As a result of seeing it on QVC - - - - >

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
> - - - - and after years of thinking about it, I have finally ordered an ipad.

But I am still not sure if I've done the right thing, as opposed to getting an Android tablet.

I didn't get it from Q (too expensive) but still have 28 days to play with it.

One of the reasons for choosing an ipad is the good cameras front and back, but it has suddenly struck me that, having taken pics and videos, I can't get them off the ipad, or show them on TV, so what is the point of having the cameras?

I would appreciate as many pros and cons as you can think of, from ipad and Android owners, to help me decide whether to keep it when it arrives.

Thanks

But I am still not sure if I've done the right thing, as opposed to getting an Android tablet.

One of the reasons for choosing an ipad is the good cameras front and back, but it has suddenly struck me that, having taken pics and videos, I can't get them off the ipad, or show them on TV, so what is the point of having the cameras?

I would appreciate as many pros and cons as you can think of, from ipad and Android owners, to help me decide whether to keep it when it arrives.

Thanks

I dont have a tablet sorry but im glad uve finally got one, hope it works out well for you:happy:

Thanks

The ipad should come with a 'usb lead' which you can connect to your pc (any type) . Your pc will recognise it as 'hardware detected' etc. Then you can transfer to or from your ipad/pc. Hope that helps. Assuming you do have a pc :(

Last edited:
I have an I pad and I love it the only thing I've missed now and again is the flash player. My OH has a mini ipad and an android pad and he uses the mini far more than the android pad. Mine is the iPad 2 and I dont think the camera is very good I get better photos on my IPhone but I guess this has been improved on the 3 version. I hope this helps in some small way but I think you can make the decision easier by trying it.

The big thing for me is that every app in the iTunes store is tested first for viruses etc, Androids' aren't. The Apple app may be crap or not work but it won't have a virus.

The iPad isn't perfect but, in my eyes, closer to perfection than any other tablet I have seen, but you do have to pay for it.

I think the best place to go is somewhere like Carphone Warehouse where you can play with them for a few minutes and ask the staff questions.

We got the Archos 70 250gb around 2 years ago and it was OK but we now have an ipad mini each and they are infinitely better. The operating system is far more stable and the apps more reliable.

There are books and magazines that are designed to introduce you to the ipad - I bought one and it was really useful.

Also, you can book into an Apple store for lessons on how to do things or book a one-to-one with an advisor who will be able to talk you through how to move / store video and photos etc.

I have found the staff instore to be really helpful - have you got a store local to you?

I agree, I must be one of the most technophobic people on the planet, but I do love my i pad, and think they are worth every penny, I got mine in the apple store, and the staff were brilliant, I know they should be as they are trying to sell you a product but that is not always the way. It is so easy to use and so reliable, I don't know why I took so long to get one. X

Forgot to add...

I can recommend this case - slightly bulkier that some - but it gives really good protection as it has an integral screen protector as well as the rubberised surround and it helps with gripping the edges for people like me with arthritis:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004SPVZKW/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Just make sure you order the one for your particular model of ipad.

Hi Stratobuddy, when you receive your ipad, take it along to your nearest Apple store and visit one of the Geniuses at the Genius Bar and have them explain things to you so you get the best from your ipad, bring a list of questions you may have, those guys are fab and helped me loads when I got my iphone 4s last year. My hubby has an Android Tablet and an ipad and while he likes both, in his opinion the ipad is way better.

*sorry folks above who put similar posts, I didnt see your comments til after I'd posted

I have an I pad and I love it the only thing I've missed now and again is the flash player. My OH has a mini ipad and an android pad and he uses the mini far more than the android pad. Mine is the iPad 2 and I dont think the camera is very good I get better photos on my IPhone but I guess this has been improved on the 3 version. I hope this helps in some small way but I think you can make the decision easier by trying it.
I have a Nexus 7 Android tablet with the latest software and flash is not included.
I think that the iPad is probably the best but my Nexus 7 is considerably cheaper than the iPad mini and I'm very very happy with it.
Strato, another way to get photos off your tablet or phone is to email them to yourself and then open the email on a laptop. This only applies if you want one or 2 photos. Also the Nexus can be turned into having a front facing camera by buying a cheap app from Play store.

I have it in my hands now and am typing this!

Finding it more difficult than I thought.

Downloaded the user guide, but it keeps disappearing, don't know how to save it (PDF) so I have to keep downloading it and I have a low limit.

An apple store opened here only 6 days ago!!!

Don't know how to highlight text, can it be done?

PS had to use PC to edit all the typos!

Last edited:
Recommend two things. HDMI cable do you can plug into TV and see pics and videos and a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. You can get cheaper but I love mine and it doubles as a hard case :)

If you want to highlight text you touch and hold the screen then you can make the area bigger or smaller. To save a PDF download the free Kindle app then open PDF then press top right open in Kindle.

PJ

Last edited:
Not into ipads or tablets i cant get into them but if i could afford it i would have an apple i mac ,i hope you enjoy your i pad though.

I have it in my hands now and am typing this!

Finding it more difficult than I thought.

Downloaded the user guide, but it keeps disappearing, don't know how to save it (PDF) so I have to keep downloading it and I have a low limit.

An apple store opened here only 6 days ago!!!

Don't know how to highlight text, can it be done?

PS had to use PC to edit all the typos!
I have an ipad and a net book. I always take something on holiday with me to download pix. Tried doing it with the ipad, got the little white connectors and all. I downloaded my pix ok, and can play games on the ipad ok, but overall when push comes to shove I am taking the netbook with me this time. To me ipads are more big boys toys, not work horses. I never really got a decent apps for spreadsheets. Highlighting text is very hit and miss for me. I have full anti virus etc on the netbook ,which I know isn't 100%, but I find it easier to use. OH has ipad 2 and he loves it,along with his galaxy s3...,both big boys toys.
whatever you decide play around with the ipad first, see what apps you want.
On the plus side an ipad is much easier to take out with you than an ipad.

There's an ipad browser called Puffin which supports Flash. The free version allows you to "road test" it for a while before you buy (sorry, can't remember, but it might be a couple of weeks), and it's not expensive to buy the full version.

I know you have a Lidl near you so keep an eye out for a repeat weekly offer of an ipad case with blue tooth keyboard, it makes typing soooooo much easier. I bought one about a month ago and it's excellent quality for the £29.99 price. They tend to repeat offers eventually but if you can't wait they also have offers on Groupon and wowcher for similar keypad/cases fairly regularly (though I can't vouch for the quality). Even Mr Akimbo was impressed with the feel of the keyboard (I told him it was from Lidl afterwards!).

Jude xx

The big thing for me is that every app in the iTunes store is tested first for viruses etc, Androids' aren't. The Apple app may be crap or not work but it won't have a virus.

That's not true at all.

All apps from the Google Play store will have seen tested by Google. Do yu really think a company the size of Google would take such a risk as to not check the apps?

That's not true at all.

All apps from the Google Play store will have seen tested by Google. Do yu really think a company the size of Google would take such a risk as to not check the apps?

It is true I am affraid to say, Google have been caught many a time with rogue apps that are clones of real games like Angry Birds that then dial out premium numbers without the telephone user aware. They are changing the rules soon to try and combat this but it still happens. More info see here
http://www.welivesecurity.com/2013/...iding-android-malware-in-apps-on-google-play/

For the record only on app has ever been found too be like this on the iPhone App Store and that wasn't really nasty the dev did it just to proof it could be done.

Here is another article on it http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323699704578328441621110104.html

But they still only take these apps down after they have been on their App Store rather than not approving the n the first place

PJ

Latest posts

Back