Best of British?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
You've got to be joking! It's a pretty sad reflection on the Great ol' UK if this is all they could scrape together. And looking at the Guiness woman on now, Rip Off Britain would be more like it.

Honestly, QVC must have access to a greater range of British based products than the small handful that's been scheduled for the day. Also, I wonder how much of this stuff is made in the far east? Not that there's anything wrong with that but I bet a Made in Britain day would have even less! They must source from the same factories as Primark and The Factory Shop and just make markups into the thousands of percent.

£400 for a basic patent handbag that looks like plastic and isn't obviously from a "designer". I just don't get it *facepalm*

You've got to be joking! It's a pretty sad reflection on the Great ol' UK if this is all they could scrape together. And looking at the Guiness woman on now, Rip Off Britain would be more like it.

Honestly, QVC must have access to a greater range of British based products than the small handful that's been scheduled for the day. Also, I wonder how much of this stuff is made in the far east? Not that there's anything wrong with that but I bet a Made in Britain day would have even less! They must source from the same factories as Primark and The Factory Shop and just make markups into the thousands of percent.

£400 for a basic patent handbag that looks like plastic and isn't obviously from a "designer". I just don't get it *facepalm*

I think what you buy is the brand name and the expectation of that brand. Its the same as Heinz Beans or Fairy Liquid. They may not be the cheapest but you KNOW what you're getting. Go back 10 years and no one would have heard of or bought an LG TV although they made for other companies like Sony, but becuse no one knew the name, no one knew the expectation of the product. Most people are happy to buy LG (made in Korea) now.

I think what you buy is the brand name and the expectation of that brand. Its the same as Heinz Beans or Fairy Liquid. They may not be the cheapest but you KNOW what you're getting. Go back 10 years and no one would have heard of or bought an LG TV although they made for other companies like Sony, but becuse no one knew the name, no one knew the expectation of the product. Most people are happy to buy LG (made in Korea) now.

I think you're right, you pay for the name. Personally I wouldn't touch Fairy Liquid with a barge pole as it always starts off my eczema..! I'm a recent convert to shopping at Aldi, where things are much cheaper because a lot of their stock aren't the brands you know, but what I've tried has been perfectly ok - and even my brand-conscious daughter admits that their biscuits are brill! But if you want well-known brand names, you've got to pay for them. Not that I would in a million years buy a Lulu Guinness handbag! The most I paid for one was £110 for a Radley that was my 60th birthday present to myself..my OH still thinks it was "about £50"...!

The LG bags which are whacky - shaped like a fish, or a house, with lots of embroidery are covetable because they are unusual and instantly recognisible as LG. I have a couple. However, there is no way I would purchase a fairly plain plastic handbag like the TSV, which could have come straight off an M&S shelf.

I agree, very poor pickings!! I have been a Dyson user for several years. I was watching AH with the Dyson chap demonstrating the DC24. I checked the item number and I ordered the same machine back in October last year for £223. I sent it back unfortunately as it was too small for my needs. I could not believe how much they have hiked up the price to £279. I think QVC are hiking up the price as Dyson is a popular brand.

Latest posts

Back