Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If you look at other retailers like Boots, Sainsbury's M&S etc. They are no longer owned by the original founders and some places like House of Fraser Debenhams and more went bankrupt and were purchased recently, they still refer to their original heritage. It's all about brand recognition. Debenhams and Top Shop failed as businesses but their names were worth millions to online retailers who bought them. IW want us to see it as business as usual
Hmm, I know what you mean, but those businesses are still the same basic organisations, many of same management and staff, same premises, offices, warehouses, shops. Mainly.

Just bought or invested by new parties. In the case of Sainsbury's, the family still own 5%, I see.

When Walmart bought Asda, and now the Issa brother(s), with TDG, it is still the same Asda company. Just the owners/investors changed.

IW3 is just a name, acquired Freeview channel, some IW2 kit bought from Peterborough and it is TJC/new staff running it, not the Ideal World staff, who were made redundant. In the main.

So IW in name only, really.
TJC Homewares would be a more realistic channel business name.

Not so much in price/value but in item selection.

Tote Bags, holdalls, security cameras, metal embossed jewellery boxes, wireless chargers, doorbell cameras, soundbar.

Bit better than walking canes, copper-infused socks and plastic parrots.

Somebody looks as if they're at least trying to buy in better quality stock items.

Er, maybe a marginally more diverse selection, but half of that sort of stuff has been sold on TJC for years. They get a few lots in, sell it ad infinitum, then it disappears. After buying IW they shifted most of that stuff over to there. I'm not sure that means "somebody" has changed their approach to stock acquisition, just maintained it.

Don't get carried away by seeing a few familiar brand names. IW3 isn't now striking deals with brands and using major suppliers. like IW2 did. It's the same model TJC has used for years (and why they're profitable): buy cheap, buy direct, buy clearance stock.

When Wilko's went to the wall, IW3 had a show selling Wilko's branded something or other (can't remember what it was now - wipes? might've been wipes). I'm not criticising that model - it's the back bone of most discount stores - but I don't think it means IW3 is somehow better than that (as it tries to portray itself as).

If they're doing a Slazenger, Xenta, or Tefal show ever week for several months, selling a range of different items from those brands, and not just lots of shows selling one thing from those brands, then nothing more, that'd maybe prove me wrong…

Unless you're being satirical and I'm misreading you? I mean you do say "better quality stock items" after referencing tin jewellery boxes and billy no-brand 0.3MP security cameras sending who-knows-what back to where once it gets access to your home wi-fi… 😂

But if people are happy paying £40 in 2024 a white-label soundbar made in 2012 with worse sound quality than most Poundland headphones, rock on - things are only worth what people are willing to pay after all, and it's why this channel remains profitable.

Last edited:
Er, maybe a marginally more diverse selection, but half of that stuff has been sold on TJC for years. They'd get a lot in, sell it ad infinitum, then it disappears. Once they got IW they just shifted most of that stuff over to there. I'm not sure that means "somebody" has changed their approach to stock acquisition.

Don't get carried away by seeing a few familiar brand names. IW3 isn't now striking deals with brands and using major suppliers. like IW2 did. It's the same model TJC has used for years (and why they're profitable): buy cheap, buy direct, buy clearance stock.

When Wilko's went to the wall, IW3 had a show selling Wilko's branded something or other (can't remember what it was now - wipes? might've been wipes).

If they're doing a Slazenger, Xenta, or Tefal show ever week for several months, selling a range of different items from those brands, and not just lots of shows selling one thing from those brands, then nothing more, that'd maybe prove me wrong…

Unless you're being satirical and I'm misreading you? I mean you do say "better quality stock items" after referencing tin jewellery boxes and billy no-brand 0.3MP security cameras sending who-knows-what back to where once it gets access to your home wi-fi… 😂

But if people are happy paying £40 in 2024 a white-label soundbar made in 2012 with worse sound quality than most Poundland headphones, rock on - things are only worth what people are willing to pay after all, and it's why this channel remains profitable.
I wasn't mocking, just noting the very slight uptick in product variety and level of appeal.

Not commenting on value/price/quality of the actual items. Just the range has, slightly, improved beyond the total low-rent tat that was solely being offered before.

P.S. do we actually know if IW3, specifically, is profitable in its own right... yet?

It isn't anything at the moment, unless you count 'overgrown with weeds'. It was on Rightmove for months.
At the time IW2 was in trouble towards the end, Sports Direct took interests/loans guarantees from IW2 owners assets/business.

Do we know if Sports Direct made money, a loss, or got their cash back?

I may be misunderstanding, but TJC did not buy out IW2, only the assets they wanted from the administrator, so no deal direct with Sports Direct.

Only what the administrator would have given Sports Direct as a prime creditor on the initial remaining IW2 assets after it went into administration, or after TJC purchased some assets, some or all of the cash from that purchase of assets may have gone to Sports Direct's outstanding lien (loan charge)?

Er, maybe a marginally more diverse selection, but half of that sort of stuff has been sold on TJC for years. They get a few lots in, sell it ad infinitum, then it disappears. After buying IW they shifted most of that stuff over to there. I'm not sure that means "somebody" has changed their approach to stock acquisition, just maintained it.

When Wilko's went to the wall, IW3 had a show selling Wilko's branded something or other (can't remember what it was now - wipes? might've been wipes). I'm not criticising that model - it's the back bone of most discount stores - but I don't think it means IW3 is somehow better than that (as it tries to portray itself as).

I'm just saying I'd rather see/buy a cr@p soundbar than a cr@p plastic parrot.

A decent quality plastic parrot, on the other hand... 🦜

(I should have said better level of item, than 'quality'; agreed.)

Same shi…different day..Mason flogging flasks…Same repetitive analogies. Same dodgy texts - Quincy?? All so tedious…Horatio Nelson scent later. Is that the one that smells of the sea and broken biscuits?

Latest posts

Back