Alison Young On Friday Night Beauty 29th Jan

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We had a woman on our local Estee Lauder counter who I swore wore one of everything they sold on her face. It was a work of art but not in a good way. I was fascinated by her and she always looked as if she`d painted her face rather than made up her face.

Ali's clearly gone a bit overboard but I think if she applied less and blended a lot more it'd be fine. I think the colour actually suits her, it's just applied badly. I'd wear that colour too, although I've got dark hair and am not as fair skinned as Ali so I can take strong colours a little easier. Although she's not in the first flush of youth I don't think she looks of an age where colour looks bad on her. Don't know if there is any sort of specific age, just depends on the individual. I know a lot of posters think Ali looks old for her age but I really don't. Her eyes are a problem area but the rest of her face looks fine to me. She seems to have fun with trying different looks, and good luck to her. Sometimes she gets it rather wrong, and the tin man highlighter really isn't good, but so be it. There's a lot worse you can do than look a bit daft.

I've said this before and I will say it again. It's those studio lights that accentuate the shimmer in her make up. She may think she looks ok in her dressing room, but once those lights hit her face, woe betide.

Teal is a good colour on blondes, but not in thick eyeshadow! She would have been better off with a teal eyeliner and maybe going for a teal item of clothing.

Ally always looks better when Mally has done her make up. Mally is excellent with colour and theatrical/stage make up.

That teal applied as a soft wash she could have got away with maybe.

I am blond(hey more silver now but use colour natural blond), my skin tone I stay away from teal in clothing it washes me out. I suit soft greens even emerald, but never wear green eyeshadow I just don't like it on myself.

it takes a deft hand and eye to apply such a strong colour and patience and skill. alison is always busy i suspect and just did a fast application.

She looked very overdone, putting it mildly. Speaking personally, I can't remember seeing one salesperson behind a make-up counter for many years who I thought looked really good wearing the products they were flogging: most of the time they look overdone and a bit grotesque, IMO. We know the claims these presenters make for their previous experience are often grossly exaggerated - one year behind a make-up counter does not equal qualified make up artist, nor does thinking you are a beauty therapist make you one. If challenged as to their qualifications, would they be able to produce any credible ones or any genuine experience in the field that carries any prestige? It's a bit like ex-Bid's Peter Sherlock, who seemed to equate moving around between different short-term ventures as giving him the credibility to speak with authority on any beauty/fragrance subject. It doesn't.
I think many women working at make up counters always overdo it, it's as if they try to wear everything they sell in one go :mysmilie_17:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back