that* comfy anyway.

I wouldn't say it's inconsistencies here that's the problem.
We've grown up with our own sizing, which went up evenly. It's the continental sizes which don't fit...

I've just looked at Sazza's link and if you look at the continental sizes in mm, sometimes there are 5mm between a size, and sometimes 10mm. It's ridiculous! Therein lies the inconsistency. Bring back good old fashioned British sizes and half sizes, then we'd all know where we are.

I'm from Germany. If I buy a German brand in a size that fits when I buy it in Germany, especially if the equivalent UK size is printed ON the shoe, I expect it to fit in the UK as well.

I think we're making two different arguments.

I'm from Germany. If I buy a German brand in a size that fits when I buy it in Germany, especially if the equivalent UK size is printed ON the shoe, I expect it to fit in the UK as well.

I think we're making two different arguments.

The problem is, as I've said, is the sizes are not equivalent as the measuring systems used are different. The UK and US sizes are based on Barleycorns (1/6 of an inch - so imperial). For most of my life I was a 5 1/2. There is no European equivalent for that size. British sizes are more accurate as each size went up approx 2 mm if you include half sizes. Euro sizes are 5mm and upward which is prob why the shoes never seem to fit.

The inconsistency I'm referring to is in Birkenstock's interpretation of the British sizes and the mm measurement. It's plain wrong.

The easiest way to see the size equivalent is using this diagram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shoesize-adult-en.svg

Anyone who's a size 7 does not have an exact Euro equivalent either - have a look at the chart in my link. You're nearly a size 41, but 41 is bigger than a 7 which is why it doesn't always do the job when clobbered with a UK size 7 label.

Last edited:
I had the opposite problem I ordered a 3 and they sent a 3 1/2 which were too big, I don't remember what the European size was on them but they had to go back and not ordered any more

The first link says a EU36 is a UK 4, which is wrong. I wear a 3 and is is actually a 35 1/2 and a 36 which most shops class as a 3 those should be a 3 1/2.

Now I am going to throw something else into the mix. Crocs depending on where made can come up smaller or larger. Seems the ones made in Europe and the US are wide and larger fitting. The ones made in China(not fake up offical) are much smaller in width and size.

I can't buy Birkis from QVC because they send out 41 as an 8. It would be really helpful if QVC gave the European size, because I can wear an 8 if it's a 42, but not if it's a 41. I'm really hesitant about shoes from QVC for this reason. Don't want to waste the postage.

I don't want to gum up the works but I'm a 7 in every shoe shop but in Birkies I've discovered that a 7 is too big! I've only tried the single strap style but in the three different ones I've tried then I need to go down a size. Is it the Menorca??

Anyway don't know if that helps or hinders. I don't have wide feet or a high instep. Just normal feet.

I'm with you on this Tinkerbelle, I take a 7 in other shoes but order a 6 (39) in Birkenstocks and my feet are quite wide. I like madrid or menorca but have just bought turin (the new toe post style) and really like them!

Just to add further confusion (I'm helpful like that), I find that different styles fit differently too.

For example, for an Arizona or Gizeh my best fit is a 37 but in a Tabora it's 38. All Regular fit. My UK shoe size is normally around a 5 but I go up to a 6 for walking boots.

I usually take a size 6 in regular shoes but a 38, size 5, in Birkenstocks. Also I have wide feet, so I go for the footbed with the footprint bit (next to the size on the sole) thats just the outline of a foot, as i believe that the filled in footprint is the narrow footbed. Hope that bit makes sense! :thinking:

Latest posts

Back