Another one off sick

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Apparently JR is now off sick. is it my imagination or since they moved has there been a bit increase in sickies. Genuine or duvet days??

I don't think they'd lie. They know someone has to stand in for them. Its the same in our work , when you phone in sick you
know someone is going to get landed with your shifts and theirs, so i'd say they wouldn't do it to their fellow workers IMO

There is a nasty flu bug going around... my husband had it last week and it took him out for a couple of days and he's normally as strong as an ox. I've got it now and feel like death warmed up.

There is a nasty flu bug going around... my husband had it last week and it took him out for a couple of days and he's normally as strong as an ox. I've got it now and feel like death warmed up.

That is why i have a flu jab at my local sainsbury's - £7.99 well spent :)
Get well soon.

My husband had it early in the week & has kindly passed it on to me, feeling dreadful ::sad:
And we've both had the flu jab.

I think the building has been cursed before they moved in. A witch doctor went round shaking a voodoo doll, perhaps the owners of the building they left to move here.:giggle:

There are many bugs that mimic flu, so the jab wouldn't work on them, but with the real thing you are in bed for a good week and weak as a kitten. I always laugh when sports commentators say a player missed training for a day because they had flu, or 'a touch of the flu'. The flu jab also can't cover every single strain that is doing the rounds in a particular year, but I believe it can help to soften the symptoms if you catch a strain that wasn't included.

I know lots of people across the country who have had a nasty long-lasting Lurgy for weeks (myself included). It seems to affect respiratory system and throat and nose etc and really knocks you out. And then it seems to go and pops back! A friend of mine went to the docs and they told her to just ride it out - after about 8 weeks it subsides! Most of my family and friends have had it, people I know in this town and elsewhere, and apparently several of the cast of Coronation Street were struck down too! It's not serious, but it is spiteful. If you haven't had it, you're lucky. From what some of the presenters have said (and what they've sounded like when they came back to work), they've been afflicted by the same thing.

Do we know that she has flu,or are we guessing?
Whatever is wrong with her, I wish her a speedy recovery.

Sorry Nicky i didn't see your post. I wish you better too.

Last edited:
There are many bugs that mimic flu, so the jab wouldn't work on them, but with the real thing you are in bed for a good week and weak as a kitten. I always laugh when sports commentators say a player missed training for a day because they had flu, or 'a touch of the flu'. The flu jab also can't cover every single strain that is doing the rounds in a particular year, but I believe it can help to soften the symptoms if you catch a strain that wasn't included.

Yes, and this bug is most definitely NOT flu. I've had that four times and agree, it's hideous. My Dad reckons it's the flu when you feel so bad you don't really care about waking up! Obviously, he's exaggerating, but it about sums it up. I have asthma and so am entitled to a flu jab every year, which I always have. But over the past few years there seem to have been a lot of viruses about that are neither true colds or true flu and seem to take everyone an age to shift properly. Probably, it's due to international travel.

Do we know that she has flu,or are we guessing?
Whatever is wrong with her, I wish her a speedy recovery.

Sorry Nicky i didn't see your post. I wish you better too.

Thank you. I'm just getting bored with it now! But, using the eight week rule, I should be free of it by tomorrow (yeah, right …)

As regards Julia, I think she tweeted something about her throat and voice. Bit of a disadvantage if your job is talking!

I've had a coldy, hoarse voice, feeling bit rough thing for over a week now, but working in a hospital you come into contact with
a lot of bugs, and i've had the pnemonia jab and flu jab, as i had a really bad does of a flu in August, and was off work for a
month, so this might have been worse but for the jabs. But my point is everytime you go to the doctor they say its a virus and
you have to just rest and get over it :)

I've had a coldy, hoarse voice, feeling bit rough thing for over a week now, but working in a hospital you come into contact with
a lot of bugs, and i've had the pnemonia jab and flu jab, as i had a really bad does of a flu in August, and was off work for a
month, so this might have been worse but for the jabs. But my point is everytime you go to the doctor they say its a virus and
you have to just rest and get over it :)

Wish you better too Sparkly . These viruses are a pain as you always get the feeling the Dr doesn't really know what's wrong. Meanwhile you feel crap for months.

Hope everyone on here (and at QVC) gets better soon. I was struck down with this a week before Christmas, and Nicky-j you are so right, it seems to go and then strikes back (luckily not as bad as at first). My husband went down with it 4 days after me. He had more problems with his throat and headaches, as well as general flu symptoms, including being very hot one moment and then cold the next. My main problems were on my chest and a vicious cough (so bad I cracked a rib coughing). Neither of us could taste anything, and as for actually eating food, it seemed to be impossible to chew or swallow anything. We spent the whole of Christmas in islolation and our christmas dinner was a milkshake (which we just had the energy to make). By the time we went back to work in the new year, we were just seeming to get back to normal, only to find symptoms returning within a couple of days. And so it kept going. Touch wood, we seem to have finally have driven the whole thing off, having had no symptoms now for a week.

We were struck down by that horrible hacking cough in November. I'm quite convinced we picked it up via the AC on the plane back from India. It lasted weeks and when I'm very tired it comes back.

We were struck down by that horrible hacking cough in November. I'm quite convinced we picked it up via the AC on the plane back from India. It lasted weeks and when I'm very tired it comes back.

That's true Minim I read that you can catch more germs on a plane through AC and as its a confined space too.

That is why i have a flu jab at my local sainsbury's - £7.99 well spent :)
Get well soon.

Thanks...

My husband had it early in the week & has kindly passed it on to me, feeling dreadful ::sad:
And we've both had the flu jab.

I had the 'flu jab back in November because I'm in an 'at risk' group.... still got it though.

It's an odd lurgie - it's just lingering now I'm over the worst... my other half is well into week two of it and he's still got sinus and chest probs.

Latest posts

Back