A different world !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Alexis of L'Occitane selling a small bag with sample sizes for under £20 (4 pence under). As she says, it's ideal for the gift cupboard because what else could you get for £20 ? Half a bouquet of flowers or a couple of bottles of wine !

Let me give you some advice luv - go present shopping in Marks & Spencer and buy a lovely orchid in a pot for £8, a bottle of decent champagne for £15 or a large box of spectacular chocs decorated with edible gold leaf for £15.

Most of the QVC presenters seem to live in a different world, when we hear what they suggest for teacher gifts and stocking fillers. I would love to know what they give their postmen/women or the dustman...not a lot would be my guess...

By sample sizes, Eric's Mum, do you mean those things which I pointed out a few weeks ago are given out as free samples in department stores, but QVC charged £20 plus postage for?

My friend who collects samples has a nice gift idea. She puts a collection of them in clear gift bags tied with ribbon, and gives them throughout the year to people who have been kind to her in little ways. I sometimes do the same, and put them as an ADDITION to a present, not AS a present! QVC really lives in a different world when they think we can't find better things in the shops than free sample sizes of products for £20 plus p&p.

By sample sizes, Eric's Mum, do you mean those things which I pointed out a few weeks ago are given out as free samples in department stores, but QVC charged £20 plus postage for?

My friend who collects samples has a nice gift idea. She puts a collection of them in clear gift bags tied with ribbon, and gives them throughout the year to people who have been kind to her in little ways. I sometimes do the same, and put them as an ADDITION to a present, not AS a present! QVC really lives in a different world when they think we can't find better things in the shops than free sample sizes of products for £20 plus p&p.

It's 4 x 7.5ml samples for £20 plus p&p. Incredible.

Most of the QVC presenters seem to live in a different world, when we hear what they suggest for teacher gifts and stocking fillers. I would love to know what they give their postmen/women or the dustman...not a lot would be my guess...

That's a great idea for a new thread!

It`s all hype and sadly there are people out there who fall for it, hook, line and sinker. I sometimes read Q`s facebook page and to see grown women acting like school kids with their " got mine, got it , got it, can`t wait, it`s mine, all mine, soooooooooo excited blah blah " over a few tubs of toiletries or a handbag or whatever, just shows how pathetic and materialistic we`ve become.
Do they not realise that half the Country has never even heard of QVC, let alone know the names of the silly people who present it and a big chunk of the stuff they buy as gifts will probably end up being donated to the Charity shop in the New Year ?
I`ve recently seen such school yard comments because DF and her poxy groups are going secret or closed or up her own backside or somewhere similarly dark and dank and once again grown women are spitting out their dummies because they might miss half a dozen lines of typing about the latest Kipling or the new Cozee home or a competition to win an empty paper bag and their whole World has ended because they`re banned, barred or haven`t been accepted by DF and her cronies.
Geez who cares, I mean who REALLY cares about it ?

going back to the l'occitane vfm if they sold that summer tsv with 10ml of handcream to thousands of customers they will and can sell anything.

I'd take 4 bottles of wine over 4 piddly L'occitane sample sizes any day!

Me too! What gets me is the way they almost spit when dismissing the idea of giving someone a bottle of wine when visiting. That would be very welcome here.

Keeley (sp?) suggested the £30 men's shaving kit as a teacher's gift again recently. Is there anything they sell that wouldn't make a good teacher's gift?

And when presenters and guests keep telling us that they buy one in each colour or style etc. Well, bully for you. Did it ever occur to them that not everyone is rolling in cash? Lots of them are guilty.

I quite agree with you, Moth. The number of times they say buy 2, 3 or even 4 of a pricey beauty TSV. You save on the postage! So £3 saved and about £66 extra spent then. Or buy on EZP to spread the cost, but three times as much.....

In the few gift shows I have seen, I have also noted a number of ridiculously priced items being suggested as a teacher's gift. I think the other day something was around £25. Well that would do for a family member here!!!!

I do not consider myself strapped for cash, but I sometimes find it uncomfortable viewing when they go on and on in this way. I guess it is supposed to be aspirational TV, LOL!!!!!!

well you've all missed a trick here in interior design speak you should buy things in three's:wink::wink:

I'm sick of hearing ridiculous suggestions for teacher gifts, and the notion we have a gift cupboard for unexpected guests full of diamonique studs,l'occitaine and the like and a freezer full of those manky looking pies in case we have to run to our gadget full kitchens and rustle up a quick meal whilst soothing our unexpected frazzled guests with the scent of "freshly spritzed lemon loo cleaner" from Yankee, with colour changing lights flashing marvelously on the sideboard,then offer them a freshly made 900 thread count beige bed from Kelly Hoppen to rest their heads over night after of course they have luxuriated in a bath of asses milk from Elemis and retire for the night to sweat it out in Carol Hochman jimjams!!
QVC lala land at its finest!!

Me too! What gets me is the way they almost spit when dismissing the idea of giving someone a bottle of wine when visiting. That would be very welcome here.

And here. I laugh my head off when Craig (or someone) says "oh a bottle of wine only lasts a week", er well in my house it is lucky if it lasts a couple of hours lol.

CC

The fact of the matter is, they are sales people and sales people are there to sell, so any old line that makes people buy is fine by them. They don't believe a word of it, either, remember.

I'm sick of hearing ridiculous suggestions for teacher gifts, and the notion we have a gift cupboard for unexpected guests full of diamonique studs,l'occitaine and the like and a freezer full of those manky looking pies in case we have to run to our gadget full kitchens and rustle up a quick meal whilst soothing our unexpected frazzled guests with the scent of "freshly spritzed lemon loo cleaner" from Yankee, with colour changing lights flashing marvelously on the sideboard,then offer them a freshly made 900 thread count beige bed from Kelly Hoppen to rest their heads over night after of course they have luxuriated in a bath of asses milk from Elemis and retire for the night to sweat it out in Carol Hochman jimjams!!
QVC lala land at its finest!!

Thank you for that post Lemonsqueezy, it really made me laugh.

I find these sales pitches quite embarrassing, to be honest. Some of the tosh that comes out of their mouths is pathetic; I know they are there to sell, but whatever happened to common sense? To me, they alienate me rather than inspire me by talking about putting £50 gifts by as a teacher's gift or stashing several in your 'present cupboard'. If it's something that's a cheapy, fair enough, but the Marie Antoinette 'let them eat cake' comments don't impress in the slightest.

The fact of the matter is, they are sales people and sales people are there to sell, so any old line that makes people buy is fine by them. They don't believe a word of it, either, remember.

And 2 cups of coffee costing more than 20 squid. Now I know coffees can be overpriced but according to them you are buying this level everyday so you can cover the cost of a Y Kim in a week by giving up your designer coffee.

Anyway most people giving a bottle of wine when they visit buy the supermarkets special offer (you know the one which is usually a couple of quid dearer so doesn't look like you are a cheapskate) not those at b£20. That just might be given on a special occasion to someone who would appreciate it.

Living in cloud cuckoo land the lot of them.

Latest posts

Back