Bare Escentuals Foundation Beware!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We all have sensitivities to all different things. I have absolutely no problems with Bare Minerals but just say the word Clinique to me and I go running to the sink to scrub my face!

The Clinique toner is vile stuff. I had some as a GWP and it totally dried my skin out. I posted about this on another forum and another member posted back that she had seen Clinique staff using it to clean their work surfaces in department stores! x

I had a terrible reaction to Clinique some years ago and the department store actually gave me my money back. I have used Bare Minerals for years and have had no reaction whatsoever!

We must have similar skin, I have had exactly the same happen to me. Clinique gives me the most dreadful acne will never touch it again. Interestingly Estee Lauder doesn't even though it's all the same company. Also can't use Elizabeth Arden, Avon, Rimmell or No. 7.

A beautician once told me that she has seen more people react to Clinique than any other one product and if she has people come in with skin problems and asks what they are using on the skin 7 times out of 10 it was Clinique, when the stopped the skin cleared up.

I have also been using BE for years now with no reaction.

The Clinique toner is vile stuff. I had some as a GWP and it totally dried my skin out. I posted about this on another forum and another member posted back that she had seen Clinique staff using it to clean their work surfaces in department stores! x

Used to use the Clinique clarifying lotion ( that's the vile stuff! ) for years to control my mild acne & hormonal spots until I was told off by a dermatologist.
Far too strong ,she said, and acts like paint stripper on the skin:sad:

Used to use the Clinique clarifying lotion ( that's the vile stuff! ) for years to control my mild acne & hormonal spots until I was told off by a dermatologist.
Far too strong ,she said, and acts like paint stripper on the skin:sad:

Ok confession time. When I posted before I thought I was posting on the BE scandal re: pot size thread. Now I've read all the thread :blush: I realise you are all talking about the ingredients in BE. Well, here's the embarrasing part, even though I flamed the toner I do actually use their Almost Compact Foundation and love it. I had problems finding mineral make up that gave good coverage without feeling heavy and also that matched my skin tone. This one is great on both counts.

Ok confession time. When I posted before I thought I was posting on the BE scandal re: pot size thread. Now I've read all the thread :blush: I realise you are all talking about the ingredients in BE. Well, here's the embarrasing part, even though I flamed the toner I do actually use their Almost Compact Foundation and love it. I had problems finding mineral make up that gave good coverage without feeling heavy and also that matched my skin tone. This one is great on both counts.

I use the Amost Powder compact which is described as 'more than minerals'..is this the one? I find it gives great coverage and so much simpler than loose minerals with all that buffing.

bare escentuals use a lot of different "iron ores" to get the look that people love with mineral makeup...the shiny metalic look.
i like the look as it gets better throughout the day as your skin sweats and mixes with the mineral.
the clinique toner is really good for people with oily skin as it has some fruit acids in it akin to alpha h therefore i can put on the better grade moisturisers otherwise boils and spots..

bare escentuals use a lot of different "iron ores" to get the look that people love with mineral makeup...the shiny metalic look.
i like the look as it gets better throughout the day as your skin sweats and mixes with the mineral.
the clinique toner is really good for people with oily skin as it has some fruit acids in it akin to alpha h therefore i can put on the better grade moisturisers otherwise boils and spots..

Alpha h is the one I use and, although I know it adversely affects some people, it is the only range that has allowed me to stop the antibiotic treatments for my acne and maintain a clear skin:happy:

I use the Amost Powder compact which is described as 'more than minerals'..is this the one? I find it gives great coverage and so much simpler than loose minerals with all that buffing.

Yes, that's the one. I have Neutral Fair colour. x

I have read with interest the many comments on Clinique clarifying lotion, I must admit when I had consulatation Clinique rep used make up remover and that irritated my skin.
I use dove soap seems its the only cleanser/soap I can use on my face at the moment. have tried Elemis sensative cleansing wash - dried my skin out too much. Oh well skin is now feeling the best it has done is some time now so I am a very happy bunny!!!!

If anyone is interested I had used No7 foundation for years seems this might have contributed to my flare ups!!!!

I have to say a HUGE thankyou to Slave for Fashion for starting this extremely useful thread.

I have for many months been really keen to try Bare Escentuals foundation but the only thing stopping me was the price. I was determined to try it one day however.

Then I saw your post. I have Rosacea and going to the Rosacea website, it says that Bismuth Oxychloride is a known irritant to a lot of people with Rosacea. I'm sure I remember AY or the guest presenter saying on one of their shows that it is GOOD for Rosacea?

Anyway, had I not read your post, I would have eventually ordered some Bare Escentuals foundation from QVC and even though I could have returned it, it would have cost me in p & p from them to me and for me to post it back to them.

So thankyou very much for saving me money. :clapping:

By the way, here is a link which, as well as pointing out about Rosacea and Bismuth Oxychloride, it also lists mineral make-up brands that contain and don't contain this irritant.

http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=127

Edit: I have just realised that this is probably not a UK site, will have a further look through later.

Last edited:
I am SO glad you found my thread useful backstreetgirl. Unfortunately for me, I had to pay P&P and returned item by special delivery at a cost of £6.70, just to make sure QVC recieved item to get a speedy refund, but at least I found out about Bisbuth before I used it!!!!

Seems many people who have posted on this thread know about Bismuth oxychloride being in BE.

Very pleased I have saved someone the price of P&P, next time I will try do more research before dipping my toe LOL!!!!!!

I've got the red nose version of rosacea (butterfly pattern, actually) and funnily enough BE didn't prickle my nose*, only my cheeks :dull: I've just bought some Vitamin C serum and that stings my cheeks too, it's as though my skin has thousands of invisible pin-pricks of raw flesh that feel the acid burns (as we all know, vit c = ascorbic acid).

*The strawberry seeds was a great description of the effect of BE on pores :18: :15:

clemenzina

i cant believe they market the product for sensitive skin when its not although i have never had any problems with it this post has made me more wary does anyone know if smashbox is good for sensitive skin cos im tempted to give it a go now there is a counter in the debenhams in the metrocentre. i find clarins skin care is the best for my sensitive spot prone skin its really gentle but does the job

We even wear the same shade! Found BE too yellow as well as irritating :hi:

I switched to Clinique mainly because I wanted to test the shade in the shop. I was fed up of buying different mineral foundations to try and mix the right shade. I had tried the Avon one and Lily Lolo. The Avon one was chalky however the Lily Lolo one was lovely however I was in between shades and thought it would turn out costly to keep buying two pots.

I do seem to have a pinky undertone to my skin colour.

I have heard that you can use Clinique toner as a nail varnish remover

The toner contains acetone. I saw where some had spilled on a window sill in someone's bathroom but they didn't notice. When they did clean it up a few hours later the paint had dissolved.

I switched to Clinique mainly because I wanted to test the shade in the shop. I was fed up of buying different mineral foundations to try and mix the right shade. I had tried the Avon one and Lily Lolo. The Avon one was chalky however the Lily Lolo one was lovely however I was in between shades and thought it would turn out costly to keep buying two pots.

I do seem to have a pinky undertone to my skin colour.

I had the same experience with Lily Lola being between two shades, in fact I always seem to fall between two shades which means all that blending and as you say, expense. Never tried Avon as I have reacted badly in the past to their stuff. Did give Philosophy a go and loved the sponge application but found even the lightest shade too dark.

Goodness me, I thought it was only me that got itchy when I was wearing BE and got a little hot. Mystery solved then!

Latest posts

Back