Red Carpet Gel nail system - how are you getting on? I think I wish I had bought it

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What's the Boots system/range called Jabba? Middle DD has been babbling on about collecting a load of gel nail stuff recently to do it herself but do they all work on false nail tips, as her own nails have taken a bit of a hammering recently with running around after & playing with a lively 2 year old!
(Sorry, makes me sound a bit thick but my knowledge of nail stuff doesn't go beyond 'ooooh, pwetty colour'.....! lol)

Sensationail!

Its not a patch on RCM colours don't have the same depth to them iykwim

Kind of wishing I'd bought this now too. Will look out to see if it turns up on easy pay. I've had Shellac before and liked it, but the cost and commitment to making appointments made me stop having it.

KittenWithClaws, you want pwetty? Google Images + Lucy'sStash or NailNerd or PolishedPerfectionist. Their nails are gorgeous. Their tutorials on Manicures and NailCare may inspire you. ;-) x Snarly

KittenWithClaws, you want pwetty? Google Images + Lucy'sStash or NailNerd or PolishedPerfectionist. Their nails are gorgeous. Their tutorials on Manicures and NailCare may inspire you. ;-) x Snarly

Thank you Snarly, I will pass those excellent links onto middle DD, who is always on the lookout for new ideas! :sun:

(I can't see well enough to paint my own nails with a simple base colour nowadays, I did do it the other week but it took over an hour of peering/swearing/removing the smudged bits/more swearing, so I think I'll give up totally now, as I have with make-up! I keep a small stash of N.I. colours in a pressie drawer & when the DDs come to visit, I invite them to choose whatever they fancy, whereupon they fall upon said stash like a pride of lions on a lame antelope, so I do at least get some pleasure from buying new colours etc.! lol)

KittenWithClaws, I just bought a MatteTopCoat which makes another way of finishing the nails, cheaper way to 'mattify' my polishes instead of buying MattePolishes. Saw gorjuss piccie of black MatteFinish nail with GlossFinish nail tips and halfmoons - tonal, understated and classy (GoogleImages+NailPolish+Licorice). A hint I read for painting tips for French/American Manicures was to knot a rubber band under the finger and adjust top to follow your nail tip, then paint the end. Simples! Ooh, I just love experts who pass on their hints ;-) Enjoy! x Snarly

In the July / August Boots magazine there's a voucher for £10 off this system

Yes I saw that and if you have a Boots card you also collect £10 worth of points - taking it down to about £60 but when I compared the Boots one with the Red Carpet one I realised that the Boots one only gave you 10 applications whilst the Red Carpet one gave you 20 applications and RC has 3 nail varnishes in a decent size whilst the Boots just has one nail in a miniscule size. Also can return the RC under QVC 30 day money back guarantee so that completely sold it to me.

You can buy a UV lamp for gel nails on Ebay for £14 now and gel colours very cheaply. Just make sure you pick up soak off gel which will come off with acetone when you want it to.

You can buy a UV lamp for gel nails on Ebay for £14 now and gel colours very cheaply. Just make sure you pick up soak off gel which will come off with acetone when you want it to.

Is this a UV LED Lamp with timer? Just curious but I've bought the Red Manicure one anyway.

Thanks for the tip on the soak off gel nail polish. I can see there are loads on ebay

Last edited:
It's a 36watt UV lamp with bulbs and timer. Not LED but it's the UV that sets gel, doesn't matter what type of bulb it is as long as there's enough UV to complete the process. They're selling LED ones too but I haven't checked pricing on those.

LED bulbs last a long time so there shouldn't be any need to change the bulbs (probably can't anyway). Sometimes it is a problem to find a replacement bulb for non LED.

Its arrived and I have my first gel manicure. I read the instructions online and then followed the instructions in the enclosed leaflet. Easy peasy. Only odd thing is that my nails feel tight. Wonder what condition my nails will be in when I take it off in two weeks?

Its arrived and I have my first gel manicure. I read the instructions online and then followed the instructions in the enclosed leaflet. Easy peasy. Only odd thing is that my nails feel tight. Wonder what condition my nails will be in when I take it off in two weeks?

Please keep us informed iloveshopping I am really tempted with this after reading the rave reviews on here and on QVC. But I am worried too about the state of the nails after removing the gel. Proper gel nails wreck your nails, my friend had them and it took her about 18 months to get her nails back into good condition again after having her gels removed.

I was looking at the Boots Sensational products today instore and they have a nice selection of colours. I would probably buy the one off QVC though as I could return it if I didnt like it.

Did you use the cuticle oil afterwards in case you touched your skin around the nailbed
with the curing top coat? 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a lot of checking about this, since I am interested in getting the RCM too. I once had 'proper' gel nails and, yes, they did ruin my nails. But mostly this is down to the thickness of the many layers and the pressure of the artificial tips bending my nails which, as it turned out, weren't strong enough to bear it. They were weakened, they split and they took several months to restore. The gel polish systems are very different. There's no tip to support, for a start and you're not trying to build rock-hard nails, just really long-lasting polish on top of your natural nails.

Did you use the cuticle oil afterwards in case you touched your skin around the nailbed
with the curing top coat? ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
. Yes I did. The tight feeling started quite early on in the process possibly when I put the first coat of naol varnish. Was concentrating more on what I was doing so can't remember exactly when. I also wonder what damage the UVA rays will do to my fingers

After dithering for ages, I've just ordered this, while its still at an introductory price. I've had Shellac before and liked it but the cost and having to commit to fortnightly appointments put me off.

If I don't like it, at least I can send it back, so I guess worse case scenario I get a "free" gel manicure. Like the look of the other colours QVC have, but hopefully I'll be able to experiment with the Boots ones and the ones I've seen on eBay.

I have a job where my hands are on show a lot and normal polish is such a faff, having to redo a couple of times a week.

Really looking forward to it arriving now!:mysmilie_378::mysmilie_378::mysmilie_488:

I decided to go for it too PE - I ordered it on Friday at around 3pm and it arrived today, must be some sort of record!

I used it this afternoon and it was much easier than I thought it would be. It takes a little time but was not difficult at all. I did manage to get a bubble in one nail so tried to even it up and ended up chipping the corner - so I thought i would take that one off and re-do. Followed the instructions to remove it and it literally 'slid' off in one. So hopefully they will all remove like that when I want them to, as removing it was concerning me as people said it was difficult.

The finish is lovely - if it lasts as long as it is supposed to I will be well pleased.

Latest posts

Back