Why should direct despatch take longer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I decided to buy the OTO cordless mower. It was available elsewhere for about the same price, but NOT with the extra battery.

I think the extra battery is essential, as you can have 2 fully charged before you start, then when the first one goes flat, you can charge this and use the second one.

According to the hype, when the second one goes flat, the first one will already be 80% charged, so you can carry on. In theory, you can carry on forever.

But it was direct despatch, 7 to 10 WORKING days, so that could be 2 WEEKS!

In the meantime, my grass is getting longer and longer, and by the time I get it, the grass may be too long for the mower to cut it.

I can't understand why direct despatch should take longer, if anything, it should be faster.

All Q has to do is send details of the orders to the manufacturers. Presumably they have a pile of mowers waiting to be despatched, so they could just slap a label on the boxes and send them off.

Meanwhile, I've discovered that Lidl have a similar mower on the shelf at the moment, and it is £50 cheaper, so I could probably buy an extra battery for that.

My order has now been "in process" for 4 days so far.

If my grass is too long for the power of the mower when it eventually arrives, I will have a good reason to send it back for a full refund, inc both PPs.

The status on Q account page is not updated in real time when it is a direct despatch item, item can often arrive before it shows as shipped!

They quote direct despatch as 7-10 days due to all companies working differently, using different couriers etc.....

You will likely have a fight getting P&P back if it arrives too late for you to cut grass as if it is still within the 7-10 days then Q will say you knew it could take that long as it was stated at time of sale!

What I meant was, the grass may then be too long for the power of the battery to cope with.

The presentation made no mention that it would not be suitable for long grass.

I hope that it WILL be OK even if the grass is long, as I want to keep it.

But if it won't cut it, then it will be useless.

PS I have a large petrol mower for most of my garden, but there are odd shapes of grass where this is very difficult to manouvre, so I hope to use the smaller mower for these areas.

Also to cut the grass at the front, where the large mower won't cut it short enough. And, because it will be much easier to use, I intend to cut the front much more often, and keep the neighbours happy.

The status on Q account page is not updated in real time when it is a direct despatch item, item can often arrive before it shows as shipped!

They quote direct despatch as 7-10 days due to all companies working differently, using different couriers etc.....

You will likely have a fight getting P&P back if it arrives too late for you to cut grass as if it is still within the 7-10 days then Q will say you knew it could take that long as it was stated at time of sale!

I think they are probably aware that it will arrive sooner, but can state 7 to 10 days to cover themselves, Years ago (before they moved with the modern age and actually offered reliable Next Day Delivery (imagine a time when QVC will offer that :)), they quoted a longer time that it actually was going to be and this was the case so that they covered themselves if a parcel was going to come from a different warehouse (I know this because for a short period of time I worked for said company), it is perhaps not strictly fair, but as ever when do Q ever play strictly fair when it comes to delivery!

strato, for what it's worth, I can remember ordering something from a catalogue company some years ago, which was marked "item will be despatched direct from the manufacturers" - and the estimated delivery date was about twice as long as items that came direct from the catalogue company. When I rang the catalogue company to ask why the manufacturers direct delivery took so long, the answer I got was words to the following effect:-

the catalogue company will say this partly to protect themselves, as they have no idea/no control over the current order situation where the manufacturers are concerned (and therefore no control over how quickly the manufacturers process their orders). If the manufacturers are extra busy with their current orders, your order will go to the back of the queue and wait its turn - whereas the catalogue company will know their own turn-round times for items coming direct from themselves.

Don't know if this still applies nowadays, but this was the answer I got (in the event, the item was despatched from the manufacturers and arrived within 4 days, so there was no problem at all, but obviously the catalogue company were covering their own backs!)

I decided to buy the OTO cordless mower. It was available elsewhere for about the same price, but NOT with the extra battery.

I think the extra battery is essential, as you can have 2 fully charged before you start, then when the first one goes flat, you can charge this and use the second one.

According to the hype, when the second one goes flat, the first one will already be 80% charged, so you can carry on. In theory, you can carry on forever.

But it was direct despatch, 7 to 10 WORKING days, so that could be 2 WEEKS!

In the meantime, my grass is getting longer and longer, and by the time I get it, the grass may be too long for the mower to cut it.

I can't understand why direct despatch should take longer, if anything, it should be faster.

All Q has to do is send details of the orders to the manufacturers. Presumably they have a pile of mowers waiting to be despatched, so they could just slap a label on the boxes and send them off.

Meanwhile, I've discovered that Lidl have a similar mower on the shelf at the moment, and it is £50 cheaper, so I could probably buy an extra battery for that.

My order has now been "in process" for 4 days so far.

If my grass is too long for the power of the mower when it eventually arrives, I will have a good reason to send it back for a full refund, inc both PPs.

It actually arrived not long after I posted, so my grass was not too long after all.

However, it will have to go back, for the reasons given in my review shown below.

Unfortunately, I can only put the review here as screenshots. You will have to click each one to make it readable.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Excellent review Alan, I wish more people would write informative reviews on the items I'm thinking of buying. I wonder whether they'll post it?

What you might call not fit for purpose. Were you just unlucky with your particular one, or are these items equally useless, I wonder? Thing is, the customer has all the inconvenience of returning the blurdy thing, and you still haven't got the item that does the job you wanted it for!
It actually arrived not long after I posted, so my grass was not too long after all.

However, it will have to go back, for the reasons given in my review shown below.

Unfortunately, I can only put the review here as screenshots. You will have to click each one to make it readable.

View attachment 11326
View attachment 11327
View attachment 11328
View attachment 11329
View attachment 11330

I know the Items Derek Belcher used to sell on Ideal World were sent from his own warehouse, I don't no if it still does.

But I do always remember him saying any items ordered, were sent the next day by courier, so you would have thought if it was the same, any Mowers would get sent tommorrow

On the subject of timing delays when sent from the manufacturers, I believe this is often the case with JLP who can often beat the manufacturers' delivery dates. However, I am currently boycotting JLP after discovering just how CRAP their customer service actually is! Passed all round the houses with no one ever calling you back. I have always shopped there for household stuff but never again for anything requiring installation. I was shocked to read their reviews on trust pilot (1.5/10), just wish I had read them beforehand! I feel quite bereft now, lol.

Out of interest - I wonder if anyone has ever noticed that my photo slowly changes, and if you linger long enough you will see 8 or 9 of them. You have been warned!

A collection was arranged 2 days ago for today to collect the mower.

I've stayed in the whole day, but the large box is still blocking up my hall!

It has not been arranged by Q but by Handy (Derek's company I think).

I rang them twice, they confirmed all the correct details had been handed over to the courier, UKmail.

So a completely wasted day indoors, with nice weather outside, the first time this week.

Latest posts

Back