Ali Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I Love Chocolate

Registered Shopper
Praise where praise is due. Not usually a fan of Ali's dress sense,but that colour (chartreuse) was everywhere today on the high street.

I call what AY is wear bright citrus yellow. Chartreuse is more green( I know I used to drink the stuff, the original was green charteuse). I actually think she does not suit the colour a softer lemon would have been better. I am seeing loads of coral in the stores(love coral and peach shades).

I don't bother with in-colours any more - a sign of old age ... sigh ... I buy what I like and sometimes it happens to be on trend, sometimes it doesn't. I know when I've got it right when my daughter "borrows" something. Occasionally I'll get it back, too, without a prompt.

I'm a bit of a curmudgeon where colour is concerned. I think (based on observation) that each shade only suits a minority - maybe 25% - of the population. So bright lemon suits 1 in 4 people, and soft butter yellow only suits 1 in 4, and so on.

Following fashion colours basically means that you don't look your best a whopping 3/4 of the time!

Far better to find out what suits (colour analysis) and then buy only the shades that make you look fresh, rested and healthy!

I don't think the colour suits her - too bright and and too 'acidic' a colour. I don't understand why people buy clothes in the 'in' colour if it doesn't suit them, better off buying as an accessory if you want to toe the 'fashionable' line. I suppose Alison must like it and think she looks good in it. I do think her hair was looking good though.

Years ago my sister and her friend went for an afternoon to be colour analysed. The lady doing the session swathed my sis in lengths of different coloured fabrics in front of a large mirror and analysed what the colour did or didn`t do for her. She then gave sis a folder with her colours inside it. The woman also did the same with accessories such as hats, scarves and jewellery because it seems we often choose them badly too. Then she did the same with lip and eye colours.
I think most of us will have clothes or accessories which were mistakes because of being the wrong colour and my sister says she now knows exactly what suits her and what doesn`t so she doesn`t buy the wrong things. This is now all the more important to her because she`s disabled so getting around shops is nigh on impossible, she relies almost 100% on internet shopping and she says she finds it much easier to discount certain colours right from the start and the only reason she tends to have to return something is not because it doesn`t suit her but because the fit isn`t right.

Years ago my sister and her friend went for an afternoon to be colour analysed. The lady doing the session swathed my sis in lengths of different coloured fabrics in front of a large mirror and analysed what the colour did or didn`t do for her. She then gave sis a folder with her colours inside it. The woman also did the same with accessories such as hats, scarves and jewellery because it seems we often choose them badly too. Then she did the same with lip and eye colours.
I think most of us will have clothes or accessories which were mistakes because of being the wrong colour and my sister says she now knows exactly what suits her and what doesn`t so she doesn`t buy the wrong things. This is now all the more important to her because she`s disabled so getting around shops is nigh on impossible, she relies almost 100% on internet shopping and she says she finds it much easier to discount certain colours right from the start and the only reason she tends to have to return something is not because it doesn`t suit her but because the fit isn`t right.

A friend and I got also our colours analysed years ago, aside from being an enjoyable afternoon it was money well spent. Although I always knew certain colours did and didn't suit me and the analysis confirmed that, it helped clarify all the colours in between I'd been unsure of. No more buying 2 colours of the same top because I couldn't decide which one suited - turns out I'd never been able to decide in those situations because in fact neither colour suited.

Finding the right colours is the most difficult part of clothes shopping for me. I'm so fussy that it is no longer enjoyable to go around the shops.
The colour of the season nearly always dominates, and if you don't suit it, hard luck.
Some shades of certain colours have made me look ill when tried on.

I had my colours 'done' about 3 years ago and wish I'd done it yonks ago! Even though I inclined towards my 'best' colours, I also bought those which didn't suit me. Now I have a smaller wardrobe but things go together much better. I can now avoid whole racks of stuff because they are not in my colour range. Sometimes its hard to find things in a particular colour because they're not 'trendy' but there are always the basic colours which never fail. A very enjoyable exercise and money well spent!!

I always thought Alison Y looked nice in soft yellows, pinks and greys, but not in the harsher shades.

I'm not a fan of Alison Young or her dress sense but she looked OK in the yellow dress - much better than the usual tat she wears. Maybe she could take some more advice from Kabler?

Have heard of the analysis - do you get put into a season or something like that? Wouldn't matter to me as I don't do much colour - black, navy, grey for me most of the time - boring!

Does the colour analysis take the time of year into consideration?
I wear my hair plain dark brown in the winter and have a shed load of high lights shot through in the spring/summer. Just this changes the colours i can wear. In the winter with my hair dark and my skin paler need to avoid all yellows and most greens but i can wear dark purple. Alternately the rest of the year i can't go anywhere near any purples but yellows are fine

Does the colour analysis take the time of year into consideration?
I wear my hair plain dark brown in the winter and have a shed load of high lights shot through in the spring/summer. Just this changes the colours i can wear. In the winter with my hair dark and my skin paler need to avoid all yellows and most greens but i can wear dark purple. Alternately the rest of the year i can't go anywhere near any purples but yellows are fine

The colour analysis is based on skin tone, eye and hair colour.

How do you go about getting colours done? I would like to do that.

It was CMB I went to; you can find their consutlants via their website. I'm sure there will be other companies doing it.
http://www.colourmebeautiful.co.uk/colour-consultation

When I went years ago I had to wait about 2 months to get an appointment. I think the session was a couple of hours long, you had to turn up with no makeup - I remember having taken the afternoon off work to go, and slunk out the office head down after I'd removed my makeup! It was good go along with a friend because it helped demonstrate how different our colourings were.

My sis had hers done ( a long time ago ) by someone advertising locally. It wasn`t just colours the lady did, she also did makeup colours and showed my sister and her friend lots of different ways to add scarves, jewellery and accessories. I know she came away with a folder containing swatches of her colours and yes in her case she did have different shades of different colours for each season. It was a full day and even back then it was expensive.

This is something I`ve just found locally but it will give you and idea of costs etc.
http://www.houseofcolour.co.uk/pauladavies/index.php

Latest posts

Back