Shoe TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

YORKO

Registered Shopper
Morning All

I watched the repeat of the TSV launch this morning and the presenter and Jilly were discussing grip on the bottom of shoes.

The presenter said a curious thing

"how many times have you spent ages scoring the bottom of your shoes with scissors to get grip"

Now I myself have never done this or heard of it, anyone else???

My mum used to do years and years ago. Usually high heels, on oilcloth like floors you could slip. Actually it was sandpaper she used.

Gosh not heard the word oilcloth for years.

My dad used to call it th'oilcloth :sun:

I still wipe new shoes with a smooth sole on concrete when I first wear them to score them
I look like I'm skating.

Morning All

I watched the repeat of the TSV launch this morning and the presenter and Jilly were discussing grip on the bottom of shoes.

The presenter said a curious thing

"how many times have you spent ages scoring the bottom of your shoes with scissors to get grip"

Now I myself have never done this or heard of it, anyone else???

I remember my Dad scraping the bottom of his newly soled shoes with a screwdriver. It was in the days when men's shoes would be made to last for years and years, and they would be re-soled periodically.

I remember metal HeelSavers nailed to the men's shoes. Sounded like horseshoes clopping and scraping along the street.

I have a 'scuffing' session outside on my patio for new leather soles, AND THEN have them rubber soled at the cobblers - makes them last longer.

Me too!!

I also remember frequently getting them put on the heels of my shoes at Victoria Station, before getting on the tube on route to work. Nowadays, people just throw the shoes out and get a new pair (I do anyway!)

me too, having shoes soled and heeled costs a fortune and they never seem to wear for long, I suppose they use soft-ish rubber so that they soon need replacing again. I also scuff the backs and heels of shoes,(accidentally) so by the time the soles and heels have worn down, the shoes are ready for the bin. This is why I never spend a lot on shoes. I'm not a shoe geek anyway, just have 2 pairs on the go at once.

I've got lovely leather flat sandals I bought in Spain that have leather soles and they're sodding lethal in the wet. Is rather walk barefoot in the rain than risk breaking my neck in em.

Never thought of roughing up the soles ... duh!!

528935_10151292509207542_1632120859_n.jpg

Erm nope. I don't throw shoes out until they are beyond repair. I get the toes and heels done as and when they need it. I do buy cheapy sandals and ballet flats that I may simply throw out at the end if their life but not my proper shoes.

I'm such a shoe queen that if I buy a pair that I absolutely love I'll go and buy a second identical pair to put away so that when one pair wears out I have a replacement. I've done that with a couple of pairs of LK Bennet shoes, Oasis flip flops and even suede boots.

I still wipe new shoes with a smooth sole on concrete when I first wear them to score them
I look like I'm skating.

I do that too! :nod: Any sign of ice or a slippery floor and I'm over, so need all the help I can get!

Oh and I understand perfectly about buying an extra identical pair of shoes that you particularly love. I can seldom find boots to fit, but when I do I have been known to get an extra pair in reserve.

Oh buying boots can be such a nightmare. I love knee high boots but I've got chubby calves. That makes buying boots difficult but I've also got long legs so it's nigh on impossible for me to get boots long enough. I buy my boots from Duo Boots they do oodles of different calf sizes and their sales are fantastic. Usually reduced from £200 to less than £100.

Latest posts

Back