bamix users please help

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Some time ago I bought a Bamix.

However, I think I was using it all wrong because when I used it in a normal basin, in an attempt to whisk up eggwhite for a meringue, the ingredients just flew everywhere ! I only watched a fraction of the demos on qvc, but it appears this gadget has to be used with a jug or beaker. Is this right ? Because if so, I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on something that's going to end up in the back of the cupboard !!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. - and NO I certainly don't want to make 'magic' ****** mayonnaise, a jar in the fridge suits me fine.

I use my Bamix only in a tall jug or beaker (one came with the Bamix). I use it for frothing coffee/milk, grinding up carrots and other vegs and meat, making "cream" from frozen skimmed milk, making soups, pancake mix/yorkshire puds, puddings that just need whisking up quickly etc. I wouldn't use it to mix cakes - a food mixer/handheld mixer does that for me in a normal basin. I haven't tried making meringues with it, but in any case similar machines don't work in basins and I find with this type of machine the way you have to get air into mixtures works only in tall beakery things because you have to keep pulling the Bamix up through the mixture to incorporate air. Luckily I have 2 tall jugs anyway. The Bamix has its uses but it doesn't replace a food mixer. I didn't buy mine, it was a present.

It might be to do with the angle and depth that you are using it in the basin. I use my Bamix frequently when liquidising soup by plonking it in the actual soup pot. The trick is not to have the blades too close to the surface of the liquid as that will cause spatting.

Hi Brissles - I have a Bamix (I am a sucker for ANY kitchen gadget!) but I am not an expert!!

I got mine direct from Bamix as I live in Switzerland but I am guessing it is the same Swissline. I guess that you got your recipe book in English and not German , lucky you! I went onto YouTube and typed in Bamix video or something like that and got a whole range of tips and tricks. Mainly from Gordon Ramsay but all help to build a picture. Basically, there are 3 blades the a blade (flat and puts in air to things like yorkshires) the b blade that has the holes in it. This is for beating things like the mayonnaise and the c blade is the chopper blade that does all the things like smoothies, chopping up ice (?) things like that.

I don't know that you have to use a beaker. But basically all the YouTube clips seem to suggest that you hold it steady in whatever you are using and then move it gently around. Certainly I have done soup like that in a saucepan and it was good. But hold it down low in the liquid as it pulls stuff downwards so you want the blade at the bottom. I can't help you with the meringues as I would do that in the kitchen aide! It was really useful when I wanted to grate some nutmeg as I always mange to grate my fingers and I just chucked a nutmeg in that white bowl attachment and shook it a bit and hey presto a whole grated nutmeg and no grated fingers.
It's also really easy to clean and store on the work surface. I know it can chop an onion etc but the small ninja is much easier and better for this.

By the way, I am right with you on the Sprungli chocolate - they do some amazing tins over here that are like works of art!

Thanks for all the tips. Yes I did have mine on the worktop - gathering dust, but I've quickly discovered its really a food mixer I need, not a mixing/blending/chopping stick - I have a ninja which pretty well covers all that.

Yes Swiss Pea I was a regular visitor to Zurich, so my weakness was the Sprungli cake shop and oh those Portugese Tarts !!!!!! to die for.

I have to say that my Bamix ended up in the bin!
I wasted too much oil and many eggs trying unsuccessfully to make mayonnaise. It was no good for Yorkshire pudding batter because ithat doesn't need fierce beating anyway. The ninja does a lot more things and is easier to use Inmho
Also, the customer service with Bamix was dreadful! I had to return mine after two weeks due to a loose centre "stick" and they did not replace it, they repaired it! And it was never satisfactory. Then then poor quality stand split and they promised a replacement which I never received. So into to the bin it had to go, an overpriced gadget with all the extra things like the sliceeasy etc. I rank it as my worst purchase ever.

you need a stand mixer to make meringues or a hand held whisk. I have a bamix for soups, blending and making caster sugar from granulated. I use my kenwood nearly everyday my bamix is great for food prep not cakes. tbh I prefer my braun food processor. when this dies I will be forced to use my bamix more.

I gave mine to my daughter. I found it useless for cake making, didn't like the so called cream from skimmed milk and splattered my kitchen walls several times trying to use it in a saucepan. No better than any other stick blender in my opinion and extremely overpriced:(

I would probably agree with that, Mam. I already had another one (before I was given the Bamix), which I bought for less than £30 as a OTO which came with a bigger thing for making breadcrumbs etc than the Bamix so I actually have 2 but I use the Bamix more because it's on the worktop and it does seem to be faster than my other one. I don't think it's worth the extra - my other one does most of what the Bamix does but not absolutely everything. If you're thinking of getting a food mixer, I'm an avid Kenwood girl. I'm onto my second - my first lasted 25 years. Mine's the cheaper model, not as pretty as the Kitchenaid but it does the job perfectly well and the newer ones look a bit better. But that's another story, another argument!

After about 2 years of watching the hyped up demos on IW I finally bought one.

Very disappointing and not much better than OH's £9-99 Tesco blender.

Even the "cream" from skimmed milk only works for very small quantities, done in a narrow beaker, and if it is nearly frozen.

Yes, Strattobuddy, that's how I got mine - by being sucked in during the IW demos. However, now I see with 'open' eyes, that the demos always include, making 'magic' mayo, cream from skimmed milk, putting the stick into a saucepan to make soup, and the granulated to caster sugar trick. - all things I wouldn't need the gadget for, PLUS far too many accessories and interchanging blades for my little brain to cope with !!

I've decided I'm a one-pot girl, - the Ninja does the chopping and blending, and my Kitchenaid does the rest. Sorted !

love my kenwood titanium chef i think it looks lovely and very easy to keep clean no knobs sticking and out stcks to push

Latest posts

Back