Attagirl! Me, that's who!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Snarly

Registered Shopper
I declare ~ I will not purchase any more nail strengtheners ie: OPI|LD|NI etc. in search of the HG (holy grail as MakeUpAlley refer to it) as I am happy with ProStrong. I have given said products away to greedy girlfriends who couldn't wait to get their talons on the freebies! I have decluttered the nail varnishes (looks upward to see halo a la SimonTemplar|TheSaint). Now, to do rest of make-up! Must stop falling for spiel of next le Q and realise, "No, thanks-this works for me." QVC Anonymous (Withdrawal), Snarly Chapter

I agree. I culled my nail polish collection down from 30 to 6 and Ebayed those 24. I am done buying OPI/LD/Nails Inc TSVs. Most of the colours I try once and never wear again. The colour I wear regularly is Essie Allure and if I really fancy a bit of colour then I can buy a little Mavala bottle for £4 to satisfy the craving for a new nail polish. I don't believe these nail hardeners really work. Goodness knows I've tried 'em all and my nails are in no better condition. I just use sweet almond oil now which is fine.

I have resolved not to buy "stuff" or allow myself to be convinced by a presenter that I need more "stuff". I don't watch QVC anymore which really really makes it easier not to fall for the sales hype. I've bought 4 items this year but each one I have thought about first and decided I really want and will use regularly. No more skincare TSVs either for me. Since using Boots No7 Beautiful Skin range and noticing that my skin is still looking good and the night moisturiser is doing its job quite nicely at a fraction of Decleor/Gatineau/Elemis prices, I am no longer convinced that you need to spend a small fortune on expensive skincare to have nice skin. 99% of skincare products are about packaging and hype.

Last March I decided to stop buying any skincare until I had used up every scrap I had ever bought. It was about August before I bought anything thanks to a skincare birthday pressie. And I still haven't bought shower gel, shampoo or conditioner. I learned what I liked and what worked and what flipping well didn't. I will never stockpile again.

I didn't apply that rule to nail varnish though which might explain why I've more now than I've ever had before ... lol. But I have stopped buying polish now as I really do have enough. I think. Maybe.

Hi Flamenco|Tinkerbelle|OffMeTrolley - I did wonder if any others had stories to share!?! I shall take strength from your words and carry on, me lovelies! But anything that sparkles, catches ol' Snarly's eyes!

Me too. I had a huge stock pile and would order all the beauty TSV's although most of it now sits in chests in my wardrobe. I have more nail polishes than is healthy and hardly paint my nails anymore since being out of work for nearly 2 years. I haven't bought since last December. That was the EH Try Me and I also purchased the Philosophy OTO which was amazing value and packed full of bath and body products.

I am trying to carry on my resolve and so far this year haven't been at all tempted.

Me too. I had a huge stock pile and would order all the beauty TSV's although most of it now sits in chests in my wardrobe. I have more nail polishes than is healthy and hardly paint my nails anymore since being out of work for nearly 2 years. I haven't bought since last December. That was the EH Try Me and I also purchased the Philosophy OTO which was amazing value and packed full of bath and body products.

I am trying to carry on my resolve and so far this year haven't been at all tempted.

So glad its not just me that has had ridiculously excessive bottles of OPI etc :mysmilie_493: I have a large plastic storage box full of them & threw a lot out a couple of months back as they had gone nasty. Shared out with my daughters as some had never been opened.

I rarely wear bright colours nowadays except for special occasions or Christmas. I like the more natural french manicure polishes, pale pinks, beiges etc.

I have a massive stockpile of skincare, hair products and nail varnish so much so that Mr OMT had to build me a tall cupboard in our bedroom to store it all! :heart: I know the stuff that works for me so why do I keep on trying new things only to find they don't work as well? :confused:

I take real heart from the comments on this thread and am definately going to try and take a leaf out of all your books ... well, maybe after the next Nails Inc TSV anyway :blush:

Well, OffMeTrolley, that's a good man you have there. I sooooo relate to your comment on 'trying new things only to find they don't work as well' !! Story of my ****** life.

Definitely, just say NO to stockpiling. I've never massively stockpiled, but I find that EVERY SINGLE TIME without fail, if I buy more than one spare, it's a waste of money: it either goes off, or I've moved on to some new 'love'.

I have to say I've bought some right old wallop and have made myself use it. And that's really made me think twice about what I buy and why. Having to use products I don't really like that much, leaves my skin a bit dry or smells weird. I am sure at some point I'll be tempted by goodies but since I've allowed myself to buy new products I've only bought what I need and what I know I already like. I've shunned skincare TSVs unless I will use every item in the kit or the cost of the items come to more than the TSV. And if I do buy then I have to sell or giveaway anything I don't want/use.

Will my willpower hold? I dunno but I've got through a year without weakening. Yet. :eek:)

... mind you, I have properly - like big time properly - stockpiled some l'occitane soap, but that's definitely ok because nothing will ever be better than those for me!

Keep up the good work Tinkerbelle!

Hands up anyone who's ended up with the most pampered feet ever due to using expensive face cream on them just to get rid of it. :thinking:

Hands up anyone who's ended up with the most pampered feet ever due to using expensive face cream on them just to get rid of it. :thinking:

Well, it's legs with me. I'm very circumspect as to what I will use on my face now. Youngest bought me a Hope & Glory box of treats for Christmas. Rather than upset her, I use it & the skin on my legs is to die for.
I had a huge clear out at the end of last year. What I could not pass on I binned. I'm now left with two cleansers, a bottle of extra virgin Olive Oil and acres of space on the bathroom windowsill.

Both hands up! Instead of sending them back,due to losing more money on postage, I kept them, and they end up on my feet and elbows:doh:

Actually I had so much bliddy footcream of one sort or another using facecream would have been like coals to Newcastle! I had loads of:

Shampoo
Conditioner
Body lotion
Shower gel
Foot cream
Face masks, treatments and serums.

It really was an eye opener. The money I had sitting there in unused wallop was shameful. But I used it all and I learnt a lot along the way. I still buy some expensive products, PCMC for one, but I don't buy loads of other things by Elemis just to try them. I still love the milk bath as a body lotion but hand on heart it is no better than l'Oreal's £2.99 one. So I don't buy Elemis milk bath any more. I put it on my Christmas and birthday list hoping to get it as a treat now.

Oh and handcream! One woman should never have so much handcream.

Latest posts

Back