Alexandrite loose stone now set

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love your new ring Gemcherub - the raspberry pink colour is gorgeous. :love: It would look right at home in one of those exclusive jewellers windows with no price tags on display! Now you have a ring you will enjoy wearing for many years to come. Btw, I just sent back 2 Aqua rings to TJC this morning because I knew I wouldn't wear them!

If you don't mind me asking, did you have a local jeweller set the ring, or did you send it away? The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to buy a setting for a loose gemstone I bought recently and haven't a trusted local jeweller to do the work. Many thanks. M xx

I love your new ring Gemcherub - the raspberry pink colour is gorgeous. :love: It would look right at home in one of those exclusive jewellers windows with no price tags on display! Now you have a ring you will enjoy wearing for many years to come. Btw, I just sent back 2 Aqua rings to TJC this morning because I knew I wouldn't wear them!

If you don't mind me asking, did you have a local jeweller set the ring, or did you send it away? The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to buy a setting for a loose gemstone I bought recently and haven't a trusted local jeweller to do the work. Many thanks. M xx

Hi Oops i have real trouble trusting any jeweller (to many bad experiences) but i will only use outwork i sent a few lower end pieces from gems to them and was very pleased with their work so have stuck with them ever since, as i live near the Birmingham Jewellery quarter i just popped up there they are such nice guys my ring wasn't straight forward and they talked about new heads or claws (i just smiled and looked like i compleaty understood lol) i watched them working away in their workshops and they share a building with Charles and cobalt moissanite so they showed me some rings, i didn't want to leave i was having so much fun! They are great i can't recommend them enough give them a call i'm sure they would be more than pleased to help you http://www.jewelleryservices.com/
O'h and their prices are so low IMHO.
hope that helps x

Hi Oops i have real trouble trusting any jeweller (to many bad experiences) but i will only use outwork i sent a few lower end pieces from gems to them and was very pleased with their work so have stuck with them ever since, as i live near the Birmingham Jewellery quarter i just popped up there they are such nice guys my ring wasn't straight forward and they talked about new heads or claws (i just smiled and looked like i compleaty understood lol) i watched them working away in their workshops and they share a building with Charles and cobalt moissanite so they showed me some rings, i didn't want to leave i was having so much fun! They are great i can't recommend them enough give them a call i'm sure they would be more than pleased to help you http://www.jewelleryservices.com/
O'h and their prices are so low IMHO.
hope that helps x

Thanks so much gemcherub for your advice. I've had bad experiences with local jewellers too. One of them totally ruined a rainbow sapphire ring when resizing it - gggrrrrrr! Apart from taking a course and doing it myself (lol), I was also wondering about the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter as I only live an hour's drive away. I have used Outwork in the past for resizing and have been pleased with the work, so I will definitely have them do the setting for me. Thanks again - you're a star. :hug:

Oh no! How did you manage to lose it? You didn't have a wee visit from Argeylurgy did you?!!

Can't blame this one on Argey, Klos :giggle:

It was my own stoopid fault, I wrapped it in a tissue and put it in my purse to keep it safe :taphead: .... it made sense at the time.

When I looked later in the day it wasn't there! I searched everywhere, went through the bin 3 times, asked in both shops I'd been in and retraced my steps and .... nowt! :sad:

Can't blame this one on Argey, Klos :giggle:

It was my own stoopid fault, I wrapped it in a tissue and put it in my purse to keep it safe :taphead: .... it made sense at the time.

When I looked later in the day it wasn't there! I searched everywhere, went through the bin 3 times, asked in both shops I'd been in and retraced my steps and .... nowt! :sad:

O'h no what a shame so sorry you'll have to treat yourself to a new one x
My moms friends cleaned her wedding, engagement and eternity ring and her right had ruby ring wrapped them in tissue and left them on the side in the bathroom to dry and her daughter tidied up and flushed them all down the toilet!

O'h no what a shame so sorry you'll have to treat yourself to a new one x

I like your thinking! :nod:

My moms friends cleaned her wedding, engagement and eternity ring and her right had ruby ring wrapped them in tissue and left them on the side in the bathroom to dry and her daughter tidied up and flushed them all down the toilet!

Ouch, that made painful reading .... much, much worse than my experience.

A beautiful Alex ring, love the setting AND you still have a gorgeous SM Aqua to play with! Well done, wear it and enjoy,

Inge

Wow, that's gorgeous! Congratulations! What a beauty!

Out of interest, have you tried it under a low-energy lightbulb? Does it still turn pinkish/reddish? I ask because I've got some 'faux' alex (lab-grown sapphire treated to look like alex) which turns a lovely sparkling blood red under 'normal' bulbs or candlelight. However, when I looked at it under a low-energy bulb, it went a sort of champagne colour. Still attractive, but not red. And under an LED light, it stays green.

So I wonder how real alex behaves???

Last edited:
Under my 20w low energy bulb its the same but the colour change isn't as strong, normal bulbs its stronger then under a flame stronger still, i don't have any other types to try lol i heard fluorescent tubes and ultra violet are the best but don't have them lol

Hi Marie, so glad i spotted this thread..your ring is stunningly lovely..i havent seen Alex colour change in real life for ages but your pictures capture it clearly..such a great raspberry pink. The design is elegant and it was interesting to read about who set it for you..do outwork make jewellery to the customers design? So happy for you! H xx

Wow, that's gorgeous! Congratulations! What a beauty!

Out of interest, have you tried it under a low-energy lightbulb? Does it still turn pinkish/reddish? I ask because I've got some 'faux' alex (lab-grown sapphire treated to look like alex) which turns a lovely sparkling blood red under 'normal' bulbs or candlelight. However, when I looked at it under a low-energy bulb, it went a sort of champagne colour. Still attractive, but not red. And under an LED light, it stays green.

So I wonder how real alex behaves???

You can't tell a synthetic Alex from a real Alex by colour change I'm afraid. They tend to change colour in the same way. The only difference is that a synthetic Alex typically has a stronger colour change. So a good rule of thumb (and I know you haven't asked this) is if you've bought an Alex for very little money and it changes colour phenomenally, the chances are it's synthetic OR the seller is stupid!!! :grin:

A real alex will change colour in any artificial lighting. The only lighting that it struggles to change colour in is sometimes seen in jeweller's shops where it's an artificial daylight bulb. In a real Alex if the light is fading outside it'll look dark green but then you walk inside where you may have a light on and the purple/pink should be immediately evident - you shouldn't need candles or any particular type of bulb. It should change under halogens, normal bulbs, low wattage etc etc.

HTH

Latest posts

Back