The Emperor's New Jewellery.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
If it wasn't for the fact that Hallowe'en is on Thurday, I'd have thought the Links of London show was an April Fools' joke. How much is this stuff? £68 for a piece of coloured string? and £4.95 postage? I keep waiting for the punchline. Besides the cost, everything has Links stamped into it in huge letters. If they want me to advertise their company like that, I'd expect to be given the stuff for free! Fair play that some of their designs look ok but they are ridiculously overpriced. Do those cufflinks come with the dirty great fingerprint as an added extra or is it a cost option? There is nothing special or unique about this range. Why do they think their name is worth that sort of cost?

I agree.It's 250 quid for the silver and gold pendant I liked. No way I am paying that for silver especially after I scrapped some recently and got peanuts for it. Silver is really cheap they make an enormous profit on it. 90% profit I would think looking at links prices.

Links is well worth the premium price, imo, compared to, for example, Pandora, which everyone and their mother own by now. It seems that everyone wanting one of these silver bracelets, to which charms can be added, opt for the most common, Pandora, if they want a premium brand. I chose the Clogau version, the charms are better quality, and not many people have gone for this line. The Links sweetie XS bracelet, is one of the few which isn't so big on my teeny wrist. Just personal opinion, but Links is a premier brand, owned by a more elite jewellery buyer. I'm sure those who have Pandora, love it. There is a wide choice out there.

What would happen if one added say a Links charm to a Pandora bracelet? :screamingpumpkin:

I liked the old idea of getting an empty silver bracelet and adding charms over the year to mark milestones and events.

My sister-out-law has a Pandora and over 2 years added lots of charms and now it's worth £400 she's too afraid to wear it. She is a witless plonker :Shok: but she can't understand how little she'd get for them as scrap silver and I think she'll look at this sitting in her jewellery box in 5 years time and feel stupid for being taken in by marketing hype. These are sold as collectables but they don't strike me as the sought-after antiques of the future.

I guess I need to crawl out from under my rock more often - who is Pandora? And what makes a premium brand premium? Either way, I still didn't like having the name stamped into all the pieces.

Stay where you are Moth, you haven't missed anything and there'll be some other brandwagon along soon!

What would happen if one added say a Links charm to a Pandora bracelet? :screamingpumpkin:

I liked the old idea of getting an empty silver bracelet and adding charms over the year to mark milestones and events.

My sister-out-law has a Pandora and over 2 years added lots of charms and now it's worth £400 she's too afraid to wear it. She is a witless plonker :Shok: but she can't understand how little she'd get for them as scrap silver and I think she'll look at this sitting in her jewellery box in 5 years time and feel stupid for being taken in by marketing hype. These are sold as collectables but they don't strike me as the sought-after antiques of the future.

Thing is because they mark milestones, they will mean nothing to anyone second hand so really they are only valuable to the original owner

I know someone who took all the rings, earrings and pendants she didn`t wear to a jeweller, asked him to remove the gemstones, diamonds and other stones from all of them, weighed in the gold and silver and then asked him to make her a wide silver cuff and set the stones into it in a starburst design. Yes it cost her quite a lot of money but there`s no other piece like it and instead of having lots of pieces either hardly being worn or not being worn at all because jewellery styles have changed, she now has one eye catching piece she can wear all the time.
I nicked her idea on a smaller scale when I simply wasn`t wearing an old diamond cluster ring which had belonged to my Mum because it was one of those 1960`s style tiered clusters which laddered tights and plucked clothes. I had a narrow torque bangle made and the diamonds set into it and now wear it almost continuously.

I have very few pieces of jewellery but I do have a silver pandora bracelet with gold clasp and almost full of silver and gold charms. I have worn it every day for the last 7 years or so except on my wedding day. There are no glass beads on mine and the Pandora charms are solid and hand made. You could say that the scrap value of most of our silver jewellery (Links, Tiffany included) would go for a fraction of the retail price. My bracelet is unique to me and is comprised mainly of charms to mark significant moments in my life such as my engagement in New York (an apple) a castle, a wedding cake, a pram, a dummy, a butterfly, a house. The chinese zodiac to mark my birth year for my 40th birthday. Others mark aspects about me such as my initial, my favourite colour, favourite gemstone, a handbag, a cat, even a teapot to mark my northern roots. So whilst Pandora may be common, no one bracelet should be the same and I think they are a modern take on an old classic. Much copied, and worn by people who like to wear sentimental, as opposed to ostentatious jewellery purchased just because it is "high end".

Im afraid to say I'm a bit of a sucker for a nice shiny piece of Tiffany to mark special occasions. I know its certainly not worth the price tag but at least its a name most would recognise, not that thats important to me in any way! The others mentioned are a bit try to hard for my liking if you know what i mean?

I have a Troll beads bracelet which is similar to the Pandora. I bought mine years ago and like a lot of things these days, the new Troll bracelets aren`t as well made nor as heavy as the older versions.
I must admit I like my Nomination bracelet, it`s an Italian brand , a linked bracelet and you remove a plain link and replace it with a charm link. They have a great selection of charms. The added bonus is that every plain link you remove then slot together and you can form another bracelet with them so nothing is wasted and you can either stack the bracelets or give it to someone else for them to start collecting charms.
http://www.nomination.com/composable_bracelet

I wanted a viventy leather bracelet with a charm or two for my birthday, dropped the hint to the family a few weeks before said date and my husband and son, vaguely recalling the shop and the word bracelet bought a silver pandora lol i have a few charms but, having no patience what so ever, have filled it with glass beads which i will remove as important charms are added. I find the full price of the pandora beads horrendous and totally over priced.

I still want my viventy leather bracelet... someday lol

And talking of over priced I just saw the Folli Follie stuff now on QVC. very pretty, OMG! how much? i think not
www.qvcuk.com/Folli-Follie-Elements...c=609911-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-8-_-609911

Latest posts

Back