The dreaded high street

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
FGS give it a rest woman. Why oh why do they have to flog this latest mantra to death.
I beg to differ about the statement regarding the cost of m&s dresses. I got a few really good quality ones for 45 quid NOT in the sale, no p&p', no waiting over 10 days for delivery and earned my points.

If we don't support the high street they'll be no shops left. As it is there are more and more empty spaces where yet another retailer has closed.. Soon the high street will. just be a range of coffee shops.

I've noticed they've flogged this to death on QVC. I went to my local high street this morning, bought some great 50% off bargains in Boots, Matalan and Asda, there were no manic crowds, no long queues and it's all unpacked and put away. I've re-discovered the dreaded High Street and love it.

They are flogging this theme to death (started just before Christmas) - its a war zone out there, there are cars and traffic jams everywhere, no parking spaces, people aggressively searching for bargains... I'm getting very bored with this sort of sales technique now ...

I agree LEL that we need to support the high street otherwise it will no longer be there.

I moved from Q back to the High Street a long time ago. I much prefer being able to touch items, smell perfumes, try on clothes and take half a dozen items in to a fitting room than add up extortinate postage costs to buy and return via Q, plus traipse to a post office to return things and wait god knows how long for a refund, oh and be disappointed time after time with poor quality goods. Every penny counts these days and at around a fiver an item p and p from Q it soon adds up to the cost of another pair of shoes, bottle of perfume, jumper or jar of face cream from a high street store. As for the 30day mbg well I think that old chestnut is also overused. Clothes I try before I buy, same with perfumes and skincare, I often come away with free samples to use at home, I can test then walk away and think about it plus I know if I buy a washing machine, TV or other electrical item most stores will replace it if its faulty when delivered and will be covered by a 12 month guarantee. My step daughter bought a tablet from Argos, it was faulty, she returned it, they didnt have another in stock and gave her a refund there and then. With Q you`d have to wait days to get your money back. If you buy something electrical from Q and it breaks down after the 30 days then you`ll probably have to contact the manufacturer unlike buying from PC World or such like.

I don't dread the high street at all, I quite like it. But I also like QVC. The two shopping sources co-exist quite nicely in my world. Both have pluses and minuses. Neither is ever likely to win ALL my hard earned cash.

I don't dread the high street at all, I quite like it. But I also like QVC. The two shopping sources co-exist quite nicely in my world. Both have pluses and minuses. Neither is ever likely to win ALL my hard earned cash.

I fully agree but the difference is the sales staff in Debenhams, Boots, Next or any other store isn`t likely to stand there and spend 5 minutes slagging off Q ....

I too have returned to the high street and its far better value.I refuse to go at the moment as I hate crowds and queues so have done a bit of online shopping today (boots and ebay) but my recent rediscovery of the high street has had a good effect on my purse and the decline of watching QVC for me!!

I really like popping into to actual shops when I can, especially little one off ones local to me. I would hate to think they wouldn't be there and a few have closed. So I made a real point this year of getting everything I could there before looking further afield. Seems funny to think we used to only ever be able to get what we saw locally apart from a few catalogues, often you can still find the nicest things that way.

Its a shame as I often used to go up to our town centre on my way home from work and wander around the shops and then they upped the parking charges by over 100% and so I voted with my feet so to speak, that and the cost of petrol made internet shopping more attractive to me.

FGS give it a rest woman. Why oh why do they have to flog this latest mantra to death.
I beg to differ about the statement regarding the cost of m&s dresses. I got a few really good quality ones for 45 quid NOT in the sale, no p&p', no waiting over 10 days for delivery and earned my points.

and no tea bags.....

The thing about QVC and the cost of parking is that you don't pay parking again every time you buy another item.

Okay yes I did buy a few things online(not QVC your sale is crap!), but did hit the sales on Boxing Day.

Don't drive so actually walked into city centre and got the bus home. Chatted with friendly sales assistants, looked at things in real life, before buying.

SpaceNK could beat QVC Beauty discounts in to a pulp!!!

Diptyque fragrance £68 down to £10!
L'Artisan Parfumeur half price Chasing Butterflies(didn't buy that)
Three high end candles £20 for all of them!
Laura Mercier kits 70% off!!!!
Kevyn Aucoin half price
Eve Lom sets half price.

Other stores Elemis gift sets 25-30% off.

Okay yes I did buy a few things online(not QVC your sale is crap!), but did hit the sales on Boxing Day.

Don't drive so actually walked into city centre and got the bus home. Chatted with friendly sales assistants, looked at things in real life, before buying.

SpaceNK could beat QVC Beauty discounts in to a pulp!!!

Diptyque fragrance £68 down to £10!
L'Artisan Parfumeur half price Chasing Butterflies(didn't buy that)
Three high end candles £20 for all of them!
Laura Mercier kits 70% off!!!!
Kevyn Aucoin half price
Eve Lom sets half price.

Other stores Elemis gift sets 25-30% off.

Yes and with samples to boot

The other day I went into town and I tried on 4 dresses in one shop which would have been £20 p and p if I`d ordered from Q, I tried on at least 3 pairs of shoes in another shop, another £15 p and p if I`d ordered from Q and tested 2 perfumes in Boots sale which would have been another £10 p and p if I`d ordered from Q. That would have been a total of approx £45 just to try stuff and then almost equivalent to return them. It cost me just £4.50 for a day saver bus ticket. Sometimes I think people just don`t realise how the p and p and returns add up. That £45 would buy me the new dress I got in the sale for £20 and the shoes I also got for £19.50 plus a fiver left over to pay my bus fares. A no brainer if you ask me !

Although the 30 day MBG is OK for some it seems that rather than instilling confidence it actually has the reverse effect.

I mean they really bang on about it continually thus making people think that they dont have confidence in their own products. Ive never been in a real shop where their main selling point seems to be the ability to return it if you dont like it. Just a thought

Have to say, so far I have been very underwhelmed by the sales in the shops. Thought John Lewis was dire. Only thing of any note so far purchased was a Prada jacket at half price from Selfridges - and they managed to leave the blinkin' security tag on so I have now got to trudge all the way back to have it removed. V Annoying. :down: Still better than QVC's offerings.

Although the 30 day MBG is OK for some it seems that rather than instilling confidence it actually has the reverse effect.

I mean they really bang on about it continually thus making people think that they dont have confidence in their own products. Ive never been in a real shop where their main selling point seems to be the ability to return it if you dont like it. Just a thought

I suppose as opposed to the high street where you can get a good look and feel for what you are buying when buying of the tv or internet you don't really know hence you get the distance selling regulations.

I know that when QVC did the Samsung 3d tv we were interested but I was wary so went and had a look at Curry's and actually bought if from them eventually after doing some research. I am very aware of postage so don't take much notice of the 30 day mbg as I don't want to pay for the privilige of looking at something.

Amazon are great as they not only do the free postage but when I had to return a faulty blu ray disc I was able to take it to a local collection point therefore not costing me anthing to return and to top it off I didn't have to wait for them to receive it back they sent out another copy straight away.

I would agree you can't beat the high street for a lot of things but I think that the internet not shopping tv has now changed the way we shop for ever,

I have to say amazon us fab.I bought my son an xbox game and on trying it,it doesn't work.Amazon have already refunded me the money and as cazzie has said,I just take it to my local collect point and send it back for free.My loval collect point is actually my local newsagent 5/10 mins walk away so its hardly hassle.

On the sale note,I'm looking at bits and pieces for my house and there are some real finds to be had.....I just hate being rushed.I like to think,have a measure,have a think again.....whilst I don't want to miss the boat,I can't help but think these prices will come round again....

Unfortunately QVC can offer me nothing these sales...their sale is SO rubbish :down: I may have been tempted by a NN flannel if I saw one in the sale but I truly believe their sale prices are not anything spectacular.

I would love to see some NN flannel in the sale but I know it won't happen, as with a lot of sales it's a chance to get rid of the stuff nobody wants...bah humbug I say.

Latest posts

Back