Bare Escentuals vs Laura Geller

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

amn

Registered Shopper
Which do you prefer........
Mainly for foundation and bronzer - I've tried the BE foundation and found it ok, but have never tried any LG, and I'm on the lookout for a nice bronzer - anyone tried either the BE faux tan or the LG bronze and brighten and which is your preference. Ive also seen a Lily Lolo one that looks ok but have never tried any of their stuff before.
Any suggestions?
Over to you.
:wave:

I am probably going to be very little help but here goes.....

I prefer LG balance and Brighten in the light shade (but am going to get the new porcelain one when it comes as it is a bit dark for me) and I have started using the Bronze and Brighten in the light shade. It gives just enough colour for me. For foundation I also use Halo by Smashbox in Fair. I find the BE foundation quite hard to get right as I really prefer a more matt look.

My sister, on the other hand, who is a blond with medium toned skin who likes a tan uses swears by BE foundation and their fake tan products. She has a lot of problems with skin allergies and has very dry skin but has no trouble with BE.

I prefer BE never really wore foundation till I tried it, now I love it !!

i have never used BE but i love LG products. i love the balance and brighten, i can use all 3 shades. light or reg. in the winter and the new tan colour is great for the sunkissed look. the bronze and brighten is great when you have a hint of colour and more. even better it isnt orange or too sparkly on me

I do agree that BE seems expensive. They bang on about all the full size products in the kits but they look tiny to me. I expect they go a long way, but even so. Laura's B n B on the other hand is fantastic value. It just goes on and on, and no waste either. From what I've read, BE is shinier than LG. I like the gentle glow from B n B. I use it with a dense kabuki brush and can build up quite good coverage. My only moan is that I do eventually start to shine a bit. I think I probably need some sort of finishing powder and bought a trial size of mineral veil to see if it would do the trick but didn't notice any difference at all. I tried it under and over the B n B. If I really want my make up to stay put then I get best results with Stacey's yellow powder but I have to ration that these days. Any anti shine tips appreciated.

I'm finding BE kits on QVC are v expensive for the sizes of products and have just seen on Lee Etheridge's FB page that the "full-sized" mineral veil in today's TSV is actually a medium-sized mineral veil. I've noticed the porkies becoming more obvious especially from AY about the sizes in BE kits.

A lot of the quality of the finish from mineral or powder foundation comes from the brush you use. The best brushes I've found are those from Ecotools - I use their bronzer brush for foundation, it's beautifully soft on sensitive skin and gives a lovely finish no matter which product I'm using. I'm also happy to use ecologically and animal friendly tools of such excellent quality, at such a reasonable price.

When you include the P&P my local salon sells BE for the same or less than QVC. I think the TSVs generally give a good deal though.

Last edited:
I'd like to throw Smashbox Halo (I use light) into your pot for consideration. It's my favourite of the mineral foundations and it gives my a lovely glowey look - and the #19 brush it comes with is pretty good too.

I quite like BE (light) for summer use because of the addition of the spf, but cannot get on with LG - neither the light nor the normal suit my skin and make me look powdery. That said I do love LG blushes and her Ethereal Rose.

For bronzer I don't mind either BE or Smashbox, but prefer Bobbi Brown or Trish McEvoy.

I'd also like to add that Valerie Beverly Hills kabuki brush is tops.

I do agree that BE seems expensive. They bang on about all the full size products in the kits but they look tiny to me. I expect they go a long way, but even so. Laura's B n B on the other hand is fantastic value. It just goes on and on, and no waste either. From what I've read, BE is shinier than LG. I like the gentle glow from B n B. I use it with a dense kabuki brush and can build up quite good coverage. My only moan is that I do eventually start to shine a bit. I think I probably need some sort of finishing powder and bought a trial size of mineral veil to see if it would do the trick but didn't notice any difference at all. I tried it under and over the B n B. If I really want my make up to stay put then I get best results with Stacey's yellow powder but I have to ration that these days. Any anti shine tips appreciated.

I use LG's Welcome Matt.Very good

I've tried both BM and LG; I find Laura's foundation easier to use and looks more real; but being honest; a part of my problem with Bare Minerals was that I didn't get that I could use 1 part of it with any other make-up regime, and I don't remember not mixing make-up brands

T Le Clerc does a lovely yellow powder called Banane, it's the only one I've found similar to the MP one and it gives a lovely finish. It's not easy to find in stores but I'm pretty sure you can get it online at the Garden Pharmacy. I've had mine for years (using it alternatively with Mineral veil) and it's never ending!

Also LG Welcome Matte which I carry around during the day, truly awesome!

Last edited:
I invested in a BE starter kit but just could not get on with the foundation. I tried for months to apply it thinly and evenly but it always sticks to and highlights the pores on my nose without covering it's redness - makes my nose look like a large ripe strawberry with loads of pips. IYKWIM. I must admit that I like the no-foundation look so perhaps I'm being unrealistic.

I don't use bronzer as I'm pale and I struggle to even find a blusher that will give me just a "wash" of colour.

I love the LG BnB in light for summer but for winter it shows a demarcation line on the jaw as my neck is very fair. Looking forward to trying the porcelain shade. I get only a light cover which is all I want/need, so I've no idea how heavier cover would look.

A bit of a tangent - my best all-time cosmetic is the Models Prefer yellow powder. I've got one small compact left which I eek out every day with a concealer brush, just a dab on my nose and couple of thread veins. I've never found anything half as good.

Another vote for T.LeClerc Banane powder, it has no talc so does not go into any lines. I even have the compact version and its so fine perhaps the way it is milled. The Models Prefer is much heavier in texture. T.LeClerc have their own UK website.

I prefer LG for both- doesn't get in my nooks and crannies as much as BE, which also goes clumpy on me, forms in little balls in my lines, strange but true!!!LG doesn't.
Smashbox bronzer and halo is also good but much dearer.
Mollymoo

laura for speed & BE for going out BUT yes i agree messy & much more pennies to spend for a not as lasting as they would have us believe

Rimmel Stay Matte is not bad and cheap to try, sold in Boots and Superdrug
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4380764.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:4380764|cat:health+and+personal+care+%2F+make+up+and+cosmetics+%2F+foundation+and+concealers+%2F

Last edited:
Sleek ONE Finishing Powder is rather fab - it has a cooling effect as it contains a lot of water and goes on very smoothly for me. These days, tinted moisturizer & some of that is my go-to daytime look (though I bought the Laura Gellar Barely There in the 2nd lightest option and it is very yellow and quite dark, not so sure about that look - maybe after my holidays?).

I've tried both but prefer BE for a colour match to my skin (med beige) and love the primer which I have to use as still have a greasy skin in my 40's -grr. If I have a tan LG is great. Love BE Mineral veil etc and also spot coverage (summer bisque) - I don't find any probs putting it on and find that my LE C&P takes off loads at the end of the day

Latest posts

Back