2 Yankee Candle questions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They are not really true to life. They are pleasant. I find them really strong so cannot burn them for long. I suggest you go to Clintons on the high street and sniff them. Then if you like some of them buy votives. The votives only cost a couple of pounds max so you can sample the fragrances.
Yankee Candle do have some shops around the country. There was one in Chester. Otherwise you can buy on eBay. Amazon.

i would invest in a tart burner and burn the melts/tarts. these have a better throw sometimes over the large candles and are a cheap way to try the scents. i dont really like votives no throw usually and expensive for the lacklustre scenting.

large jars are a bit of artform to get them to burn evenly and spending £20 plus on a candle with little or no scent is disapointing. but most are ok just trial and error

I think it depends which sort of fragrances you like ie Fresh, Floral , Fruity or Foody.

i love the winter collection 3 jar with the argan oil, frakinsence and oud oasis. not got good reviews but fab if you like rich amber scents.plus you get a wick trimmer. also use an illuma lid helps with pooling the wick

I think they are true to life with the exception of Garden Sweet Pea which which to me was very synthetic. I do not find them too strong at all. Also, some are difficult to judge as Sun and Sand for instance is going to be subjective whereas Fresh Cut Roses is an obvious scent. Sadly for my bank balance, I find nearly all of them wonderful, lol.

Fresh Cut Roses and Clean Cotton are good starter fragrances.

Last edited:
And to put the cat firmly among the pigeons, I can't stand Fresh Cut Roses! Nor Garden Sweet Pea, it's a migraine in a jar. My faves are Island Spa, Vanilla Lime, Midnight Jasmine, most of the food ones. I find the larger jars are the best pay-off scentwise, I can never smell the tea-lights. But it's horses for courses. That's not a scent, by the way;-) Not yet!

the prices sweet pea is a lot nicer imo than the yankee one. fresh cut roses is nice, so is midnight jasmine.

I'm reading the recommendations wit interest. Among my dislikes are Baby Powder (smells like johnsons baby powder - yuk); Clean cotton - smells like laundry powder (also yuk for me), but I would say they are very true to life. I find Fresh Cut Roses overpowering and artificial - to swim against the tide. A much nicer and truer rose fragrance is the True Rose, in my opinion.

The Clean Cotton is a best seller, as is Fresh Cut Roses.

The Black Cherry, if you can get it, is fabulous, really gets your mouth watering with a slightly tart, sweet and juicy black cherry scent. It's one of the few "fruity/foodie" scents I like and find accurate.

It's very subjective, as you might gather. All of us smell things slightly differently, just as we all see colour differently, so the best recommendation is to find a high street stockist and go along and get sniffing!

clean cotton and baby powder are major dislikes for me. black cherry is ok but not loved enough by to buy in a large jar. but its a major love love with yankee fans. true rose is very classic compared to fresh cut roses but i prefer the strong fresh scent of fresh cut roses. it also has a green note to it.

i like a lot of candles. some of the more fancy ones you can get in tk maxx quite cheap. more one offs. yankee has a following as they keep bringing out "new" scents all the time which are not new at all just rehasheso old franaces to keep the punters buying and collecting..

It just shows how different we all are, and how differently we pick up the various types of scent. I do best with fresh and floral, some foodie ones I cannot smell at all. Black Cherry is a huge favourite with Yankee fans and smells lovely in the jar, but when I burnt mine it might as well have been an unscented candle!!

the prices sweet pea is a lot nicer imo than the yankee one. fresh cut roses is nice, so is midnight jasmine.

Midnight Jasmine is the only Yankee fragrance so far that I believe tried to kill me. Within 2 minutes of lighting, my throat practically closed up completely. It was the weirdest thing. For days afterwards, I had the taste in mouth. No amount of cleaning my teeth or swilling mouthwash would get rid of it.
Never happened before or since. Strange.

Midnight Jasmine is the only Yankee fragrance so far that I believe tried to kill me. Within 2 minutes of lighting, my throat practically closed up completely. It was the weirdest thing. For days afterwards, I had the taste in mouth. No amount of cleaning my teeth or swilling mouthwash would get rid of it.
Never happened before or since. Strange.

Yikes! Clearly something in the oils they use to create the scent doesn't agree with you Mr M!

I find all of the ones with midnight in the name rather overpowering. If you want a similar but less strong white flower scent, the White Gardenia is a good alternative to Midnight Jasmine.

Yorkrose, as you can see atraight away, tastes and opinions vary, to put it mildly! Another Yankee fan here and I would say they are mostly true to life as Yankee claim, sometimes too much so! You definitely need to go and sniff in a shop but preferably also, as boffy suggests, go for a melt/tart or votive to get the smell of the hot wax before investing in a large jar of anything. Bear in mind though that the strength of a fragrance can depend on the form of the wax. You will notice lots of people on here find the votives and even the large jars don't give off enough fragrance and prefer melting wax in a burner. I like both methods!

I also like other makes apart from Yankee (without meaning to confuse you further, Village Candles are very similar and cheaper, but harder to find) but I think I'll always go back to Yankees. A few people on here know an awful lot about them and have got me addicted so just watch out!

Latest posts

Back